Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

maintenance questions / engine heat up time issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 PM
cnp112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance questions / engine heat up time issue

i bought a 2007 350z a couple months ago with 17,000 miles...a couple questions...

1. I want to take it in for a 15,000 mile check up...would it be better to take it to the dealership (quoted $395 for a 15,000 mile check up)...or should I take it into another shop...

2. Are there certain things I should really have checked out on a used Z (transmission fluid / engine coolant / etc)...

3. I live in the NW suburbs of chicago...my car seems to begin to heat up (the temperature needle starts to move) about 2 minutes after I start my car...this is after being in cold weather (20 degrees F) for about 9 hours...is this normal???

thanks guys...also if anyone knows a good alternative to the stealership around the area...it would be great to know...
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by cnp112
i bought a 2007 350z a couple months ago with 17,000 miles...a couple questions...

1. I want to take it in for a 15,000 mile check up...would it be better to take it to the dealership (quoted $395 for a 15,000 mile check up)...or should I take it into another shop...

2. Are there certain things I should really have checked out on a used Z (transmission fluid / engine coolant / etc)...

3. I live in the NW suburbs of chicago...my car seems to begin to heat up (the temperature needle starts to move) about 2 minutes after I start my car...this is after being in cold weather (20 degrees F) for about 9 hours...is this normal???

thanks guys...also if anyone knows a good alternative to the stealership around the area...it would be great to know...
a little late for the 15k mile check up is-ant it
Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Preventive maintence is outlined in your maintenance book. Decide which items are do-it-yourself, and which you want done at a shop.

There are several methods to warm a car in freezing weather. I prefer the "drive the car method." What you do NOT want to do is hit the gas hard BEFORE reaching operating temperature.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 AM
cnp112

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
a little late for the 15k mile check up is-ant it
now i am starting to see why some people are saying this site might be going downhill...

Originally Posted by davidv
Preventive maintence is outlined in your maintenance book. Decide which items are do-it-yourself, and which you want done at a shop.

There are several methods to warm a car in freezing weather. I prefer the "drive the car method." What you do NOT want to do is hit the gas hard BEFORE reaching operating temperature.
thanks...i went ahead and canceled my appointment...400 seems steep for inspections and an oil change / filter...

in regards to the engine warm up time...i was more concerned with why my car is warming up so quickly...it seems to fall below 1000 rpm in about a minute and the needle starts to move in under 2 min...in pretty cold weather...about 20 degrees or less...this seems strange...should i be concerned about the engine coolant or [fill in the blank as I am car engine retarted]...but im trying to learn...
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM
davidv

now i am starting to see why some people are saying this site might be going downhill...

thanks...i went ahead and canceled my appointment...400 seems steep for inspections and an oil change / filter...

in regards to the engine warm up time...i was more concerned with why my car is warming up so quickly...it seems to fall below 1000 rpm in about a minute and the needle starts to move in under 2 min...in pretty cold weather...about 20 degrees or less...this seems strange...should i be concerned about the engine coolant or [fill in the blank as I am car engine retarted]...but im trying to learn...
You will have to decide if the car is reaching operating temperature too fast or too slow. Generally there is no "too fast:" the thermostat should be closed.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 AM
cnp112

so i just checked the level on the radiator reservoir (i think thats what its called...the clear / white container towards the very front of the car)...and it is well below the min...i can actually barely see any fluid in there...

i just went and picked up Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant, 50/50...it says i can add it to any color / make / model...will this be okay...
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1105000P&aff=Y

i am also thinking about taking it into a shop to see if there might be a leak and maybe just get a coolant flush done...is this overkill???...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
SSNOS

2 mins for the needle to start moving is kind of fast based on my vehicle. I am in a similar climate here in MA and my temp needle will not move for at least 5 mins at idle and the tach will not drop below 1k for at least 5-10 mins. This is when temps are 40 and below.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When it's freezing here, I wait the usual 45 seconds before moving the car. By the time I drive about 1/2 mile at less than 30 mph (around the subdivision), the temp will be near normal. Another minute at 40mph gets it to its normal spot on the gauge.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

so i just checked the level on the radiator reservoir (i think thats what its called...the clear / white container towards the very front of the car)...and it is well below the min...i can actually barely see any fluid in there...

i just went and picked up Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant, 50/50...it says i can add it to any color / make / model...will this be okay...

i am also thinking about taking it into a shop to see if there might be a leak and maybe just get a coolant flush done...is this overkill???...
If the expansion tank is low, add fluid. Prestone should be fine, particularly if your fluid was green to begin with. Many will argue this and mention something about organic acids etc, but I think it's fair to chalk it up to personal opinion. My thought is that Prestone is making a bold claim that they can be bound by, legally, so I "risk it" & use their juice.
At that mileage, a flush seems excessive. Maybe get some litmus paper or similar to check the pH but IMO it's probably fine.
As for leaks, monitor the level for the next couple of weeks (b/t min & max depending on engine temp), look for puddles or stink from the coolant, and take note if there are a lot of dead cats & dogs around.
Finally, as long as it's not overheating, I think that a quicker warm up is good. If it's climbing in mere seconds, then your gauge is likely wrong.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
davidv

This is good. 90 percent of coolant sold today is good for aluminium block.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by winchman
When it's freezing here, I wait the usual 45 seconds before moving the car. By the time I drive about 1/2 mile at less than 30 mph (around the subdivision), the temp will be near normal. Another minute at 40mph gets it to its normal spot on the gauge.
This is also the method I recommend. Except I drive in second gear at idle (about 10 MPH) for about a mile.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
FATPUBUS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winchman
Same for mine.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 AM
cnp112

thanks guys...i have filled up the reservoir tank between the min and max...i will continue to monitor the warm up times / reservoir tank levels / etc...i have to take it into the shop to get an oil change so i will ask them to take a look for a leak as well...the little coolant that was in the tank before i filled it up was dark green if that matters...the mixture i poured in was a light green...

davidv...what should the ph level be of the coolant??
Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Google "engine coolant ph" without the "s. I read values from 9.5 to 10.2 in scanning a couple pages.