Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Z died while I was driving and now won't turn on.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010 | 03:10 PM
Edg_R

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
i see it's not even cranking. you might have an issue with the starter
That's what everybody's told me and what I'm leaning to. Do you think the car would die while being driven because of this?

Thanks for anyone who cares to reply, you're a big help.
Old 11-28-2010 | 03:22 PM
BoomerZ33

Originally Posted by midtx350z
That's what everybody's told me and what I'm leaning to. Do you think the car would die while being driven because of this?

Thanks for anyone who cares to reply, you're a big help.
yeah dude no prob. you completely checked battery terminals and fuses? the problem might not even electrical. check the fuel pressure it could be the fuel pump that gave out. and like i said it could be ignition system, get the starter and crank sensor checked out as well.
Old 11-28-2010 | 03:34 PM
BoomerZ33

last year i was in my friend's tuned SC nsx and his car died all of sudden on the highway and couldn't start it up same as your issue. we got it towed and diagnosed it and checked every possible problem. It turned out it was bad wiring to his ecu which shut down resulting in fuel starvation.
Old 11-28-2010 | 03:38 PM
Edg_R

yeah dude no prob. you completely checked battery terminals and fuses? the problem might not even electrical. check the fuel pressure it could be the fuel pump that gave out. and like i said it could be ignition system, get the starter and crank sensor checked out as well.
thanks

Yeah, even cleaned the terminals with a wire brush and baking soda/water just in case. Took out every single fuse in the car to be sure they weren't broken and checked the fuse links (i think that's what they're called?) which sit next to the fuses in the engine compartment, they're not melted.

Considering that the Check Engine Light isn't on, it probably wouldnt give out a code, right?

Here's a bit more of background info:

Like I said before, my Throttle Position Sensor was replaced by the dealership earlier this year. It didn't have the same symptoms but it would go into limp mode. I could then restart it, and drive a bit more til it did it again.

Apparently something with my gas pump was bad since I bought the car, it only displays half full even though it's topped off. This isn't a big deal because once the tank actually gets past half full, the needle inside does go down and show me when the car is needing fuel.
Earlier this week, I was trying to pump gas and the pump kept on acting like it was full though. I got like 2 gallons in and it kept on stopping. I had to hold it real loose for it to slowly fill up. This confused me but I thought it was the pump I was using.

Umm... that's all I can think of. :-/
Old 11-28-2010 | 03:42 PM
Edg_R

I also have an aftermarket alarm system that came preinstalled.
Old 11-28-2010 | 03:50 PM
Edg_R

Where is the starter located in my car? Have yall heard of "tapping" it to see if it's the culprit?
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...s_starter.html
Old 11-28-2010 | 05:31 PM
zaperroni

i see it's not even cranking. you might have an issue with the starter
Old 11-28-2010 | 05:33 PM
BoomerZ33

Where is the starter located in my car? Have yall heard of "tapping" it to see if it's the culprit?
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...s_starter.html
i've heard of that solution. not sure how reliable and effective it is. but the starter is located down below by the transmission

Old 11-28-2010 | 05:35 PM
Edg_R

i've heard of that solution. not sure how reliable and effective it is. but the starter is located down below by the transmission

Wow that looks comfortable. Lol.
I was watching this starter diagnostic and replacement tutorial and his is placed beside the battery. Lucky!
http://www.ehow.com/video_2328095_di...mand-wire.html
Old 11-28-2010 | 05:38 PM
Edg_R

It also looks nothing like the one he used, so I wouldnt know how to test the one on the Z.

This is his:
Old 11-28-2010 | 05:48 PM
BoomerZ33

It also looks nothing like the one he used, so I wouldnt know how to test the one on the Z.

This is his:
ahh i see. i'm not even sure testing is necessary. your best bet is to just get a new refurbished one. but let's hope it's not the culprit and you don't gotta go through the trouble of replacing it.
Old 11-28-2010 | 05:52 PM
omsin523

Happen to my friends g35. Bought the car drove it home, tryed to start it the same night later on. wouldn't start at all, check all fuses, battery was good. Problem was the key got unprogrammed some how. If you have a spare key try that and see. Or if not that if you have a check engine light get the code pulled and go from there. goodluck bro
Old 11-28-2010 | 06:04 PM
Edg_R

ahh i see. i'm not even sure testing is necessary. your best bet is to just get a new refurbished one. but let's hope it's not the culprit and you don't gotta go through the trouble of replacing it.
Yeah I hope not. Thanks.

Originally Posted by omsin523
Happen to my friends g35. Bought the car drove it home, tryed to start it the same night later on. wouldn't start at all, check all fuses, battery was good. Problem was the key got unprogrammed some how. If you have a spare key try that and see. Or if not that if you have a check engine light get the code pulled and go from there. goodluck bro
Mine died while I was driving it though, and then wouldnt start. I tried my spare key and didnt work either. and there is no check engine light on... so idk about the code :-/ THanks!
Old 11-28-2010 | 08:28 PM
skakemokid

did you check both fuse boxes? It might be time to go in there with a multimeter just make sure your fuel pump is getting juice. And about the key, it threw a code, so im assuming it would throw a code on yours as well if it were the case.
Old 11-28-2010 | 08:30 PM
Edg_R

Originally Posted by skakemokid
did you check both fuse boxes? It might be time to go in there with a multimeter just make sure your fuel pump is getting juice. And about the key, it threw a code, so im assuming it would throw a code on yours as well if it were the case.
Cool. I'll take my multimeter to different parts of the car tomorrow. Yes I checked both boxes.
And I'll check the code.
Old 11-29-2010 | 03:03 PM
Patrick250

Cool. I'll take my multimeter to different parts of the car tomorrow. Yes I checked both boxes.
And I'll check the code.
What is your battery voltage?
Old 11-29-2010 | 03:11 PM
Edg_R

Originally Posted by Patrick250
What is your battery voltage?
Was at 11.89. Obviously the car wasn't running. Once we tried to jump start it, the voltage jumped to about 14v (on the car's gauge)
Old 11-29-2010 | 03:13 PM
Patrick250

Originally Posted by skakemokid
It might be time to go in there with a multimeter just make sure your fuel pump is getting juice.
In my relatively quiet garage I can hear my fuel pump "pressurize" when I turn the key to the second "click" It runs for ~1 second then stops.
Old 11-29-2010 | 03:13 PM
Patrick250

Was at 11.89. Obviously the car wasn't running. Once we tried to jump start it, the voltage jumped to about 14v (on the car's gauge)
11.89 should do it.
Old 11-29-2010 | 03:33 PM
Edg_R

Originally Posted by Patrick250
In my relatively quiet garage I can hear my fuel pump "pressurize" when I turn the key to the second "click" It runs for ~1 second then stops.
Mine doesn't do anything at all.

Quick Reply: My Z died while I was driving and now won't turn on.