Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Front upper control arm bent? Please take a look -

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Traininvain

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front upper control arm bent? Please take a look -

Backstory:

Had new rear tires put on last week. Ventus v12 evo k110. The hankooks that are supposed to be a good value. They replaced RE050A's that were well worn in with a good degree of camber wear. They were fantastic - car felt great up to this point.

After putting new tires on, the car is all over the place. Seems to drift on highway, turn in is unpredictable and it even changes path mid turn. Its bad. So I think -these new tires are terrible (sidewall is ridiculously soft regardless of other issues), but I probably need an alignment. So I decided to get an alignment before I burn these tires, as many other people seem to like them.

It has been over a year since I got an alignment and I went off track hard once and hey, its new england it takes some pretty big pothole hits. Took it to get an alignment. Front toe was off a decent bit but within spec, they fixed that but the front right camber is off - and obviously front camber isn't adjustable. I can't find the sheet but front right camber was ~1.73?

The tech told me the front upper control arm was bent or something because it was so far off, and being non-adjustable it shouldn't be. So I ordered a new OEM replacement but I don't see any deformation or bend in the arm itself. It does seem the bolt connecting the upper arm to the lower peice (w/e its called), is NOT straight. It seems to sit at an angle?

I've never really looked at this in detail before hoping someone who's more familiar with how it SHOULD look could just give me a - "yep thats bent" or "should look like that np" Also this bolt has the retainer pin type thing through it. It is safe to remove that to take a look at the bolt? Can I separate the two arms without removing anything else?

Thanks for the help - I have to drive the car 400 miles to MD tomorrow

Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

If your right front camber is at -1.73 degrees than its within spec. My SCCA T2 Z33 sits at -1.8 and I would love it if I could get some additional negative camber into it. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Traininvain

Yea I just took it apart and it looks fine - canceled my order for the replacement arm. I'm going to find the alignment sheet so I can get the right number.

I really dont know where to start looking, it was fine before I put the rear tires on but I just don't see how that can cause everything to go to hell.

Ok - from the sheet (sorry dont have scan handy)

06-09 350z

Front left/right camber spec: -1.33 to .17

My left: -1.02
My right: -1.53

They circled the -1.53 in red and wrote "right front upper control arm replace"

Something is definitely wrong - turn in is unpredictable, even mid turn it just doesn't feel steady or right.

The rear still feels soft but I give that up to the new tires.

Last edited by Traininvain; 07-26-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:45 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Have you checked your rear toe?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Traininvain

Rear came out as:

Left Toe - .6
Left Camber - 1.97

Right Toe - .7
Right Camber - 1.68

Camber seems to be pretty big difference but its technically "in spec" so they left it. I was just at some mom/pop getting my state inspection done. Didn't really expect a good alignment just wanted to seem if something was way off.

I think I'll just bring it somewhere reputable and let them look at it. I guess the front camber isn't THAT far off but I see no reason it shouldn't be in spec unless something is bent/off/whatever.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 PM
omsin523

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's weird did you up/down tire sizes? or where they not balanced properly maybe.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about tire pressures? Low TP will make the car handle badly.