Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bad Brakes Or Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Ghalleo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Brakes Or Rotors

Before I took my car to the shop, it had squealing front breaks like when a train is coming to a stop. I took it to the shop for normal service, also to get the brake pads changed. Drove fine when I picked it up. It's been a week now and several weather conditions later, now it has a very light squeal when I step lightly on the brakes to slow down. The thing I'm most concerned about is the rugged feeling the car makes and the jittery harsh feeling the brakes makes on the rotor that second the car comes to a complete stop. It's really harsh stop. I can't explain, the best I can is saying it's a very rubbery feeling.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Brake rotor-pad combinations all have different results. Some combinations result in a big initial grab. Some make noise. These and other characteristics are not bad, just the way that it is.

Pulsing brakes may be the result of rotor warping. More wear on rotor - more apt it is to warp. But I assume that the mechanic checked the rotors.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM
albinobob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they turn your rotors? What kind of pads did they use (organic, semi-metallic, ceramic)? Did they/you “set them” correctly? Brakes can tricky.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:34 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

^^^ what he said.

Tell us exactly which pads you put on the car (brand, material, etc.) and I'll tell you why it's making that noise. Also, are you using your factory rotors and like the previous guy asked, did they turn/resurface them when your brakes were serviced?

Also, keep in mind that break-in periods for brakes can be up to 300 miles, so give it a little time and let the pads set in. If they continue to squeak, take it back to the shop and have them put some anti-squeal on them. Regardless, let them know NOW that you're experiencing the problem so that it's documented that the issue started right after they serviced the car.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dirt or pad material being lodged between the pad and rotor will cause these issues, as well.