Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

what the fork... my Z overheated ._.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Mitsuomi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the fork... my Z overheated ._.

My Z overheated today -_- i was idle for about 10 minutes and smoke started coming from under the hood. It was random, never did it before and i'm not sure what could be causing the issue. The car only overheats when its idle, if the car is running the temperature stays normal.

I checked the Fans and they seemed to be working fine, now the only thing i can think of is... I had my car getting a paint job. I noticed that they didn't remove the front bumper to paint it, so the radiator is full of paint. Could that cause the car to overheat? If thats not it then i really don't know. I'll have to take the car to the dealership or some random mechanic tomorrow morning ._.

I will take pix of radiator tomorrow morning. At least they did a good job matching the radiator with the bumper though '_'
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 PM
SageZ

fork it
Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 PM
xthejokerx

Originally Posted by SageZ
fork it
+1...
try forking it op...
Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Mitsuomi

Great idea. Why didn't i think of that? I will fork it tomorrow morning. Besides that, anyone have anything "helpful" they want to share? I am no expert so any advise would be greatly appreciated. If i knew exactly what the problem was i would't even be posting here.

My other concern is if the problem is in fact paint on the radiator, and the shop that painted the bumper refuses to take responsibility, is there any legal action i can take? I just want to be well informed so i know what to do/say when i take the car to the shop tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
c0ld29

Are you f'n serious? Who the hell painted your car and didn't at least mask off the radiator? YES the paint will completely ruin the efficiency of your radiator. Thats why you shouldn't take spray paint and write out "JDM LOLZ!!" on your radiator.

Unless you use a thin (oil based I think) radiator paint, but since it is car enamel paint the heat transfer will suffer greatly.

Of course they are liable to replace your radiator, as long as you have proof they painted your car. Even in civil court it would be an open-shut case, no need for a lawyer.

Last edited by c0ld29; 08-16-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Mitsuomi

Originally Posted by c0ld29
Are you f'n serious? Who the hell painted your car and didn't at least mask off the radiator? YES the paint will completely ruin the efficiency of your radiator. Thats why you shouldn't take spray paint and write out "JDM LOLZ!!" on your radiator.

Unless you use a thin (oil based I think) radiator paint, but since it is car enamel paint the heat transfer will suffer greatly.

Of course they are liable to replace your radiator, as long as you have proof they painted your car. Even in civil court it would be an open-shut case, no need for a lawyer.
I am not sure why they didn't mask it off... i didn't even notice the radiator was full of paint until today. I was checking the fans and the coolant fluid with my dad to see why the car was overheating and everything looked fine, until we noticed the radiator was full of silverstone paint. Shiny radiator ftw... I am not 100% sure this is whats causing the issue, but given that the car ran fine before, and that it only overheats when its idle, and that it started overheating AFTER the paint job, i thought that the paint could be the issue. I will take the car to the shop tomorrow, hopefully they either clean it (if possible?) or just replace it.

The worst part is that they took 3 weeks to paint it lol so i was carless for 3 weeks, and now this >_>
I hope they dont take 1-2 weeks to replace/clean the radiator :|

Last edited by Mitsuomi; 08-16-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 PM
billsrcursed

Seriously, just take the receipt for paint job back to the business, ask for a Manager, explain the situation, and allow for them to fix it.

You're jumping the gun at this point.

After they tell you to "fork off", then I'd speak w/ a lawyer....

EDIT - You're faster than me, lol!! See you already plan on doing this. It's the right first step.

Last edited by billsrcursed; 08-16-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fork that ****.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radiator is F'D...would threaten with action from concilliation court (small Claims), limit for action is up to $7995 in MN, check your state, plus damages and repair and loss of car time total, may have a sweet little claim going...however, also turn them into the BBB (Better business bureau) That kills a company rep and requires investigation...they should handle your claims just fine then...best of luck
Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM
c0ld29

edit : nvm
Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 PM
billsrcursed

Originally Posted by Stock2Autocrozz
Radiator is F'D...would threaten with action from concilliation court (small Claims), limit for action is up to $7995 in MN, check your state, plus damages and repair and loss of car time total, may have a sweet little claim going...however, also turn them into the BBB (Better business bureau) That kills a company rep and requires investigation...they should handle your claims just fine then...best of luck
That's ridiculous. He hasn't even talked to the shop about it yet.

People like you crack me up. Businesses make mistakes, too. Most of the time, if you approach them with some friggin class and dignity, they're more than willing to fix the mistakes.

Walking in there like you own the b!tch threatening everyone's jobs gets you nowhere fast, and probably knocked the "fork" out if we're all lucky enough.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what the forkkkkk! those guys owe you a new radiator
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Mitsuomi

I see everybody is loving the "fork" huh?
Yes i haven't taken the car to the shop yet, and I am not the type of person that is looking for every single chance to sue people/companies. Looking at it from the owner's perspective, it isn't his fault, he runs the business but in the end it is the employee who made the mistake. As long as they take responsibility for their mistake and fix it, that's good enough for me.

I will post pictures tomorrow of the radiator and i'll let you know what the shop says!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 PM
c0ld29

I say you get a fork decal for your car now, its only fair for the rest of the forum
Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Mitsuomi

https://www6.hsmv.state.fl.us/mvchec...check/main.jsp

I've been thinking about getting a custom license plate. "Fork it" is not available but "Fork You" is! (This is in FL btw)
Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't the paint be on the AC condenser coil, since it's in front of the radiator?

That's probably more expensive to replace, even though the cost of the part is less.

I'm thinking the "fork it" comment was about using a fork to remove the paint from between the fins. A radiator fin comb and some paint solvent would probably do that, but it ain't gonna be easy.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:58 PM
xthejokerx

^^^^^

Someone's thinkin' outside the box
Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billsrcursed
That's ridiculous. He hasn't even talked to the shop about it yet.

People like you crack me up. Businesses make mistakes, too. Most of the time, if you approach them with some friggin class and dignity, they're more than willing to fix the mistakes.

Walking in there like you own the b!tch threatening everyone's jobs gets you nowhere fast, and probably knocked the "fork" out if we're all lucky enough.
merely provided proper outlets for course of action
Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
neight

do you have photos of zeese?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
Wouldn't the paint be on the AC condenser coil, since it's in front of the radiator?

That's probably more expensive to replace, even though the cost of the part is less.

I'm thinking the "fork it" comment was about using a fork to remove the paint from between the fins. A radiator fin comb and some paint solvent would probably do that, but it ain't gonna be easy.

Dammit, i was hoping i was going to be the first person with a clue in this thread.

Quick Reply: what the fork... my Z overheated ._.