Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

VDC and SLIP light come on when it's cold...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:01 PM
calin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VDC and SLIP light come on when it's cold...HELP!

For the past few days, every morning I drive my car my VDC and "SLIP" lights on the dash come on, and stay on. I always let the car warm up before driving, but as soon as I put the car in gear, they come on . I tried turning the car off and back on at stop lights and that makes the lights go away for a few seconds, but then they're there again. Again, this only happens in the morning when it's cold outside. Has anyone else had this problem before? I figured there's no point in taking it to the dealer because they'll just tell me to bring the car in when the lights come on again. But by the time the service department is open, it's not that cold out anymore . I need to go to the dealer in a few hundred miles for an oil change anyways, but I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem with their Z.

And since you were nice enough to open this thread, I bring sammiches OP delivers!!!1!

Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
calin
Banned

Oh and I thought my tire pressure might have something to do with it, but pressures are fine
Old 12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
BonesZ33

GOT THE SAME PROBLEM....... i think its ice buidlup in the abs sensor!! because i washed my car and my wheels with a pressure washer from the car wash and the problem stopped... try that out.. let me know if u fiure it out peace
Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
GOT THE SAME PROBLEM....... i think its ice buidlup in the abs sensor!! because i washed my car and my wheels with a pressure washer from the car wash and the problem stopped... try that out.. let me know if u fiure it out peace
Well it's a little cold in the mornings here, but I don't think it's cold enough for ice buildup. I'll look into it though, thanks!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:15 AM
calin
Banned

bump...anybody else?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:00 AM
fatcircles

I was just about to make a thread on this. Same thing happens with me, but not when its cold. It happens in the summer and in the winter.

Tonight I was driving and was in 3rd gear coming up on a light that turned yellow so I went WOT and shifted at about 4.5k into 4th.

I saw the BRAKE light go on for a bit, then both the VDC off light and SLIP light came on and stayed on.

For some reason whenever I go WOT, even if I shift early and slowly, this happens, and I can't seem to figure out why.

Car is a bone stock 2004 Z.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by fatcircles
I was just about to make a thread on this. Same thing happens with me, but not when its cold. It happens in the summer and in the winter.

Tonight I was driving and was in 3rd gear coming up on a light that turned yellow so I went WOT and shifted at about 4.5k into 4th.

I saw the BRAKE light go on for a bit, then both the VDC off light and SLIP light came on and stayed on.

For some reason whenever I go WOT, even if I shift early and slowly, this happens, and I can't seem to figure out why.

Car is a bone stock 2004 Z.
Ya my brake light comes on too when it's cold but usually goes away about 2 minutes after I start the car. I was at the dealer today and they told me that the cold weather throws the sensors off, which is why the lights come on. But it's weird that yours come on even when its not cold
Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

when i had this problem it was my camshaft POS sensor.. you need to read the codes if you have any
Old 12-27-2008, 03:25 AM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by doug
when i had this problem it was my camshaft POS sensor.. you need to read the codes if you have any
Oh ya, never thought of that. I'll need to check where I can borrow an OBD2 scanner from. Thanks Doug!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 AM
jsmerkel

I had this problem, with the Brake light also lit, and the dealer said it was an indication that my brake pads were low. I just had them replaced, and so far the lights are out.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Cold weather.
Brake pads.
Brake fluid.
-or-
Build-up on sensors.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 AM
07rdsterGT

Ok, I was about to start a thread on the same thing. This morning on my way to work I noticed that my VDC and SLIP lights were on (it was crazy cold here, only 10F). When I would approach a stoplight or had to come to a stop because of traffic the brake light would come on, then go off when I would accelerate again.

I checked the brake fluid; it's in between the min and max marker lines. The pads only have 18k on them and there is substantial amount of pad left. PLUS, the brake pads have their own warning light and they are equipped with the tab that squeals on the rotor when the pads are low.

The only thing about this morning is it was crazy cold out; there was no ice build up on anything, no frost, etc.

So when those lights come on when it’s cold like that, is the VDC actually not working, or are the lights just coming on?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM
07rdsterGT

Ok, just an FYI for this thread.

I was reading this thread here

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...fter-hpde.html

and apparently, even if your brake fluid level is in between min and max that can still be the culprit, especially if your brake pads are coming to the last third of their life. Solution; fill the brake fluid to tha max line.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:35 PM
NISMOFO

I got this tonight while driving on the highway. Also got the SES light as well.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 AM
chelorican2000

Hey guys, thanks for the info... as you can tell I also have this problem, the dealership only said that it was an issue that needed to be looked at but to determine this they wanted me to pay an exagerated amount of cash just to tell me what was causing the problem. I'll try your suggestions first and see what happens.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:24 AM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by 07rdsterGT
Ok, just an FYI for this thread.

I was reading this thread here

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...fter-hpde.html

and apparently, even if your brake fluid level is in between min and max that can still be the culprit, especially if your brake pads are coming to the last third of their life. Solution; fill the brake fluid to tha max line.
Hmmmm....interesting. My light stopped coming on after I got new brake pads
Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 AM
07rdsterGT

Did you try topping off your fluid first? How many miles did your pads have on them?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 AM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by 07rdsterGT
Did you try topping off your fluid first? How many miles did your pads have on them?
No I didn't....I didn't think it would have anything to do with the fluids. I got 24k miles our of my rear pads. The fronts still have a little bit of meat on them
Old 01-25-2009, 06:56 AM
07rdsterGT

24k is good enough. Close enough to the expected 30k

I only have 19,200 on mine. So I know they aren't done for yet. Topping off the fluid worked for me.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 AM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by NISMOFO
I got this tonight while driving on the highway. Also got the SES light as well.
Update: My issue was a code P0340 which was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Dealership replaced it and did a reflash, but I had to pay out of pocket.

Quick Reply: VDC and SLIP light come on when it's cold...HELP!