Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

car's eating through oil.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ratz1400
Would it be a bad idea to get an extended warranty and wait a few weeks to bring it in?
Will not work. An extended warranty will not cover current problems. No mechanic will believe that the motor suddenly began consuming oil in a week.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 AM
infamous350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah thats not good. WHen my car had that many miles it burned zero oil. It has 140k on it now. I burn a quart every 1000 miles(Nissan states 1quart per 1k miles is normal). it still put down almost 280whp. But i drive 100 miles a day and beat the living **** out of it. More then you could imagine i want to blow the motor up so i can do a rebuild lol. Anyway i have 12 quarts of amsoil at my house i was using mobile 1 extended since i bought the car in 05 with 12k miles on it. I have feeling the amsoil is gonna fix or reduce the oil consumption. My friend is raving about this oil. Also ill bet your valve cover needs to be changed and not cause of a little oil residue around were the seals. Its leaking oil in the plugs most likely and the o rings are not replaceable check the passenger side.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Lee R

Amsoil fixing the problem? Replacing a gasket? I'm telling you man...do a proper leak down test.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 AM
infamous350

its not leaking well my car. Its burning. you'd be surprised my friends car completely stoped lburing any oil when he put amsoil and his valve ticking completley went away
Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Lee R

Originally Posted by infamous350
its not leaking well my car. Its burning. you'd be surprised my friends car completely stoped lburing any oil when he put amsoil and his valve ticking completley went away

A leakdown test doesn't measure or see where the oil is actually leaking!
It measures how much oil is leaking past the cylinder and burning off on the plugs and or out the tailpipe in ugly thick grey/black smoke. Ugh......
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done dozens of cylinder leak down tests. They only measure how much air is leaking past the rings and valves seats with the piston at top dead center. They tell you nothing about the condition of the cylinder further down the bore, where the side loading on the piston sometimes causes more wear. They don't tell you anything about the condition of the valve stem seals, either. Consequently, the test will not always tell you where the oil is getting into the combustion chamber.

The test will tell you something about the overall condition of the engine, though. If there's a lot of leakage at TDC , you can assume the cylinders/rings and/or valves/seats are in bad shape.

Last edited by winchman; 03-10-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM
trusovici

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

yea check your valve cover seal. an easy way to check is to take out your plugs and see if they are covered in oil. if so, your probably leaking from there into the cylinder.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 AM
abretz89

Hey guys, I just bought my 06 a few months ago and did the first oil change last week. Didn't see any leaks after driving the first few days then I did a highway run up to 120 and when I got off the exit and parked a few miles away ive got smoke billowing from the hood. I assumed maybe coolant bubbled over from the reservoir since I topped it off a tad over the max line. Another few days of normal driving and no problems. Then last night jumped on the throttle to pass someone and smoke out the tailpipes and slight burning smell when I got out of the car. I did notice a small drop of oil under where I parked but haven't gone under to see where it came from. Any ideas on how bad it might be? It's at 59,500 miles so I have a touch of warranty left. Should I just take it to Nissan before the coverage runs out?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM
winchman

Originally Posted by trusovici
yea check your valve cover seal. an easy way to check is to take out your plugs and see if they are covered in oil. if so, your probably leaking from there into the cylinder.
There's absolutely no way oil from a leaking valve cover gasket can get into the cylinder until you loosen/remove the spark plug.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Shawz1102

Originally Posted by infamous350
Yeah thats not good. WHen my car had that many miles it burned zero oil. It has 140k on it now. I burn a quart every 1000 miles(Nissan states 1quart per 1k miles is normal). it still put down almost 280whp. But i drive 100 miles a day and beat the living **** out of it. More then you could imagine i want to blow the motor up so i can do a rebuild lol. Anyway i have 12 quarts of amsoil at my house i was using mobile 1 extended since i bought the car in 05 with 12k miles on it. I have feeling the amsoil is gonna fix or reduce the oil consumption. My friend is raving about this oil. Also ill bet your valve cover needs to be changed and not cause of a little oil residue around were the seals. Its leaking oil in the plugs most likely and the o rings are not replaceable check the passenger side.
Wait, Nissan said our engine is supposed to burn 1 qt ever 1,000 miles? For full synthetic oils that only needs to be changed every 10,000 miles (according to oil manufacturer), our engines would be oil-less by the time we reach 10,000. Is this right?!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
There's absolutely no way oil from a leaking valve cover gasket can get into the cylinder until you loosen/remove the spark plug.
Right. He must have meant the "cylinder" area where the spark plug lives.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM
trusovici

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

oh yea and check the seal around your dipstick, if its ripped it will **** out oil onto the exhaust manifold and burn. when i bought my z the rubber seal at the top of the dipstick was torn and would leak. drove me nuts until i noticed it. brought it to 3 shops and they had no idea.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:19 PM
infamous350

Yeah nissan told me a quart of oil every 1000 miles is normal on performance vehicles lol. I think the person who drove it the first 17k didn't break it in properly or something. Or maybe i just beat on it to much
Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
ratz1400

Well I just got my car back and they changed my pcv valve and said it solved the problem.. I'm not home to check so idk but I hope that's it
Old 03-16-2011, 01:08 PM
winchman

Well, heck. There was another thread where I suggested the PCV valve could be the culprit, but the symptoms were different from what you posted.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-symptoms.html

I hope the fix actually solves your problem. That was probably not horrendously expensive.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:56 PM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawz1102
Wait, Nissan said our engine is supposed to burn 1 qt ever 1,000 miles? For full synthetic oils that only needs to be changed every 10,000 miles (according to oil manufacturer), our engines would be oil-less by the time we reach 10,000. Is this right?!
No. Nissan recognizes 1 quart every 1000 miles as excessive oil consumption. The consumption rate accepted by Nissan is up to 1 quart for the life of the oil change interval.

Last edited by dmroberson; 03-16-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 PM
abretz89

oh yea and check the seal around your dipstick, if its ripped it will **** out oil onto the exhaust manifold and burn. when i bought my z the rubber seal at the top of the dipstick was torn and would leak. drove me nuts until i noticed it. brought it to 3 shops and they had no idea.
Thanks for that post. It didnt even dawn on me to even think that would be the culprit but sure enough, chunk missing from the rubber seal where it seats. Trip to Nissan and a new dipstick solved that problem. How the previous owner and/or nissan dealership I bought it from missed this is beyond me.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Steve-O Z33

Mine recently started going through A LOT of oil. I have 2k on my last change and I've added 1.5 quarts. No smoking, car runs great. But the oil disappears. No dripping in the driveway.

I just checked my dipstick last week and it's ripped. There is also oil all around it and on the hoses near it. So that's got to be my culprit. A few weeks ago, I replaced the PCV just to be sure. Oh well, at least I know. The 03-06 dipstick is just a joke. Bad location and the rubber breaks off, causing a bad leak. Until this must have melted/broke off/whatever, the car really didn't burn oil. So I was a bit worried to see myself 1/2-1 quart low after a long drive. In 250-ish miles of driving, it's about 1/2 a quart low right now. So dumping that much German Castrol in between a change gets expensive. I'm definitely going longer between this change since I've added nearly 2 quarts.