Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Pinging / Detonation, Best gas station?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Chomorro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pinging / Detonation, Best gas station?

Im starting to get a little pinging at part throttle on the freeway at lower rpms and its pissing me off. I always get Chevron 91 but i would like to hear what you guys consider the "best" gas station.

I just put in a injector cleaner and i hope it fixes it but i doubt it. I just hate to spend on another tune only for it to ping again when gas quality goes down randomly......

There is a 93 octane race gas station near my house, im going to check the price difference or this time get tuned in san diego instead of LA where they probably have better gas. Speedforce tune maybe?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Chomorro

Dam no one else has this problem with the crap 91 octane??? You can't hear this unless you drive around with the radio off so that might be why.....

Well what brand gas station do you guys go to?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:16 PM
klaze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually 76, chevron or mobil, but I prefer 76
Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Playboi12

i always fill up mobil 91.... i use mobil one oil and oil filter as well... thats what ive always used for my z... works fine for me

Last edited by Playboi12; 01-30-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:22 AM
zaperroni

Shell 93oct for me
Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM
skitso1080

76 gas station for me. what tune did you use? custom Osiris?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Chomorro

Well i used to only use shell. Then my mechanic said to use mobil so i switched to mobil. Then i got it tuned at churches and he said only use chevron. In all three cases i switched because i was experiencing detonation and pinging. On different cars, turbo honda, twin turbo Z, supercharged honda.

Tune is just a osiris tune from churches.

Im going to try switching gas station before i lay down the dough for another tune session. And zapper there is no 93 octane in san diego readily available LOL only 91. A station about 10 min from the house does have race gas, i might try there but thats the ONLY 93 octane station......
Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 PM
zaperroni

Originally Posted by Chomorro
And zapper there is no 93 octane in san diego readily available LOL only 91. A station about 10 min from the house does have race gas, i might try there but thats the ONLY 93 octane station......
New york
-- except for all this damn snow we've been having.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
IDrm350

I have this problem at low RPMs (~2K), going up a small hill to my apartment complex. The gas in SoCal blows. I never had this problem when I used Sunoco 93 in Philly. It is my understanding that Chevron is the best but that's because of their additive package, not octane rating. They use the same crappy base gasoline that everyone uses so I'm not sure you'll find a solution by switching stations.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Chomorro

Originally Posted by IDrm350
I have this problem at low RPMs (~2K), going up a small hill to my apartment complex. The gas in SoCal blows. I never had this problem when I used Sunoco 93 in Philly. It is my understanding that Chevron is the best but that's because of their additive package, not octane rating. They use the same crappy base gasoline that everyone uses so I'm not sure you'll find a solution by switching stations.
Yea same here. I just switched to shell and im going to see if that helps. The injector cleaner actually seems to have helped.

I want to try out the walmart two step fuel system cleaning to see if it will help. Anyone tried it?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM
cubic202

I’ve had the same issue with my 05; moderate throttle around 2500 say in 3rd. I always use premium; source usually Chevron or Shell. I had it on a dyno to get a base line and that indicated the engine was running lean. Since that time I’ve been babying the engine. My plans for the Z have changed and as opposed to going the spacer, tune route I’m going back to the stock air box, removing the JWT Pop. As this involves disconnecting the battery I hope this will eliminate the ping.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Chomorro

Originally Posted by cubic202
I’ve had the same issue with my 05; moderate throttle around 2500 say in 3rd. I always use premium; source usually Chevron or Shell. I had it on a dyno to get a base line and that indicated the engine was running lean. Since that time I’ve been babying the engine. My plans for the Z have changed and as opposed to going the spacer, tune route I’m going back to the stock air box, removing the JWT Pop. As this involves disconnecting the battery I hope this will eliminate the ping.
Well what pisses me off is i am tuned lol, but i guess its hard to tune for every type of dd condition. But i switched to shell and im getting a lot less pinging. It could be the gas, but i think it may be the injector cleaner.

I will probably end up getting it tuned again, hopefully they wont charge for a full tune because i just want the part throttle tuned.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 PM
IDrm350

Mine is tuned also and AFRs look perfect. It still pings though. The thing that scares me is that it sounds like it pings above 6K. I can hear what sounds like pinging at WOT and high RPMs when I drive past a wall or bridge abutment.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
porschett

Isn't your gas in Ca. a mixture with ethanol?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Chomorro

Originally Posted by IDrm350
Mine is tuned also and AFRs look perfect. It still pings though. The thing that scares me is that it sounds like it pings above 6K. I can hear what sounds like pinging at WOT and high RPMs when I drive past a wall or bridge abutment.
I get this occasionally as well. You think there is a metal tab or something near the engine causing pinging sounds at certain vibrations? All though it sounds exactly like pinging I have had in other cars so not sure.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Chomorro

Update: I went through 2 full tanks of Shell 91 after using the injector cleaner and all the pinging has gone away. Not sure if it was the gas or the cleaner but im a happy camper . Going to get a full fuel system cleaning done since it seems to have helped.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Slyguy_38

Ran some fuel injector cleaner through my Z as well. Lucas Oil brand. I also always use Chevron 91 octane. Can't get rid of the ping tho.

Ryan
Old 04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
boost'nvq35hr

I was going to start a thread about this then I found this. its very frustrating I moved to newport beach ca from portland oregon a few months ago and I never had this problem before now I am constantly on edge because I can hear the engine pinging like a **** when going up hill or wot i found if I put octane booster in with each tank it almost stops all pinging but I am told that it can be bad for the engine also. im happy to see that im not the only one with this problem and it seems most of the people who have the problem live in socal.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 AM
BIGPOPPAPUMP

I have a mild ping form 3100-3500rpms. Does it when it's warm. Still troubleshooting. Check ever vacuum line. make sure there isn't a leak. We have a TSB for the vacuum line right at the fuel dampener on the passenger side. This is a valve right before our fuel rail. Fuel injectors are solenoids. They convert electrical energy into mechanical & click, louder if not fed fuel properly & eventually fail. If they don't get enough fuel they can become noisy as well as not deliver enough fuel. Both causing the ping sound. A lean mixture causing poor combustion & a lean injector almost dry sumping. For some reason it seems to get injector #2 the worst. Look up the fuel dampener TSB. Also get a vacuum gauge & see what your vacuum is. Detonation should be taken seriously & I would avoid WOT until rectified. The reason you get the ping & then it foes away is because your PCM is correcting the issue. Study your EMS & vacuum schematics so it all makes sense in your head, then start looking around.