Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post Here If You Are Having Problems With Your 2nd Gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:04 PM
ssk0771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Here If You Are Having Problems With Your 2nd Gear.

I was wondering how many Z owners are having problem with their 2nd gear. Please post if you feel that there is something wrong with your 2nd gear, too.

Example.

Grind (espcially in the moring)
Knoch going 1st to 2nd
Something is blocking the way

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 12:18 AM
travis9_350z

Im in, Hardcore grind when shifting from 1st to 2nd, my z is in the shop as we speak because of it, I am hoping to get a new tranny, its ********, grinding at 10k miles.......what a joke
Old 10-09-2003, 04:41 AM
My_Tampa_Z

Just started happening to me. I wouldn't say grinding necessarily but I have a hard time getting the shifter into 2n'd about 1 out of 10 times....seems to be getting worse. It's at the dealer now who will probably do nothing. Have 5k miles...owned since Nov. 2002.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:08 AM
Blue Liquid

ssk0771, my symptoms are exactly as you have reported. Worse in the morning, as you say. If I shift very slowly, it kind of chunks into gear. I feel like the synchro's are not even working sometimes. My car is an 04, built in June 2003, with 2300 miles. The second gear issue has been present since I drove it off the lot with 7 miles on it.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:50 AM
jleighZ

I have the 2nd gear problem too, although mine doesn't really make any noises. It's hard to get into gear and their is some hesitation after getting into gear.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:17 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

I have a "clunky" second gear, especially in the morning. No problem getting into second, although a smooth shift is difficult first thing in the morning. At worst, it just sounds bad, the clunk... like a 'clink, clink, clunk' noise but nothing really resembling grinding.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:23 AM
LaoSiFu

Same here everyone
Old 10-09-2003, 11:17 AM
s9am_me

same symptoms... although some people who switched their tranny oil to Redline is reporting positive results... not a fix.. but something to look into
Old 10-09-2003, 04:02 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARGH... I CURSE THIS TRANNY!!!

I used to have lots of 2nd gear problems. I couldn't engage that gear quick because it would jerk the car. Every other gear was fine.

Around 3.5k miles I took it out to the track. That's when I found out I was repeatedly locked out of 2nd gear after launching hard in 1st gear. I made sure my clutch was down and then simply push down to 2nd. I couldn't. Eventually I managed to get into 2nd, but the revs were really low by then and the car was slowing down very much.

Now the problem has manifested itself into 3rd gear at 7k miles. If I punch it in 2nd gear and then quickly shift into 3rd, I'd get locked out.

Next time, I'm going to force it into gear despite the consequences. I'm so mad and embarassed today after losing out to an old Mustang 5.0. We were pacing each other.... then he was far ahead while I was trying to get into gear. That Mustang wasn't all that fast either.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:15 PM
287HP

My 2nd gear has always been clunky! Every other gear seems to be fine, however, the car only has 1600 miles, so we will see! Car was built in april 03.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:41 PM
ssk0771

I took my to car the dealer today because of my 2nd gear.

They told me that there is nothing wrong with my 2nd gear. On the note, they wrote that they had 3 techs test drive the car and everything seemed to be normal and there was on sign on abnormal shifting.

Then also said that you can't expect every gear to shift same.

THIS IS REALLY IRRITATING ME.

They also said that this is normal on the Z's because Z's have heavy duty transmission.

I think this is BS.

Does anyone else have any other Ideas of how to get this resolved. I LOVE my Z but really bothering me.

Last edited by ssk0771; 10-09-2003 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:52 PM
DIGItonium

That's dumb. The other cars I've driven don't annoy me much when sliding lever into each gear despite the longer throw (s2k not included).

7k already and it's still annoying me.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:20 PM
mytalon

I talked to a Z owner w 14000 miles and this same problem, his dealer is replacing the tranny for him. He said that they were replacing it with an upgraded tranny. per nissan, he also mentioned that they said it was happening in all track models. (I don't know why just track I believe all the tranny's are the same right?).

My second gear is starting to get worse. So I am going to go to the dealership he went to hopefully I can get a new "upgraded" tranny myself.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:47 PM
ssk0771

Keep it comming.

When I first talk to Nissan Consumer Affair, the completely DENIED that they were having problems with the Z Trannys.

Second time when I talk to them they said that they were aware of the Tranny issue on 3rd gear but my 2nd gear issue is an isolated issue that they never heard of any problems with the 2nd gear.

Once I get enough reply, I am going to print this out and send it to Nissan Consumer Affair.

So KEEP IT COMMING
Old 10-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Yielar

I'm having the same 2nd gear issues first thing in the morning. It only seems to grind for the first shift into 2nd then everything seems fine. I mentioned something to my dealer last time I took it in and of course they couldn't make it grind. They told me that they wouldn't give me a new tranny if it got worse but would rebuild the one I have. Geesh I wonder how long that would take them !

Yielar
Old 10-10-2003, 05:52 AM
bobbyz

Yup. When tyhe tranny is cold, it will not shift into second. I get a huge grind. I find myself shifting from 1st to 3rd on cold days.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:27 AM
dimitri

fellas i have s.s. track 2004 was built in july 2003.....i have the same problem not a grind just that feel you can feel everything that is goin on with the tranny in other words(like a mechnical feel no rubbery feel). But want i wanted to say is yesterday i did a search hear on this forum on gear related isuues and found alot of info that guys are saying that this is normal that is how the z is built and also they said because of the power of the z u can feel everything in the tranny that is ...i hope this helps out fellas i will try to find that strand of info and post it ...cya
Old 10-10-2003, 09:29 AM
DIGItonium

Isn't this a sports car? It's supposed to handle hard driving right? It seems the tranny makes it difficult to perform well. I admit my experience driving a manual is not very extensive, but I know grinding is something I hardly do.

I do admit that the frustration makes me feel like my shifting is sloppy, but it wouldn't be as bad if engaging each gear was smooth as butter.

When driving normal, shifting is fast and smooth. It's different when driving hard though... :-/

Today, I tried this again and I literally forced it in 3rd without any problems.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:05 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by dimitri
fellas i have s.s. track 2004 was built in july 2003.....i have the same problem not a grind just that feel you can feel everything that is goin on with the tranny in other words(like a mechnical feel no rubbery feel). But want i wanted to say is yesterday i did a search hear on this forum on gear related isuues and found alot of info that guys are saying that this is normal that is how the z is built and also they said because of the power of the z u can feel everything in the tranny that is ...i hope this helps out fellas i will try to find that strand of info and post it ...cya
My question is why 2nd gear. All the other gears seem to be fine. I think there is definitely something wrong with the 2nd gear and Nissan has not figuered how to fix it yet so they are just saying that. I have someone looking into this. we'll see.

Quick Reply: Post Here If You Are Having Problems With Your 2nd Gear.