Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car won't start/no code :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 PM
iheartmyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start/no code :(

Hey everyone, quick background info: I drift, last time I went, cooling fan wire got ripped up a little. Yesterday I'm driving to my friends house and the front of my car ate up some road debris, nothing big and everything seemed fine so I kept going because i was about 20 minutes away fron my friends house. I kept a close eye on gauges and sensors. After about
10 minutes of issue free driving, temp goes up, car starts clunking, then dies. I pull off the road to find the center of my bumper missing, radiator leaking from the drain plug on the bottom. I let the car cool down till my friend arrives with his trailer, start my car, drive it up and he brings it to his house. We drive it in to his garage and start working. The drain plug was stripped so we replace the radiator with a spare he had, fix up the fan wires, fill back up with coolant and go to start it back up. Battery is dead. I've never had an issue with my car needing to be jumped before. Once we jump it, it sounds like it's misfiring, bad. Turn it off and start looking at possible issues. We can't find anything and now the car won't even start??? Could we have grounded a wire somehow while replacing the radiator?? If so, why would that cause the car to misfire?? There are no codes and we don't know what's up other than possibly the fan wires. Anyone have a clue or any suggestions?? Thank you in advance!

Last edited by iheartmyz; 05-13-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you hear the fuel pump humming when the key in ignition turn to the ACC?

If not, then its your fuel pump. (happened to me once because of a dead battery)
Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 PM
iheartmyz

Fuel pump is good. Tomorrow we're gunna re wire the fans to be on a switch of some sort and just run new wire to bypass any potential shorts. Any other ideas?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:46 PM
bottlefedZ

Have you checked your fuses?Check the one on the positive battery cable...GL
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 PM
iheartmyz

All fuses checked out alright...charged the battery for a few hours while I carbons fiber wrapped my roof (pimp) and it started up. It was rough. It would go back and forth from misfiring to running fine till the white smoke came...it started smoking out the exhaust BAD. It threw 6 codes, well 3 codes twice. P0335, p0340, p0345 if i remember correctly. Checked the oil, it was milky...looks like I gotta change the head gasket I still don't know how this would explain the battery dying...gotta get the parts and do the work and see where I'm at...any ideas are still welcome!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from your description, it seems like you knew the temp gauge was starting to creep up so you pulled over before it overheated..? if so your headgasket should be okay, but milky oil says no lie.

have your checked for possible vacuum leaks and leaky hoses?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 PM
iheartmyz

Since I pulled off the road, the car has ran for a total of like 2 minutes. I've been scrambling looking for coolant leaks, checking codes and there was a bit of just sitting there in awe listening to how bad it sounds...its holding fluid pretty well for a car with blown head gaskets...just a lot of white smoke and milky oil so once I rip that all apart, I'll see if that just fixes it...hopefully. I'll check for vacum leaks next weekend when I start working on it again...
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
iheartmyz

anyone think i need to have my heads looked at?? i dont think they'd be warped, i the temp was up on the car for all of 20 seconds....unless the temp sensor was bad...