Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

New Engine Replacement due to Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010 | 12:13 PM
WhiteRabbit Z

Default New Engine Replacement due to Oil Consumption

So I bought an 03 350z about 5 months ago from a Carmax dealership here in southern California. I fell in love with this car. About a month ago I changed the oil and realized it was down 2.5 quarts of oil. I changed the oil, and cointinued another 3k miles...same story again. I took it to the nearest Nissan dealership and was informed that this has happened before with 350's consuming oil due to blown piston rings, or an all around faulty engine. They had me bring it back after 100 miles after the last oil change for an oil consumption test, and determined that it was down just over 1 quart over 1000 miles. As I write this it is getting a compression test, which I can tell you right now, it does not feel like a 280 hp car. If all comes back as expected, a new engine will be shipped out (thank God for warranties). I wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this. If so...was it pretty simple, because I didnt expect it to be this easy. The dealership said they are about 90% sure there will be a new engine shipped out just because there is more of a process they have to go through...so I know if I get that far, Im gonna have this car for a real long time. Ill keep you all updated on what happens.
Old 12-17-2010 | 12:20 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

very common, read up on it...

search more please...

/thread.
-J