Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

I Think i Killed my ECU ! :( HELP :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM
chodalak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Think i Killed my ECU ! :( HELP :(

HI!! Sooo my car is really stressing me out, and i would really..really like any thoughts or options on my 350z problems

i will give as much info as possible if you need more please ask

Ok, soo i crashed my car not to long ago (October) and i have been slowly fixing it up, as per my other threads.

So i was fixing it up and i have to boost the battery, the engine ran fine after crash, and only ran without filter. MAF was connected.

I , by accident wile playing around with it, once disconnected the negative of the batter, but the engine ran, it was running off the alternator.

And once wile boosting it, i got the engine to run, no problem, but wile disconnecting the wires, i accidentally shorted positive and negative wile still connected to the 350z.

(i think thats what did it)

the engine started acting funny, but im not sure how close it was to the 'shorting event" But im sure they have something to do with each other.

So, my engine is throwing codes, MAF sensor, and intake temp sensor, which is in the same housing if i'm correct.

So i bought a new one, had it installed, cleared the codes, and it threw the same code with the same engine problems.
(limp mode with 2500 rpm max, sputtry behavior, conclusive with bad maf)

Also, i used a multi-meter to measure the voltage and current coming from my fan wires, and there was not voltage, even wile AC was on (which by default both fans should be on)

So my the mechanic have been trouble shooting, checking continuity with maf and ecu, and voltages.

and one wire from (pin 4 on MAF to pin 51 on ECU i think), and at idle should be i think 1.5ish volts, but its only .3 volts) also it seems the wiring harness is FINE

My mechanic unplugged the ECU and turned the car (not on, but like turned to key to turn electronics on)
and the fans were working!, so the fans are getting voltage, but the ECU is not telling them to be one when the should be on.

My mechanic unplugged the ECU and put it into another 350z, and it would not start, so we concluded i have a **** ECU. but upon further thought, arn't his keys programed for his ECU, and not mine?

I still think my ECU is ****, and i am Getting a new one tomorrow, used, it comes with ECU complete UNCUT wiring harness, ignition, and keys. for 500 cash

and were fitting into the 350z before i pay, but wont i need my keys to be programed for the NEW ECU? thanks.

PLEASE HELP ME!, any thoughts opinions anything, anything that would be helpfull
im really getting my hopes down now

thanks all for looking!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM
chodalak

if i get a new ECU, will i need to reprogram my Keys to that ECU?

or get a new set of keys for it?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chodalak
if i get a new ECU, will i need to reprogram my Keys to that ECU?

or get a new set of keys for it?
yes, it will have to go to a dealership to be flashed for your car so the security works properly.

about the rest: it's way too complex it figure out on the computer. Like you suspect it sounds like something is fried.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 PM
tony530

Do u have a scan tool?? Or a way to check live data??
Old 05-25-2011, 04:06 AM
chodalak

ya im at performance shop, and they read data from the obd-whatever data port, and they said MAF was getting low voltage, and we checked all the lines, and they used multi -meter and detailed electronics manual of the 350z maf wiring to check and see if volatges and Continuity exists, and some read normal, others not so much.

also, my wires getting to my fan were not geting anyvoltage. so we wired them up as per diagrams on this website, ans still nothing, even when AC is on.

BUT when they pulled the ECU, and put the key to the power up electronics mode(exact name?) just before cranking engine, the fans flew!...so i know they are wires correct, but the ecu has no control.

again, ALL wiring seems fine in the wngine bay, mainly the ones attached to the MAF and fan, all seem clean and undamaged all the way to the firewall, thus all wiring to ECU seems fine.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 AM
chodalak

anyways, i guess im goign to get that new ECU, wiring harness, ignition, and keys from that guy in toronto, all for 500 dollars. from a same modle year 350z!...

Ill get ONE of my keys reflashed to the ECU...

what info do they need to flash a KEY to a corasponding ECU?

Will the data on ECU be enought, or will there be A VIN number printed on the ECU

**SORRY for the run on scentences, and bad spelling/grammar, as i am an engineer because i never liked reading or writing books and such, math is my stongpoint!.

i thank anyone who has any oppions, good or bad, possative or negative (yes im an idiot for shorting my batter).

but anything help, thank you all ***
Old 05-25-2011, 04:50 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hopefully the deal on the new ECU you got works out. I'm not sure about compatibility across models and years.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 AM
binder

You need the same trans type ecu and the same model range. So for me i have a 2003 manual coupe so I would need an 2003-2006 coupe manual ecu.

