Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Z wont start intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:57 PM
soshiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z wont start intermittently

Tried to start my Z yesterday and it would turn over but would not start. Waited a second and tried again, still no dice would constantly crank but would not start. Waited like 2 minutes then it cranked up right away like nothing was wrong. The rest of the day it gave me no other problems starting numerous times. This morning I get in it and bam cranks and cranks but wont start. I wait a minute and bam starts up with no problem and hasnt done it again at all today. Any ideas what could be the problem? Wanted to add though that just before it started acting up I was extremely low on fuel, so low that I drove with the light on for about 25 -30 miles. After I filled it with gas is when it started acting up. Could this have something to do with it?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:26 AM
soshiv

bump
Old 09-25-2009, 10:53 AM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be your fuel pump. When the fuel pump tries to pump gas but it gets nothing, it could burn the o-rings or overheat as there's nothing to cool the pump. Look into that
Old 09-25-2009, 01:17 PM
soshiv

I was going to start with the fuel filter, where is that located?

So far today it hasnt given me any problems..
Old 09-27-2009, 11:29 AM
zapatito82

This also happens to me but when i dont drive my car for about a week since i work alot It first started doing this to me around 17 k on the clock i left it at the dealer for 3 days and they said it started up avery time with no problems Like i said it does this occasianally It hasnt done this in a long time But if you happen to find the culprit blogg it so i can know the problem and address it too Thanks and good luck
Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 PM
dynamic21

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soshiv
I was going to start with the fuel filter, where is that located?

So far today it hasnt given me any problems..
350z has no fuel filter, rather a cheap screen mesh from what I'm told.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 PM
dynamic21

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vthao
It could be your fuel pump. When the fuel pump tries to pump gas but it gets nothing, it could burn the o-rings or overheat as there's nothing to cool the pump. Look into that
This sounds like a promising solution. I've been having this problem for the last two weeks now, and the only thing that I have in common with the OP is that I drove it with the low-fuel light on for a while.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:06 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you throwing any service light codes?

Have you checked your spark plugs recently?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:26 PM
gregom

There's some other active threads on this problem here you should check out too...
Old 10-14-2009, 06:21 PM
soshiv

No service codes at all.. just did it again today.. once..

where is the other thread located on this problem?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a search on "crank position sensor". This is presuming your Z is one of the older 2002-2003/4.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar issue in my '04, turned out to be my throttle body.

Haven't had any issues since it was replaced.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM
platinum350

I have an '03 and have this problem for about 4 years. Its's so intermittent I have never done anything about it. My car has always been regulary maintained and changed plugs and this still happened one time after. I haven't researched this issue yet but I think Bronzee is on to it with the "crank position sensor".
Here is what I do to get my car started quickly when it's having one of these fits:

-Turn ur key to ign,right before the motor starts turning.
-listen to hear the fuel pump turn on
-Start
-If you don't hear the fuel pump, don't try to start turn the key all the way off and listen to hear the two clicks that happen after you turn your key back off.
Then try again till you hear the fuel pump kick on.

I know sounds crazy but it's second nature to me now and never have an issue. Before I figured out this "technique" lol I've been stuck for over an hour!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 AM
vdemon311

hey guys I had this problem till about 68,00 miles of my car. Sometimes the car.. sometimes it wouldnt. Sometimes it would take 5-10 turns to get it to go. I read somewhere on a nico forum that a guy got new keys,reprogrammed them and the problem stopped. I just reprogrammed my original keys and havent had the problem since. 101,000 miles now and no intermittent start. I actually posted an earlier thread about this too. Nissan stealership reprogram costs 69$ in freehold new jersey. Aparently the reason is short circuiting of the ecu. If you have different electronics in your car:subs, system, screens,ps2, and other retarded junk you do not want to leave your keys in the ignition all the time. This could cause the chip to short circuit in the key. Some of you might notice a bright red led light on the top left on your dash. If you have the intermittent problem, when you start your car at time, the bright light will glow solid red and you will be driving with a solid red light gleaming into your windshield. (This was the case with me) this basically means your key is not being recongnized correctly. Reprogram the key and 40,000 miles later car starts up like a dream everytime, ALL the time
Old 11-25-2009, 06:15 PM
gyotar

Check your Cam Shaft Position Sensors as well.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:44 AM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soshiv
Tried to start my Z yesterday and it would turn over but would not start. Waited a second and tried again, still no dice would constantly crank but would not start. Waited like 2 minutes then it cranked up right away like nothing was wrong. The rest of the day it gave me no other problems starting numerous times. This morning I get in it and bam cranks and cranks but wont start. I wait a minute and bam starts up with no problem and hasnt done it again at all today. Any ideas what could be the problem? Wanted to add though that just before it started acting up I was extremely low on fuel, so low that I drove with the light on for about 25 -30 miles. After I filled it with gas is when it started acting up. Could this have something to do with it?
check your battery.. i drained my battery once and replaced it with some junkyard wrecked Z battery.. it gave me the some problem...check to see if your battery needed to be replace

hope it help
Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
HiHo_Silver350

i've been having this problem recently too. Both times it happened after driving for a bit and stopping somewhere. After about 3 tries or maybe waiting a minute it'll start. Last time I went to get an oil change, the dealer told me i needed a fuel injection and that the throttle body needed cleaning. So i'm gonna see if that solves it.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
yellowandfast

I have this same problem. I think I have figured it out, since replacing the fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor myself, it did not solve the problem. No codes are showing. Try using the two other spare keys, if it temporarily fixes the problem, then I am pretty sure the keys need to be reprogrammed or it is the body control module(BCM).

Richard

RichChiM3@aol.com
Old 12-05-2009, 08:52 AM
haggomyeggo

sometimes mine does this. but from what ive read and asked around at the dealership
it seems to be the keys not getting the correct codes to the car allowing it to actually fire the engine up
i just turn the car off remove key let clutch out and try again and it fires up easy
Old 12-05-2009, 09:10 PM
SniperHunter

It's a key problem, usually. It even used to happen in our 2005 FX35. Happens to a lot of Gs and Ms, too.

Quick Reply: Z wont start intermittently