Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problems with my brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 PM
350Zamir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with my brake lights

Hey guys,
so last night i got pulled over and apparently my brake lights arn't working? I told the officer it works and demonstrated it a few times. It sometimes works n sometimes doesn't? I told him i would get it fixed right away so he let me off the hook Could this be the brake switch thats on top of the brake pedal?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 AM
The_Marne

You would have to check the whole harness all the way back to see where it's intermittent. Everywhere there is a break will have to be checked. I'm an electrician on Aircraft and this is the worst problem to troubleshoot because it works sometimes and it doesn't other times. If you want to do it yourself, you will definitely need a multimeter to read at all the breaks (connections) on the way back to the actual light.

Short answer: Could be anything, faulty switch, chafed wire, corrosion, faulty fuse. Good luck bro.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 PM
350Zamir

Originally Posted by The_Marne
You would have to check the whole harness all the way back to see where it's intermittent. Everywhere there is a break will have to be checked. I'm an electrician on Aircraft and this is the worst problem to troubleshoot because it works sometimes and it doesn't other times. If you want to do it yourself, you will definitely need a multimeter to read at all the breaks (connections) on the way back to the actual light.

Short answer: Could be anything, faulty switch, chafed wire, corrosion, faulty fuse. Good luck bro.
Oh man! I thought it would be an easy fix. I was messing around with the wire harness that connects to the brake switch and everytime I touch those, it usually makes the light turn on more often. But I think I migh just take it into a dealer and get it checked out. Thanks for the response bro!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 AM
DaveJackson
Master
Premier Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Pretty nice of the officer to let you off. Don't take it for granted--get it fixed ASAP.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 PM
350Zamir

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
Pretty nice of the officer to let you off. Don't take it for granted--get it fixed ASAP.
Yeah he was a really nice guy. Will be taking it in tomorrow to the dealership
Old 09-17-2011, 09:47 AM
PSebagh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar thing happen after I worked on my headlights. Old guy pulled up next to me on the PCH and told me all my brake lights were out. Took it to the dealership, figured it was the switch and it was but I didn't want to wait for shipping and install it myself. Dealership did it for like $40 I think. Not that big of a deal.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 PM
350Zamir

Well the dealership I went to said the switch is 69.99 and its 94.99 labor to install it... they must be on crack. i called o'rielly's autopart and luckily they had 2 in stock and bought it from there for 29.99 and installed it myself. Dealership are too much sometime. trying to make money off every little thing. but anyway If this happens to any of you guys. Many people have trouble replacing the switch themselves.
-You have to take the clip out that has the harness
-twist the switch at a 45 degree angle and it will pop out.
-did that in less than 5 seconds and saved myself almost a 100 dollars
Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 AM
DaveJackson
Master
Premier Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

^ Good for you!! Don't forget that extra part of the bill that says "shop supplies" that you also saved, too. Lousy thieves...
Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM
350Zamir

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
^ Good for you!! Don't forget that extra part of the bill that says "shop supplies" that you also saved, too. Lousy thieves...
yea bro they are ridiculous!