Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bad Tensioner/Pulley Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 02:14 PM
To The Moon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Tensioner/Pulley Noise

I wanted to share this problem here because I have been trying to find the cause of this noise for a long time. The noise sounds like a crackling/dinging sound within the engine bay. I suspected it being a loose bolt causing this noise since it started happening after installing new intakes. However, I checked every bolt that we installed/loosen and they were all tight. None of the installed parts from the intakes were in contact with anything with the car (such as brackets). After I could not find the source of this noise I took my car to a close family friend mechanic to help me find the issue. We suspect it being a bad belt tensioner making this noise after inspecting it. We also checked the other pulleys and they were fine. It seems that the belt tensioner could be the one producing this sound.

Somethings to note is that when RPMs increase, the noise goes away. I posted a video on YouTube to further show this with the crackling sound.

Before I go and buy a new belt tensioner, I wanted to see if anyone else agrees that the belt tensioner is the cause or thinks it could be something else.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:28 AM
ClintOwens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have enough info regarding this. But I will ask my friend who is a car mechanic.

Last edited by ClintOwens; 05-18-2022 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:49 AM
Ponyryd

Received 244 Likes on 208 Posts

Without seeing it it’s very hard to tell, did your mechanic friend not do a proper diagnosis? It’s pretty easy to do with the right tools, or if you’re handy enough just remove the belt and run the car to see if the noise is gone, if it is, sling each pulley by hand and the noise should show itself. There is a tensioner and an idler there that could cause the noise-as well it may be the a/c compressor pulley or clutch…does it go away with the a/c on?