Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM
350zconvert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 350z. The top closes ok, but when opening the top after at has been closed for a few days...the lid goes up 1/4 of the way and stops. I bump the switch two more times and it goes all the way and works fine the rest of the day. Sounds like I need to replaces brushes in the two convertible top Motors. Are the brushes the same size and is there a video out there showing how to remove the motors? What is 5th bow? Is there a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th bow??
Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Ivan Youroff

Originally Posted by 350zconvert
I have a 2004 350z. The top closes ok, but when opening the top after at has been closed for a few days...the lid goes up 1/4 of the way and stops. I bump the switch two more times and it goes all the way and works fine the rest of the day. Sounds like I need to replaces brushes in the two convertible top Motors. Are the brushes the same size and is there a video out there showing how to remove the motors? What is 5th bow? Is there a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th bow??
According to service manual to access roof actuators one needs to uninstall roof assembly. It's like a first step in the guide. However the same is true for 5th bow motor, which people learned to remove without even touching the roof assembly itself.
I have similar symptoms to yours, and replacing brushes 5th bow motor didn't fix help much, so the only option left is roof actuators, but even after reading service manual and looking at it on the car I got no idea how to replace them without removing the roof completely. Let me know if you figure out the way.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:06 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Hey Ivan, what part of Seattle do you live in?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:45 PM
Ivan Youroff

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Hey Ivan, what part of Seattle do you live in?
Green lake
Old 05-22-2018, 04:00 PM
msk59

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am new to the forum and have a convertible 2006 350Z with 6 speed MT. The car is in mint condition with low miles and I am trying to keep it clean.So reading all I can to learn about the convertible top. Is there a procedure on how to grease those areas in order for the top to stay functional?

thank you.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Ivan Youroff

Originally Posted by msk59
I am new to the forum and have a convertible 2006 350Z with 6 speed MT. The car is in mint condition with low miles and I am trying to keep it clean.So reading all I can to learn about the convertible top. Is there a procedure on how to grease those areas in order for the top to stay functional?

thank you.
I believe the discussed situation cannot be prevented by greasing or anything like that, it's just the way brushed motors work — brushes wear out and the only way to save the motor is replacing them.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:15 PM
msk59

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks i understand that. My car is 2006 and has only 51K on it. the previous owner kept it in the garage and looks like trunk was never used. In reading one of these posts someone suggested to keep the linkages lubricated every few years or so to keep the top functioning properly. Motor issues I understand

I check the elastic straps and they are not that elastic so i will be replacing those soon. Will check with the dealer to see how much they charge to replace or other local upholstery shops here in Tulsa area.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:23 AM
350zconvert

Originally Posted by Ivan Youroff
According to service manual to access roof actuators one needs to uninstall roof assembly. It's like a first step in the guide. However the same is true for 5th bow motor, which people learned to remove without even touching the roof assembly itself.
I have similar symptoms to yours, and replacing brushes 5th bow motor didn't fix help much, so the only option left is roof actuators, but even after reading service manual and looking at it on the car I got no idea how to replace them without removing the roof completely. Let me know if you figure out the way.
The motors can be removed by removing 2 bolts and 1 nut. Very simple. Will post pics when brushes come in this week and I re-install motors. Nissan will only sell you an "assembly" which has motor installed on part of the convertible top frame work, which would be a LOT more intense.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:27 AM
350zconvert

Old 05-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Ivan Youroff

Originally Posted by 350zconvert
The motors can be removed by removing 2 bolts and 1 nut. Very simple. Will post pics when brushes come in this week and I re-install motors. Nissan will only sell you an "assembly" which has motor installed on part of the convertible top frame work, which would be a LOT more intense.
Wow, that'd be highly appreciated! Could you also share brushes dimensions for these motors? And where did you order them?
Old 05-27-2018, 04:19 PM
Ivan Youroff

A tiny update on 5th bow motor brushes dimensions:

8-10 is approximated length of the new brush, I installed 10mm and it barely fitted: the spring could barely reach the end. Of the brush.
Also to note that the material is not a regular graphite, rather some mix with copper or some other metal.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 AM
simioh

Hey, sorry for bringing up an old thread, it seems like it was very detailed with the picture explanations but the pictures don't show up. Is it just me, or were the pictures taken down or something?
Old 06-08-2018, 02:10 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by simioh
Hey, sorry for bringing up an old thread, it seems like it was very detailed with the picture explanations but the pictures don't show up. Is it just me, or were the pictures taken down or something?
I can help you..PM me your email address.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:52 PM
mkubi007@gmail.

Where did the pics go? Is there another site they are on? I would love to see them.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:48 AM
Zhelpneeded

I'm not able to see the pics from this post. Are they still available? Thanks
Old 09-16-2018, 04:01 PM
VictorBravo

I recently had my 5th bow motor rebuilt by a guy in Florida. He did a great job. I found him on eBay. I just posted a video on Youtube describing my reinstall of the motor. It is a pain in the *** but hopefully, the video will help make the pain easier. Just remember how much you are saving doing this yourself.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:14 AM
Zhelpneeded

I also had my motor rebuilt by professionalserviceinc. I was fortunate enough to find his link on ebay.com. The turn around was phenomenal. I had to glue a Phillips head socket into a socket in order to the back screw out. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this repair. The cost of a new motor is ridiculous.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Tall_Larry

What happened to the photos?
Old 01-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Dlwarre

sorry I don't see any pictures
Old 01-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Dlwarre

I know this is an old thread, but do you know where I can get access to the directions for gaining access to the 5th motor and replacing it?

Quick Reply: How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.