Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

TSB for fuel door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 01:00 AM
SirZaLot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB for fuel door?

Is there any TSB for fuel door not opening?? Now is getting worse, everytime I fill up, I have to walk back and forth at least 2 or 3 times just to open the dame door. Anybody having the same problem?
Is it maybe a problem with the spring being too weak? Can we fix it ourselves??
Old 08-27-2003, 02:56 AM
FrankieZZ

KaiKai,

I had the same problem ! Spray the little black plastic lever( that releases the door ) with WD40 and work it in and out for several seconds . It helps the door from sticking closed , but I have since found that you will need to repeat this from time to time . My 350Z was an early preorder , VIN3395 . Good luck !

FrankieZZ
Old 08-27-2003, 05:21 AM
350z-to-be

got the same problem myself. I just wedge my fingernail under and pry it up everytime. I'll try the WD-40.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:09 AM
SirZaLot

Ok, when you press the button to release the fuel door, the door suppose to bounce open( if it's working correctly). Isn't that means there is some kind of spring to bounce the door open? Can't we just change to a longer spring or a more bouncy spring??
Old 08-28-2003, 01:13 AM
SirZaLot

FrankieZZ
Thanks for the WD40 solution.

350z-to-be
I try to pry it up with my credit card, doesn't work!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:55 AM
FrankieZZ

I think the only spring , if there is one , is possibly behind that black lever and I wouldn't want to take that apart anyway , but rather the lid is held in simply by that black lever that moves in and out . I spent all kinds of time trying to come up with a permanent solution , but no luck .The only thing that I could do was keep that black lever lubricated and it seems to help somewhat . But you still have to give it a hit of WD40 from time to time !The problem lies in that little black lever and its not being pulled back enough !

Frank

PS One thing I did notice when fooling around with it , and this is another variable , was the way I hit the gas lid release button. If I hit it too hard , it wouldn't open , even after lubrication . For what it's worth .......

Last edited by FrankieZZ; 08-28-2003 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:07 AM
SteveZ

Also be careful how you route the plastic line holding the cap - if you wedge under the door it can pinch and make the door hard to open (too much pull)- if the door does not site straight on the car when closed (I mean perfect) you may be closing the plastic line under the hinge area. Worked for me.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:10 AM
SteveZ

Originally posted by FrankieZZ
I think the only spring , if there is one , is possibly behind that black lever and I wouldn't want to take that apart anyway , but rather the lid is held in simply by that black lever that moves in and out . I spent all kinds of time trying to come up with a permanent solution , but no luck .The only thing that I could do was keep that black lever lubricated and it seems to help somewhat . But you still have to give it a hit of WD40 from time to time !The problem lies in that little black lever and its not being pulled back enough !

Frank

PS One thing I did notice when fooling around with it , and this is another variable , was the way I hit the gas lid release button. If I hit it too hard , it wouldn't open , even after lubrication . For what it's worth .......

Or the litte black lever has too much friction if the door is pinching the line to the cap (pushes the door out slightly) - the little black lever won't release, just be careful to route the plastic line to the cap more toward the open space and where it won't get pinched closing the door. It's a pretty wimpy setup for such a nice car!
Old 08-29-2003, 11:04 PM
SirZaLot

Originally posted by SteveZ
Also be careful how you route the plastic line holding the cap - if you wedge under the door it can pinch and make the door hard to open (too much pull)- if the door does not site straight on the car when closed (I mean perfect) you may be closing the plastic line under the hinge area. Worked for me.
Man, that's how I close the door after filling the gas, and the door still doesn't want to cooperate.........

Anybody try to bring this to the dealer? And what did they have to say?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:51 AM
SHOCKWAVE77

I have the same problem with mines. The door lever is weak and won't open. Someone please help me!

Last edited by SHOCKWAVE77; 07-31-2009 at 02:46 PM.