Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bumper ding

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:33 PM
beznyal8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper ding

So I am at a stop light and this guy behind me takes his foot off the brake and idles into my rear bumper. Really no major damage... no loss of paint and I was able to use Scratch Doctor to clean it up a bit. I just have 2 license plate bolt marks and an impression of the top part of his plate that drives me CRAZY?!! Any idea as to whether or not this can be cleaned up? Is there a paintless dent repair procedure for plastic bumpers?

Thanks fo rany insight! maybe I am too **** about my Z... :-) I keep telling myself it could have been way worse!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 PM
OkashiZ

Im in the same boat as you, but it happened while I was parked at school and the damage is more noticeable, I do have a little paint loss, but if I can just get rid of the dings I'd be happy. Interested to know if this is possible as well.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to massage it out if you use a heat gun.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:04 PM
nathanwl2004

umm yeah I have a solution, make his insurance pay for your new rear bumper..........unless you didn't get his information in which case you kinda screwed yourself.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:14 PM
stein

Originally Posted by nathanwl2004
umm yeah I have a solution, make his insurance pay for your new rear bumper..........unless you didn't get his information in which case you kinda screwed yourself.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Should have done it right and just got a new bumper from his insurance.. I'd try the heat gun method.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:00 PM
beznyal8r

Yep...I did get all of his information. I guess my dilema is that the damage is really not that noticable. It's really more MY deal. Just can't stand the fact that it is THERE!! The guy was an elderly man (maybe in his 80's) I was pissed, but then saw how fraile and sorry he was and just couldn't "go after the guy." He was probably a WWII vet, and I have a soft spot for these guys. I just can't justify a whole new bumper for the minor ding that was caused. Just thought it might be able to be buffed out a bit.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM
EmpireDude
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by beznyal8r
Yep...I did get all of his information. I guess my dilema is that the damage is really not that noticable. It's really more MY deal. Just can't stand the fact that it is THERE!! The guy was an elderly man (maybe in his 80's) I was pissed, but then saw how fraile and sorry he was and just couldn't "go after the guy." He was probably a WWII vet, and I have a soft spot for these guys. I just can't justify a whole new bumper for the minor ding that was caused. Just thought it might be able to be buffed out a bit.
I appreciate this a lot, but unfortunately the plastic bumpers are hard to get dings out of. Someone hit my front bumper with a cart or something in a parking lot last summer and left, after working it with heat, liquid CO2 etc. it's still there now gonna get it fixed at a body shop next spring, got quoted $325 for a fill and blend.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 PM
beznyal8r

Yep...finally went to an body shop and was told that the impression was not deep enough to "massage out" w/ a heat gun. I was told I could have it sanded down, painted and clearcoated for about $500.00. I am going to debate it over the winter. I store my Z during the long MN winters. The body shop guy could not see the blemish...I had to point it out. Maybe that's a sign that I can live w/ it!!?? I guess I am just too **** about my baby. Maybe a good wax and some time in the warm summer sun will help?