Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Got My First Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 AM
scrapser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, about 60% of the cost was labor. All 4 rotors were turned, all pads replaced, and each brake assembly had hardware replaced, too. I'm not sure exactly what hardware was replaced but was told the hardware used to hold the pads in place is not designed to last much longer than the average life of pads under normal wear conditions. Even so, when they called me to tell me the car was ready they told me they only had to replace hardware on three wheels. If anyone knows what this is about I would appreciate hearing about it.

BTW, the dealer I use is Herb Gordon Nissan. They have always treated me well and go the extra mile to do things to keep my business. Every other basic service is free (oil and filter change, fluid levels check, tires and brakes check, etc.). My car has been out of warranty for almost 2 years now. Once, I bought a replacement part for the inside driver side door handle off the Internet (the plastic part you grab with your hand) for half what they would have charged me and they installed it for me free while doing a scheduled basic service. When I got this brake job done, they gave me a loaner car for the day...also no charge. These are all little things but they make a difference. I feel like we have a good working relationship and I'm sure they treat the rest of their customers the same way.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:28 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hearing a "good dealer" story always makes me all warm and fuzzy, lol. About once every 3 years or so....
Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP come on over to the regional forums

https://my350z.com/forum/mid-atlantic-331/
Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow a positive dealership story!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Brett@AwesomeZ
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair, they are prolly charging $100/hr for labor and using Nissan parts. You certainly could have saved quite a bit of money getting parts yourself and going to a well recommended independent shop, but that's why dealers can charge that kind of labor rate because they are the "pros"...