Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

oil in my spark plug well

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 PM
mcsoap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in my spark plug well

I was changing my spark plugs and I found oil in one of the wells. I also lost about a quarter of a quart of oil in the last week. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong.

Car has 55k miles
Plenum spacer from previous owner.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope the oil didnt get in while you were swapping em out...valve covers need new gaskets, seals loose.....let me guess, cyl on right side?!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:40 PM
mcsoap

Grrr. right side as in passenger side.???
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Yeah, whats the scoop...you let some oil in the dirty girl, not so good if ya did....
Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 AM
mcsoap

Grrr. I figured it was the valve cover after researching. I won't be running into many problems if I just Change the right side. If I just do that side everything is gonna be like 200.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Mcutali

Default re oil in 6th cyc

Just had this issue a month or so ago 67k on a 04 touring.
bought the driver side valve cover to my door for 176$ from Circle Infiniti in Nj just call the parts dept. West Covina CA Nissan has good prices too. my hometown dealership wants 240 for the same valve cover. Anyways I had oil in driver side, sixth cylinder well, replace valve cover and outer gasket since new valve cover comes with new tube seals, which is really all i needed but I get to spend the bucks to play. Its really straight forward. Just remember to plug the correct delphi to the correct coil and that you got all delphi's plugged back in, I believe you remove one on the back of bank A and forgot it and fired up and things were sloppy. I've heard some people putting a bead of gasket maker in from the top let it cure and ran around like that, I didnt trust that idea and got the valve cover, I'm sure when I do my plugs here in 5k I'll be replacing passenger side. Thats just my luck. So for peace of mind replace both sides same time. Good luck
Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

yep, got the same thing.. thats next.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Stock2Autocrozz

Reaearch, wasnt my second post/first reply a good indicator!?lol
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

might as well do both sides man.. the other sides gonna go before the new one will, even if it IS another 65k until it does....or u can get away with repeat installs...not my cup of tea....unless you like pulling your plenum alot..

ha.. sounds dirty..

Get your hands off your plenum! youl go blind, boy!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is common, just clean it up and put the new plug in...wouldnt worry about it...dont listen to noobs with no knowledge at all who think they know a thing or 2

edit: i didnt read about u losing oil?? are u sure on that and that u didnt just read the dipstick wrong...they dipstick is pretty rough to read...the oil in the plug hole is very common and not something to worry about if its just a little bit and only in 1 hole..the other part about losing oil idk..keep an eye on it..what year? maybe u have oil consumption

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-28-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Stock2Autocrozz

Ummm, valve cover gaskets seeping oil into spark channels, and you think not replacing is a good idea? Throwing noob comments out and talk about diff reading dipstick, wtf, lol and yes you may as well replace both sets because they will need it.

Blew valve gaskets running n2o, and yep did the full valve job, and guess what NO OIL
But I guess you could listen to tyler, he knows a thing or 2
Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Default haha we got an internet tuff guy..!

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
this is common, just clean it up and put the new plug in...wouldnt worry about it...dont listen to noobs with no knowledge at all who think they know a thing or 2

Dude,

dude... dont start out my Monday out being a tool.

Its a VERY common plug tube seal leak, and just cleaning it off the plug doesnt help. Srsly? Sah weet! Wish i just did that.
KNow a thing or two.. hmm. K.

Not a newb.
Also not a "my350z.com gray bush"

Awesome!
Hows this then "champ"...Ill agree that its not like its POURING into the plug tube, but giving the dude advice to leave the leaky tube in the car is FAIL tactic... i personally dont LOVE getting 4k rpm misfires on a lean running engine nearing WOT as my plugs begin to fail from more oil fouling... or to repeatedly replace 50 sets of plugs every 20k miles. Sounds like kind of more hassle that we thought huh.. yea.

Like them apples?

so OP, do what ya wana do i guess, but searching valve cover will surely give YOU the background data you need to make a proper diagnosis and plan for repair.

Or you can just clean your plug off and keep driving... either way.

