Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Hard to start, but runs great

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:48 PM
slipknot2157

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start, but runs great

Just a little background info. This is my friends car and we recently just replaced the clutch in it. Soon as the clutch job was complete, we start the car up and it started fine, but ran horrible. It had no throttle response and sounded like it wasn't running on all cylinders. So after a few quick searches on here, I'm thinking that the flywheel wasn't aligned properly. It's just the stock flywheel that was turned and as far as we could tell, the dowel rod was lined up.

So while I'm researching the issue and thinking it's they flywheel, my other friend crawls under it and unplugs the sensor on the side of the bell housing. I'm assuming this is the crank position sensor. When this is unplugged, it cranks for a lot longer than usual, but once it actually starts, it runs amazing. I took it for a test drive and noticed zero problems. We purchased a new crank position sensor, plugged it in, same issue.

Until we can get it back into the shop on Tuesday and up on the lift, he's simply going to drive it like this and deal with the starting problem.

I told him to take it to the local parts store and have the codes scanned and it came back with a camshaft position sensor. I don't remember touching this sensor, but I guess it's possible for the passenger side sensor. I'm still waiting to hear back from him if it pulled a code for bank 1 or 2.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ran into this same issue and if there are any other thoughts or suggestions to offer. I was kind of surprised the car runs without the crank position sensor plugged in. If it really is a problem with the flywheel I guess we'll take it right back out, but I'd rather avoid that. We did this job for free because he's a good friend and didn't have the money to take it anywhere at this point.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems like this has come up before, and the problem was the flywheel being installed incorrectly. When you unplug the crankshaft position sensor, the ecu goes to a back-up method. That takes some time as the engine is starting, but then it runs OK.

Hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm or correct this, but maybe this will give you a clue for doing a search here.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 PM
slipknot2157

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you able to confirm that the stock flywheel is able to be installed incorrectly? I thought I read somewhere that aftermarket flywheels may be a little different and had the ability to be installed incorrectly, but I assumed the stock flywheel would only install flush when it was in the correct position.

I appreciate the suggestion, looks like this tranny may need to come back out. At least it will be easy this time. It took a while on the ground without air tools. Next time we will be in the shop with a lift and all the air tools we need
Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the '07 service manual:

"Flywheel (M/T models)
When installing flywheel to crankshaft, be sure to correctly align crankshaft side dowel pin and flywheel side dowel pin hole.
CAUTION:
If these are not aligned correctly, engine runs roughly and “MIL” turns on."

MIL=Malfunction Indicator Light

Last edited by winchman; 05-30-2011 at 04:27 AM.