Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Need help bcm problems?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:40 AM
03_db350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help bcm problems?!?!?!

I got some led strips from local autozone and was going to do the DIY under dash lighting, well idk what happened in the process the led dont come on and the dome lights dont either now, the dome lights work manually but not when i open the door, ive checked all my fuses and there ok and even did the open the door and umplug battery ground terminal i did this like 4 times haha still nothing other than manually pressing it, my trunk light still cuts on when hatch opens its just with my dome lights, ive done research and i really hope its not the bcm can someone plz help me figure this out thanks, oh and like a dumbass i forgot to unplug the battery when i was putting the lights in
Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the dome light has power, this is not a fuse problem. Service manual points to the body control module. Diagnostic steps are way too long to list here.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 PM
albinobob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any pics of how you hooked it up? Do you have a multimeter to check out some voltages?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:50 PM
03_db350z

nah i didnt take any pics but i ran the wires from the led's up the drive side A pillar, there the three wire (red, purple, and black) from the dome light are, I t-tapped the positive from led into the red wire and the negatives into the purple wire, i just dont know if any wires may have touched that didnt need to be touched ill check out my service manual book and see what all it says about the bcm i just hope thats not the problem heard its pretty pricy
Old 11-20-2011, 08:18 PM
albinobob

Looking at the schematic I’d say it’s highly unlikely that you messed up the BCM. From what you described it sounds like the purple wire either got cut or some physical connection isn’t set right (switch not making contact or connector not seated properly) First thing I would do is cut to leads to the LEDs and check ground and power.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
03_db350z

okay awesome that is a relief to hear that lol yeah i cut into the purple wire up by the dome light itself and the red wire then un tapped it and wrapped it in electrical tape after finding out that those wires run down the A pillar then tapped em again there i was reading that the red and purple wire is what i need to splice into am i correct on that? ill go pull the pillar back off and check all my wires and make sure there not screwed up i mite just need to get a new dome light harness
Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM
03_db350z

i dont think its bcm now that you mentioned i it i can tap into the red/black and black wires thats on the harness that connect to dome light and its constant power so i know that the power is ok i also tried the tapping into the red/black wire and purple wire and still nothing im wondering if the door switch wire (purple?) is messed up
Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 PM
03_db350z

ok i tested the wires and there all getting power so i have no clue wtf is going on... the dome lights are acting weird they still come on fully when used manually but when in door positon i can kinda push on the dome light fixture itself and theyll light up very very faintly i tested the fixture itself where the bulbs are and there getting power too, i have led bulbs in there and dont think there bad considering they cut on when i manually press them so could it be the fixture bad? idk its really starting to get on my nerves alil
Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 PM
albinobob

The black is always ground the red will always have 12V (when the key is on) and the purple gets grounded through the BCM when the doors are open, car is unlocked, etc... So if the bulbs are getting power in door mode, that means that they are not getting ground somewhere in between the bulb connection and the pin going into the BCM. So start checking it at both end and work your way towards the middle until you find the problem. Also I would at least temporarily cut out the installed LEDs for the mean time.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:22 PM
03_db350z

took the dome light harness out and hooked it up in buddis Z and it works so its not the dome light harness and the harness that the dome light harness connects to in the A pillar is getting power so im thinking bcm does that sound right? i hope not but everything else is working like my trunk lights work and so does my interior mirror lights
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
albinobob

I'd try grounding out the purple wire by shoving a piece of wire in the back of the connector as close as you can get to the BCM. Also did you ever cut out the LED strips?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:57 PM
03_db350z

like by grounding it and shoving a wire you mean like a spare wire into the connector where the purple goes into and ground it to the body? sorry alil slow sometimes, and yeah they havent been hooked up this whole time just tucked the wires back under the dash
Old 11-29-2011, 08:02 PM
03_db350z

oh one more thing and sorry again for being slow bout this whole situation but in the A pillar after the dome light harness connects the other harness im guessing from BCM it turns into a pink wire, i know nothings wrong with the dome light harness cause i hooked it up in my buddies car to his dome lights and it worked so maybe it could be the other harness in the A pillar that goes to the BCM possibly
Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 AM
albinobob

Originally Posted by 03_db350z
like by grounding it and shoving a wire you mean like a spare wire into the connector where the purple goes into and ground it to the body?
Yep, Power is applied to the red wire when the ignition is in the on position. When you switch the dome light on manually you are providing a ground for the current to flow and light up the lights. The purple wire goes to the BCM and gets switched to ground when the BCM wants to turn on the lights. So by grounding out the Purple wire you are simulating the BCM. If they light up something happened to your BCM if not there is something wrong with your dome light.

The schematic just labels the color of the wire as “P” which I guess could stand for Purple or Pink. The only sure way to know is to trace it out.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 AM
03_db350z

ight cool thanks man for your help ill try it out today and let yah know
Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 PM
island03z

This may be a stupid suggestion but is the switch under the dome lights in the right position?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:14 PM
leo_giovani619

Originally Posted by 03_db350z
ight cool thanks man for your help ill try it out today and let yah know
Hey bro did you manage to fix the issue because Im having the same problem.
Dome lights wont turn on when I open the door??
I also installed LEDS.
Thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 04:16 PM
leo_giovani619

Originally Posted by island03z
This may be a stupid suggestion but is the switch under the dome lights in the right position?
What switch man?
Do your dome lights turn on when u open the door?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 AM
island03z

^That switch....
If it's on "off", the lights wont come on when you open the door. It has to be on the "door" position. Other than that if the problem persists you should get a circuit tester and trace the wires, but I'll bet it's either the switch or something between the switch and the lights.