Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 02:17 AM
Bew11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clicking sound

Everyone,
I'm not very good with cars, so this will probably be a stupid question but i would appreciate any help that can be given. I'm hearing a clicking noise from the front and rear. When the steering wheel is left of center the front stops but the rear sound is still there. When the steering wheel is straight or right of center the front and rear clicking is there. This sound exists at 1mph-30mph, I haven't had the car over that since I just noticed it this morning. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Eric1h

is it a metal tick tick tick noise, when you start from a stop or slow roll?

i had that issue and it was a loose rear axle nut(the pulled the rear axle, greased and replaced, and its fixed), a bunch of guys on here have had the same problem.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:58 PM
CottonWoodz

Originally posted by Eric1h

i had that issue and it was a loose rear axle nut(the pulled the rear axle, greased and replaced, and its fixed), a bunch of guys on here have had the same problem.
Same here. But when I took it in to get it looked at, it wouldnt make the damn noise. Then when I got it back from service, 30 mins of driveing it started to click
Old 11-13-2003, 04:42 AM
Eric1h

Mine was fixed and hasnt come back in months! So far so good!
Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How loud is this "click"? I hear something from the rear suspension when first rolling forward or back, but it's a subtle as the sound of loading a magazine into a pistol. Is it that quiet?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Eric1h

Originally posted by droideka
How loud is this "click"? I hear something from the rear suspension when first rolling forward or back, but it's a subtle as the sound of loading a magazine into a pistol. Is it that quiet?

yup, thats the sound, it will get louder over time and REALLy become annoying, get it fixed sooner than later. its not really a hazard just annoying.

It ranges anywhere from a "ping ping ping" to a click click click" noise

and usually takes place when at a dead stop and driving forwards or a backwards, and only under load
Old 11-13-2003, 11:12 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, thats the sound, it will get louder over time and REALLy become annoying, get it fixed sooner than later. its not really a hazard just annoying.

It ranges anywhere from a "ping ping ping" to a click click click" noise

and usually takes place when at a dead stop and driving forwards or a backwards, and only under load
Thanks, man. Is there a TSB on this, or do I have to convince my service department that I do have an issue?
Old 11-13-2003, 04:27 PM
kgb

I have the same ticking/clicking noise coming from the right side of the rear end. I haven't been to the dealer yet, but I guess I'm gonna have to take the Z in.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Eric1h

no TSB yet, but tell them to call their techline, they are aware of the problem.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:30 AM
350Z32

Any new update about this issue? I am experiencing the same problem with my 2003 350Z (Performance model). Called 3 dealers and noboy ever heard this kind of problem before. The Nissan engineer told the dealer to relube my car after leaving it overnight for 2 consecutive nights due to a delay from engineer's response. Hopefully I can get it back today.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 PM
y_b_lamron

I went through this same thing with my dealer and they originally tried to tell me it was my aftermarket rims when I knew it wasn't. Finally they took a look and fixed it (after 3 visits)

They told me they tightened the subframe and when I got my car back the noise was gone. However, it's been a few months and now the clicking is back.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:54 AM
350Z32

Originally posted by y_b_lamron
I went through this same thing with my dealer and they originally tried to tell me it was my aftermarket rims when I knew it wasn't. Finally they took a look and fixed it (after 3 visits)

They told me they tightened the subframe and when I got my car back the noise was gone. However, it's been a few months and now the clicking is back.

My dealer told me they relube the suspension system, tighten it. The reason was due to moisture leak. It has been ok so far after 2 days. well ... really hope it won't happen again. But who knows? If moisture leak happen to a new car and they didn't fix anything, the chance is it will happen again !!!
Old 05-08-2004, 08:43 PM
BROKE

Had my Z in for the 15,000 service and complained about this subtle creaking noise from my left rear wheel. Was driving me crazy. Dealer retorqued all rear suspension components and this did not resolve the problem. Returned the Z after reading these posts and asked them to retorque both rear axles. noise gone...problem solved...I hope!
Old 06-09-2004, 10:11 AM
350Z32

Talking Dealer replaced STUB AXLE

After my 2nd complaints, the technician at the dealer found it on the service bulletin that they have to replace the STUB AXLE. They took about half day to replace it and now the car is free from the annoying clicking noise used to happen when acelerating from a stop (both foward and reverse). Hope it will stay quiet for a while this time. It is really great driving my 350Z free from the annoying clicking noise again !!
Old 06-09-2004, 06:43 PM
silverstoneTT

i got the sheet from nissanhelp.com and will bring it in with the car sooner or later because that clicking seems to be getting louder....errgghh i hate little things like these. they drive me nuts
Old 06-11-2004, 07:16 PM
raidersfan

it is a bomb ticking and your going to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2004, 07:19 PM
BROKE

errgghh i hate little things like these. they drive me nuts

Me to!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 09:47 PM
HaNkYs_Z

can i still get that fix if I change my suspension to aftermarket one and 19's wheels?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:59 AM
slackjaw

Default Re: Dealer replaced STUB AXLE

I have the same issue w/ my '03 track. Took it in a week ago to have the alignment done and to re-lube the rear axle slpines. The dealer did the alignment and re-lube but the problem is still there. When I picked up the car I noticed tat the mileage was the same as when I dropped it off (meaning that they didn't bother to test drive it to see if they actually fixed it). I rescheduled and brought the car back yesterday w/ TSB about the clicking noise in hand. They kept the car for appx 6 hours and called me to say that there was no problem. I asked if they heard the clicking sound and they said yes but that's normal. Service mgr. told me that he had the "master tech" drive the car and he said that the sound is totally normal for the Z. he said that the TSB refers to a much louder sound and that there was nothing that they could do at this time. I have plenty of warranty left but should I just sit back and wait for the axle to break? what the hell? Any advice would be appriciated.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:51 PM
350Z32

Default Re: Re: Dealer replaced STUB AXLE

I would go to another deal for this issue if I were you.
My dealer let me "test drive" the car with a service technician to show him the problem. He acknowledged it very quickly, I only drove it very briefly in the dealer parking lot.
However, it did take him a while to figure out how to fix it.
Actually, they didn't replace the stub axle until my second visit.

So go find a different dealer near you (hopefully a bigger dealer too), then ask if a service technician would test drive the car with you to show him the problem.
Also make sure your complaint is well documented and keep the copy !!
You should receive a customer satisfaction survey from Nissan soon and you can put your concern on the survey so hopefully they will deal with the dealer.

Good luck !!

350Z32

Originally posted by slackjaw
I have the same issue w/ my '03 track. Took it in a week ago to have the alignment done and to re-lube the rear axle slpines. The dealer did the alignment and re-lube but the problem is still there. When I picked up the car I noticed tat the mileage was the same as when I dropped it off (meaning that they didn't bother to test drive it to see if they actually fixed it). I rescheduled and brought the car back yesterday w/ TSB about the clicking noise in hand. They kept the car for appx 6 hours and called me to say that there was no problem. I asked if they heard the clicking sound and they said yes but that's normal. Service mgr. told me that he had the "master tech" drive the car and he said that the sound is totally normal for the Z. he said that the TSB refers to a much louder sound and that there was nothing that they could do at this time. I have plenty of warranty left but should I just sit back and wait for the axle to break? what the hell? Any advice would be appriciated.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound