Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car shuts off, all electrics dead while putting air in tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shut off, all electrics dead while putting air in tires

I noticed my front right tire was quite low on air on my way home from work tonight so I drove to the nearest fuel station. I left the car running and put air in 3 tires no problems at all. I get back in my car and right when I sit down the car shuts off. Think I may have heard a beep but can't remember (tons of noise at the fuel station). I try to restart, but nothing... no lights. I take the keys out and send the lock and unlock command with the key FOB, nothing...

I pop the hood and check the fuses on the battery, all looks well so I then take the negative battery terminal off since it looked a slight bit loose. I put it back on after a few seconds, get in the car, and it starts up fine.

So.... what happened? I've owned the car for about 1.7 years now and have just over 70,000 miles on it. I replaced the battery a bit over a year ago because it was starting to crank slow on startup and seemed almost dead.

The voltmeter reads about 12.2 V without the engine running and about 14 V when running. I did replace the belts over a year ago and get a little squeak from them for a second or two on cold mornings. I've checked the tension and it feels nice and tight.

Is it possible the car shut off due to some electrostatic discharge? Things were crazy at the fuel station and it was loud outside... but it almost seems like I saw the dials go all crazy when I got back in the car, heard a beep, then it shut off. Dunno maybe i'm just tweaked a bit, lol.

Anyone have any thoughts here?

Last edited by gregom; 10-05-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I didn't have any problems today... although I stopped at a place on the way home from work and when I came out and started the engine, the RPM's dropped a bit right after start down to like 500 or less and felt like it was about to stall but then it was fine.

I'm wondering if the alternator/generator is having issues. Maybe I have the belt too tight and it's stressing it.

Anyone have thoughts here?