Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 PM
RodgePodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Question

I've done some searches but never really found the clear cut answer I've been looking for.

I've got the (!) light on on my dash and my PSI indicator displays --.

I understand I've got a tpms malfunction so here's my question:

Do I need to buy a new sensor and have it synced? Or can I have it reset at one of the various reputable tire shops in my area?

Thanks in advance for any help!

RP
Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You can try to get it reset but chances are pretty good you're gonna need a new one then have it synched up to the computer.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM
RodgePodge

Crap! That's what I thought I was going to have to do. Thank you for confirming for me. Is there a vendor here where I can buy a tpms sensor from?

Thank you for the reply!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 AM
c0ld29

Here is a link on how to sync it properly once you get a new one installed (or just to reset it). Save money from the dealer (and probably a tire shop if they have the tool, but call around they might do it for free or cheap while they install the sensor)
https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ring-tpms.html

Now as far as buying one, they have a shelf life so I don't suggest buying a used one, but there are many places that sell them. Autozone and places like that sell them, but the cheapest I've found is from rockauto. I'm not sure if any vendors on this site in particular sell them, sorry.

Last edited by c0ld29; 01-06-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
RodgePodge

Would you recommend just buying 4 brand new ones and replace/sync them all in one setting? Seems pretty logical if they have a shelf life and this one went out.

Thanks for the link!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM
c0ld29

Well its up to you on that really. I have one thats currently out and I think I'm just going to order that one for now, but thats because I still owe tuition and books for this upcoming semester. If you can part with the $200 for the sensors and the extra to have a shop replace them then it would save you some time down the road. If i recall correctly I believe the life of them (depending on how much you drive of course) is supposed to be around 5-6 years.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 PM
RodgePodge

I still owe fees and books(if I buy them) for intersession and the spring semester. I'll make some calls to some local shops to get some quotes and then determine whether or not I want to replace and sync all of the sensors.

Thanks for your advice!

RP
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM
RedlineAZ

Hey man I don't mean to thread jack, but mine is doing the same thing and this could help you save some time also. Mine would flash, and then stay lit, while reading (--) on one of the back tires. I went to discount tire and they reprogrammed em, and said all the sensors are working properly but for some reason one just needed reprogramming. Well that was yesterday, and today its back on doing the same thing! Does the sensor need replacing or is there another trick? The tire is not losing air.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
RodgePodge

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Hey man I don't mean to thread jack, but mine is doing the same thing and this could help you save some time also. Mine would flash, and then stay lit, while reading (--) on one of the back tires. I went to discount tire and they reprogrammed em, and said all the sensors are working properly but for some reason one just needed reprogramming. Well that was yesterday, and today its back on doing the same thing! Does the sensor need replacing or is there another trick? The tire is not losing air.
Hey, mine was doing that so I replaced the sensor and had it synced but it still displayed (--) on the right rear tire. I'm going back tomorrow to have them all resynced to see if that solves the problem. I'm pretty sure that the sensor needs to be replaced. As far as it temporarily working again... I don't know what to say about that. I'm still learning so my knowledge isn't that great. I'll let you know what happens after my appointment tomorrow. Good luck!!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:15 AM
RedlineAZ

Originally Posted by RodgePodge
Hey, mine was doing that so I replaced the sensor and had it synced but it still displayed (--) on the right rear tire. I'm going back tomorrow to have them all resynced to see if that solves the problem. I'm pretty sure that the sensor needs to be replaced. As far as it temporarily working again... I don't know what to say about that. I'm still learning so my knowledge isn't that great. I'll let you know what happens after my appointment tomorrow. Good luck!!
Thanks man! My right rear tire was the one displaying (--) and I had them all resynced and the next day the same tire was reading (--) again. If you replaced your sensor and its still reading like that, I wonder what else can cause it.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 AM
chowg

What ended up happening with this? I have the same problem! Thanks!

Originally Posted by RodgePodge
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 AM
RodgePodge

I first took it to a tire place because they said it'd be no trouble at all to fix. They ended up clearing ALL of my sensors and told me I'd have to have a dealership do it. So I went to the dealership and they replaced the malfunctioning sensor and reset the other sensors. Now everything is working the way it should. Total cost ended up being about $90. Kind of costly but it's fixed!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can anyone explain mine case?

I have stock 18's touring rims without tpms sensors. They have rubber stems. They light is not illuminated on my dash, however it does come on from time to time but shuts off if I shut down??

What would cause this?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rich2342
Can anyone explain mine case?

I have stock 18's touring rims without tpms sensors. They have rubber stems. They light is not illuminated on my dash, however it does come on from time to time but shuts off if I shut down??

What would cause this?
If you have no sensors, the indicator light comes on after a set number of miles have been driven in one drive time and when the car is turned off it doesn't come on again until you do that again.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my TPMS sensors is reading a "0" but I have full air in the tire. Does the sensor just need to be reset?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:36 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If it reads "--" then there's no signal and resetting might help. Reading 0 would suggest the sensor has failed but there's no way to know for sure unless you get it checked/tested. If you can get it reset for free, certainly try that first.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 PM
RedlineAZ

Discount tire (america's tire) by my house resets/reprograms TPMS sensors for free! They did it for me on my 350z, and on my corvette! And I didn't even purchase any tires from them