Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Replaced 6MT's are they the same ones or a redesign???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 01:59 PM
D_Nyholm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced 6MT's are they the same ones or a redesign???

I am going otneed to get my transmission replaced because of the infamous 3rd gear grind. I have been waiting to bring it to the dealership because i don't want to be stuck in the same boat in another 15K miles. Does anyone know FOR SURE that there is a redesign of the tranny? I have heard that they are on their fourth redesign, but it obviously hasn't done much. Could someone chime in here with cold hard facts aobut this? It would be greatly appreciated!!!

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the coupe forum or not, but I figured the 'drivetrain' forum would be a better idea even though it is under 'modifications'. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:21 PM
FLY BY Z

They are the same. They were replacing trannys because the clevis pin (attached to the slave cylinder - not the tranny) was the wrong length and people were wearing out there synchros because of that. There is a new clevis pin out and they are not replacing trannys like they used to. It has to be an extreme and obvious case. If you grind and your VIN indicates you already have the rereleased clevis pin, you are SOL and just need to either learn to work the stick or accept that our transmission is inherently notchy. Because it is. When was your car built? If it is an 04 then don't even try it.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:31 PM
D_Nyholm

I have one of the first G35 coupes that came out. I got the car November 2003 when they first came out, it was part of the first order. My car grinds every time I put it into 3rd if I go any faster than a snails pace or downshift to third. It will also grind going from 5th to 6th if you go anything faster than normal speed. I can leave the clutch down and just shift it between 5th and 6th (while rolling) and it will grind every time. Third gear is even worse, but the original problem was with 5th to 6th.