Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Traded my Black Track - F*** Nissan.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Phat Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took delivery of my Z on Sept 2, 2002 and I did love my car. However, of all the problems I have had, tire feathering is one that is unacceptable with any car. With 19,632 miles that car has been at the dealership about 9 times. You get fed up after awhile.

The way Nissan has handled the tire feathering issue has shown me that they are a car manufacturer that I will not be dealing with in the future.

This is my last Nissan!

Shopping for an M3.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:40 AM
350z03

Originally posted by Phat Z
I took delivery of my Z on Sept 2, 2002 and I did love my car. However, of all the problems I have had, tire feathering is one that is unacceptable with any car. With 19,632 miles that car has been at the dealership about 9 times. You get fed up after awhile.

The way Nissan has handled the tire feathering issue has shown me that they are a car manufacturer that I will not be dealing with in the future.

This is my last Nissan!

Shopping for an M3.
I second you. For all who complain about the post, you have no idea what we are talking about. I have probably had all the problems posted on this board except for engine light and AC. Like I've said. I posted b/c I want others who may be considering the Z to understand the magnitude of the problems. Whether if they buy or not, that is their decision. I am just here to help. I would like them to understand that there are people out there who would waste the 10k just to get rid of the problem.

I was at CarMax the other day and just happened to notice a DB Ethusiast with a little over 5k miles. My first guess was feathering for the reason it was there. I walked close and couldn't tell with my eyes until I felt it with my hands. Uneven tread wear. CarMax wiped the treads clean to deter the buyers from noticing the problem.

I mean, the fact I am able to guess the reason for any new car to be in a used lot is a problem itself.

BTW, my Z is now the third used Z in the dealership lot.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:49 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Bixby,

You obviously have had great experience with the Nissan marque and are definitely dedicated to it. The 350Z will at some point be a great car. But the early production ones were not up to snuff. And sadly, after the much hyped "Pre-Order" program, the service from NNA for those of us that did so has been lackluster. I understand the whole first year comments. The issue is Nissan has done very little in support of these early cars.

I have had all the TSBs and then some on my car. 3rd transmission, 3rd set of front tires, 20+ visits to the dealership, and over a year after the first reports of these issues and there still are no solutions. Nissan Techline is telling my dealership that they have no idea what the cause is and Nissan Japan is unable to reproduce the issue.

350z03 may not have stated in the best way what he was trying to say, but the information is pertinent and valid. People need to know that there are issues and how we are being treated by NNA. This really is the root of it for me as an owner. NNA has not taken any action to work with those of us that have reported the issues to try and figure out what the root causes are.

Jomaxum,

Just to re-iterate themyst’s points…

I had more mileage on my car in the first month than you have put on your car total. If you do a little research, you will find that the first posted tranny replacement last year in August was for Steve Kaufman (aka Raceboy, don’t let the name fool ya.) Steve may be a lot of things but a Fast and the Furious lover he is not. On top of that, I would put his shifting skills up against just about anybody. So, before you go spouting off what you deem to be gospel, please do some research so as to not present misinformation. I would also keep a very close eye on your tire wear; at the rate you are going you will surpass the 12month period before putting on enough miles to truly “experience” the tire issue.

350z03 and themyst,

I am sorry to hear that you took a loss to get out of your Z's, but I wish you the best in your quest for new vehicles.

Cheers,

D
Old 11-18-2003, 10:28 PM
themyst

Actually, the pain of losing the Z was alleviated in less than 5 minutes when I took delivery of my new g35 coupe 6mt Almost all of the power, with more luxury, rear seats, trunk and infiniti service. I couldn't stop driving that car. Wow.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:11 AM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Thanks for your take on the issue

articfury [Charter Member #55]

By now, all the ongoing analyst's speculation regarding Nissan's manufacturing rush to get 350Z to the salivating public, is becoming fairly evident in the early production models. It appears that the typical Japanese car build quality was indeed compromised all to the chagrin of the many dedicated, but unfortunate ‘first on line’ buyers. However, while I do believe that these negatively impacted owners should share their tales of grief with all other current Z owners and future potential buyers, one must obtain some facts (numbers) addressing the present 350Z ownership across the board.

What would be the total percent of the 350Z car sales to date, that are experiencing these said inherent maladies? I would assume that many of those negative numbers will be or are dropping off. Nissan would wind up eating many or most of them if the reported manufacturing trend continues. Yes, the problems are definitely real for these early buyers. Nissan would be remiss not to take a more serious approach to establish some type of remedy or at least a reasonable financial compromise.

Thanks for your intelligent insight into this matter. It is much appreciated.

Frank

btw: With all the problems that you have experienced with your vehicle………Do you still own your 350Z or are you ready to throw in the towel as well?

Old 11-19-2003, 07:39 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Frank,

I agree with your point that the newer cars seem to have resolved most of the issues, especially the easy ones. Even the tranny issues seem not to be occurring with the same frequency as the early-mid 03 models. This is where my issue comes with the way Nissan has handled these earlier cars. With the fairly wide spread nature (hard to really gauge true numbers, only Nissan knows) if a fix was found for the tranny then shouldn't Nissan take care of all the owners that may possible be affected, but their accountants obviously convinced them it was better to fix the ones that fail only.

Then there is the tire issue that doesn't seem to have been resolved with the new cars. I have a feeling we will be seeing more 04's reporting this issue as they get the miles up there.

I will tell you that Nissan has lost a lot of business just because of my car. My co-workers have followed my trials and tribulations very closely. After seeing what I have been through, they all will not be buying a Nissan any time soon. Some have even passed on the story to other friends when they mentioned the possibility that they might buy a 350Z. Needless to say after hearing about my issues, they went with another model.

As for your question about my car, I have submitted my request to BBB Autoline for arbitration. My request was for replacement of the vehicle. I am not sure what the outcome will be.

Derek
Old 11-19-2003, 11:52 AM
themyst

Arcticfury - The same here. Everybody at my office hates the 350Z now because of what I went through. I already prevented one girl from buying a Z because of my car. Thats 30 grand you lost out on, Nissan. Smart.

Oh and by the way, there are a few occurrences of 04's with tire feathering already.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Dissolved

350z03, sorry you had get rid of the Z but thats the way it goes. I understand definitely. This car isnt built too well LOL. I mean the engine and body are the **** but everything else sucks.