Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

clutch stutter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch stutter

My clutch is noisy. I know thats normal.

I'm having a different problem however, sometimes when i let off the clutch instead of catching cleanly and progressively it seems to "stutter." It will still bite hard if i let it out quickly and it doesn't really affect my driving that much, but its annoying and anything but smooth. My car only has 14K on it with only a couple of hard launches, so i dont think it has anythig to do with being worn out.

It does not stutter EVERY time, and seems to pop up more often when the car is cold and starting on a hill. Has anyone else had this issue? Or any idea of what it could possibly be?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 PM
kral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got that 'stutter' too, you can hear the rough "gr gr gr gr" noise that complements the stutter as well as the feel of it in the clutch pedal.
I had this almost since the car was brand new, with no launches, etc. I haven't felt it lately since I barely let the clutch slip in 1st just enough to get it going..the rpm literally bounces to 0 and back up while the car feels like it's gonna stall lol..just tells you how gentle I am with the clutch
Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM
moflow

Originally Posted by kral
I got that 'stutter' too, you can hear the rough "gr gr gr gr" noise that complements the stutter as well as the feel of it in the clutch pedal.
I had this almost since the car was brand new, with no launches, etc. I haven't felt it lately since I barely let the clutch slip in 1st just enough to get it going..the rpm literally bounces to 0 and back up while the car feels like it's gonna stall lol..just tells you how gentle I am with the clutch
yes exactly!

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one. Dont really want to take my car to the dealer and then have them tell me "that's normal" anyone else with this problem?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:54 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know what "stutter" means. The problem with troubleshooting a clutch is that you have to take it apart and look at it. Not cheap.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 PM
_Donovan_

Originally Posted by moflow
yes exactly!

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one. Dont really want to take my car to the dealer and then have them tell me "that's normal" anyone else with this problem?
Same here. But it seems to have progressed a little more. When stopping and I press the clutch and have in neutral to stop, it sometimes actually does stall.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To my knowledge all 350z clutches will "stutter", especially if you're starting from a low rpm, not applying enough throttle, and end up giving it more throttle halfway through the clutch engagement. It's almost as if the clutch "bounces" as you're engaging it.

You'll learn the proper way to feather the clutch so you never get it. I still get it once in a while when I'm not really paying attention and the wife looks at me like I'm tearing the car apart.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
moflow

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
To my knowledge all 350z clutches will "stutter", especially if you're starting from a low rpm, not applying enough throttle, and end up giving it more throttle halfway through the clutch engagement. It's almost as if the clutch "bounces" as you're engaging it.

You'll learn the proper way to feather the clutch so you never get it. I still get it once in a while when I'm not really paying attention and the wife looks at me like I'm tearing the car apart.

Thanks! very helpful response. I'm sure i'll get used to it.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
MongooseZ31

Originally Posted by kral
Hey whats up? Thats a good way to save your clutch. But you are DESTROYING your crankshaft main bearings! That actually add tremendous struss to the crank and the bearings. You making the engine strain more as well, you will get better life, cleaner oil and better fuel economy by shifting a but before 2000 Rpm. Let me know if you notice any difference. https://my350z.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
drewk

I just got an act 6 puck clutch and lightened flywheel. OMG its so annoying. Chatter, rattle... . Does anyone have any fixes for this? The whole car shakes, I have a hard time getting into 5th gear (it sounds like a misshift). What a pos.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:47 PM
LehighGuy

I actually just had a transmission shop replace my clutch, and the brand new one chatters like a ****! the old one seemed fine too, no idea why they replaced it... that's not even why I took it in!