DOnt get butt hurt mang... you jab, expect a jab back.
Attached Thumbnails oil in my spark plug well-internet-dickwad-theory.gif  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Stock2Autocrozz

^^^+1K, glad you had more time than my initial retort to him, lol

I want tyler to find some evidence oil in the cyl is a good thing,wtf
Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM
tylerxfire

^^i dont talk ebonics and have no interest in trying to even understand what you are saying...9 out of 10 vq's will have oil in one of the plug holes end of story it is not even worth explaining to someone who has no idea what they are talking about but like to pretend they do...it is more common than you could imagine i guess...have u ever even had a vq apart..i take it no...im not talking about just plugs..ive built my own and more than my own and done work on many

not one time did i say o yeah thats a good thing..no i said its a common thing..yes u can replace both valve covers go for it spend ur money on something that will just happen again...im telling u ive pulled plugs out of vq's with less than 10,000 miles and all of them to date have had oil in at least one of the plug holes..not one has replaced them and not one is having any problem..do some searching on here in the F/I part of this forum and u might find knowledgeable information..the most common one to have oil is driver side rear toward the firewall...

my car 03, i had oil in the plug hole driver side all the way back like i explained is the most common..first time i changed the plugs was at 20k miles when i boosted it...not a ton of oil just a little..cleaned it up threw the new plugs in zero issues 20k miles later..and i am actually making power, dyno tuning, running at the track, street driving it and not a misfire ever!!! and as u can see my car makes power and runs just fine...get a ****ing clue if u think u know a thing or 2...really not worth any more time...OP do what u like yes u can replace the valve covers i recommend cleaning it up putting new plugs in run it for a few thousand miles and pull them out and check the plug holes again, bet theres little to no oil..\

if ur car has 55k miles and is the first time replacing the plugs id absolutely expect to have oil in at least one of the plug holes..call any shop around that knows about this motor and see what they say..

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-28-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM
tylerxfire

oil consumption is the most common on the 05's
Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Stock2Autocrozz

^^ Cool story bro

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
oil consumption is the most common on the 05's
Untrue, I have an 05 valve seal probs yes, oil consumption over just natural synthetic loss??? NEVER BEEN an issue...the HR's I have heard of otherwise, you're talkin out your a$$ again
Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Stock2Autocrozz
^^ Cool story bro

Untrue, I have an 05 valve seal probs yes, oil consumption over just natural synthetic loss??? NEVER BEEN an issue...the HR's I have heard of otherwise, you're talkin out your a$$ again

wooooww...ur just proving things over and over that u have no idea what u are talking about...and really i could care less if u do..ur a punk and its very obvious..not worth the time...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:28 PM
tylerxfire

ill make this easy..OP

ur car has 55k miles..if its the first time the plugs have been changed id expect oil to be in at least 1 of the plug holes..most likely its driver side all the way to the back...Now, if the oil is all over the place or numerous holes or filling the holes up or something yes absolutely replace both valve covers now...Now if you have a little oil in 1 of the holes even maybe 2 of the holes, i would clean it up put new plugs in and go about ur way..next oil change check ur plugs..if there is alot of oil again then replace valve covers ..my guess is this is the first time they have been changed and it is expected to someone who knows this motor.. i bet there will be little to no oil and you will be glad you didnt spend money on valve covers at ur next check on them..

now this is the OP's decision and truly if he doesnt know what he is doing he should call somewhere near him that knows the vq and they will stear him the right way...

perfect example here of not beleiving everything you read on the internet.

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-28-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
tylerxfire

as far as losing oil that is another problem..like i said the 05's are most known to have oil consumption problems and some 06's but yes other years on occasion are known for the issue also..more on the 05's though...i will say as i said before the dipstick is kinda tough to get a good true reading sometimes so id get it right and check it again...get the car on a flat surface and let it cool for about 10 mins then check the oil

unsubd...good luck op....hope u dont listen to those who are more concerned with their big body kits and wings...at least take the advice and see where it goes, wont hurt anything..hard for me to tell how bad ur case or where or how bad the oil is but take my advice how u will and decide for yourself based off of your situation..

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-28-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

U mad?

I have no wing, or bodykit but did have the same problem, and guess what fixed& solid results 20k later!?

yes OP do what ya want, but phugginay, this is the same guy who didn't know how to install fuel injectors....so i will leave you to it.

Quick Reply: oil in my spark plug well