They will flash the ecu with the rom for your exact VIN number. At least that's what the dealership told me when I was thinking about trying a new ecu. The cost was way too much for me to justify testing to see if my ecu was a lemon.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

would be much more entertaining to read a thread titled :

" I Think i Killed my WIFE ! HELP
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 AM
chodalak

Originally Posted by bmccann101
would be much more entertaining to read a thread titled :

" I Think i Killed my WIFE ! HELP
ahhaha thanks for that lol
Old 05-25-2011, 07:31 AM
chodalak

Originally Posted by binder
You need the same trans type ecu and the same model range. So for me i have a 2003 manual coupe so I would need an 2003-2006 coupe manual ecu.

They will flash the ecu with the rom for your exact VIN number. At least that's what the dealership told me when I was thinking about trying a new ecu. The cost was way too much for me to justify testing to see if my ecu was a lemon.
hey binder, thanks for the help.

I hope the ECU is the same model number, it should be since they are prolly the same across the modle range, at least for the 2003's,

so i can take it into Nissan and get them to flash it for my Vin number (coupe, MT), plug it in, and my keys will match start the engine and ill be driving to the beach this summer?!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM
chodalak

I'm going to get the new ECU, and flash it for 104 dollars at Nissan, i gotta some how get the car into Nissan...PUSH? lol or drive it super slow in limp mode at night...iunno tow for 80$?

Anyways, I hope the ECU takes the new ROM and its not a bad ECU.
Also i hope the guy has a same model number of UCU as mine!

And if it takes the new ROM...i think it will work 100%...I'm stressing! but I'm strong! lol

any other opinions are welcome
Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 PM
binder

I would discuss it with the nissan techs. Tell them you want to replace the ecu because you think you fried it and they should say whether they can or can't. They told me they could when i wanted to do it but it was for way more than 104$. I would do it for 104$

I also would just spend the money on the tow just in case.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:23 AM
chodalak

ok, just bought a complete engine harness (uncut), 2003 M/T ECU (same as mine - god i hope it works)

Ignition, and a set of keys to match for a good price!

so im going to tow it to nissan with the ECU installed, and there going to flash my VIN numbers INFO on like so the chip in the keys will match up.

ill let you guys know how it works.

it costs 104 dollars to flash an ECU
Old 05-31-2011, 06:44 AM
chodalak

getting ECU today, and dragging it to nissan. gona get itnither key flashed to new ecu, or ecu flashed to my cars vinnumber and keys...
whatever works

wish me some F*ckiMg luck
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Good luck...

VO(in for results)
Old 06-03-2011, 08:19 AM
chodalak

Originally Posted by vo7848
Good luck...

VO(in for results)

HEY car is running well and has power and has full rpm range!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
chodalak

hey everyone!!! im f U k 1ng HAPPY hahha engine is fixxed, guy just called, has good power band, strong pulls and everything, only thing is slip and ABS light are on, but he says after an alignment and something to do with steering wheel position sensor but whatever... I HAVE A WORKING ENGINE@!!!!@

great way to start the weekend with that news,

NOT sure what the problem was, but im goign into nissan now to get some answers, but im on my OLD ECU, so i bought an ecu for nothing, ohh well ill sell it

stay tuned for the exact report oon the VQ peice of **** report hahahha
Old 06-03-2011, 08:36 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea the ABS/slip light means the ABS computer is throwing codes. Low brake fluid, steering sensors, speed sensors, can all cause that. hopefully no other systems like the BCM or ABS computer have similar issues...
Old 09-14-2017, 08:07 AM
forcinduct

Originally Posted by chodalak
hey everyone!!! im f U k 1ng HAPPY hahha engine is fixxed, guy just called, has good power band, strong pulls and everything, only thing is slip and ABS light are on, but he says after an alignment and something to do with steering wheel position sensor but whatever... I HAVE A WORKING ENGINE@!!!!@

great way to start the weekend with that news,

NOT sure what the problem was, but im goign into nissan now to get some answers, but im on my OLD ECU, so i bought an ecu for nothing, ohh well ill sell it

stay tuned for the exact report oon the VQ peice of **** report hahahha
Did we ever find out what exactly went wrong with it???

Quick Reply: I Think i Killed my ECU ! :( HELP :(