Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Eneos Differential Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Clon3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eneos Differential Oil

Hey Guys,

I went for a tune-up today just found out the mechanic put in Eneos 75w-90 Gear Oil into my differential. The only part that questions me is if this oil is safe for my differential? As I understand the VLSD is a sealed unit but this oil said it should only be used in NON-LSD differentials. Seeing we have VLSD, is this still applicable or am I just being too paranoid?

Here is the specs from Eneos website.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Manual transmission and none-limited differentials.

Any manual transmission or differential (NON-LSD) requiring 75W-90 & GL5 viscosity

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:56 AM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't have personal experience with this brand, but if they say themselves "don't use" I would use one of the many other brands available. They've made it easy for you.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

As you stated, the VLSD unit is sealed, so as far as the oil type is concerned, non-LSD oil is fine, as it's only lubricating the bearings and ring/pinion gears. I can't tell you anything else about that particular oil, though.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
As you stated, the VLSD unit is sealed, so as far as the oil type is concerned, non-LSD oil is fine, as it's only lubricating the bearings and ring/pinion gears. I can't tell you anything else about that particular oil, though.
NO NO NO... a viscous LSD specfically uses gear oil to work. I quote wikipedia "In some viscous couplings when speed is maintained the fluid will accumulate heat due to friction. This heat will cause the fluid to expand, and expand the coupler causing the discs to be pulled together resulting in a non-viscous plate to plate friction and a dramatic drop in speed difference."

Anyways. Im pretty sure that the LSD additive is for mechanical and clutch type LSDs. I have read a few times that nissan recommends not adding a friction modifer (LSD oil) to your pumpkin.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:05 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The Z's VLSD is sealed. Wikipedia is no substitute for actual facts specific to this case.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mobil Delvac for the Differential?

Originally Posted by dcains
OK..I'm going to use this post instead of launching a new thread on Differential oil. I'm about to drain my 08 Diff with VLSD and was going to use the Mobil1 LS until I read this!

Mobil Delvac:

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...cant-p-39.html

Mobilube SHC Delvac 1 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lubricant (1 Gal)

For the ultimate in protection for your gearbox, consider Millers or Joe Gibbs, however Mobil Delvac 1 is superior to the Mobil 1 gear lubes commercially available. Mobilube SHC, also known as Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil, is the factory fill from Porsche on factory cars and is different from Mobil 1 Synthetic gear lube typically sold at local auto parts stores. We recommend this gear lubricant in G50 and later manual gearboxes (or any gearboxes calling for a GL5 lubricant) for both aircooled and watercooled Porsches without limited-slip differentials. Not a limited slip gear lubricant! Although also compatible with earlier Porsche gearboxes, Swepco 201 is a better choice for these gearboxes in our personal experience (including 901 and 915, as well as VW manual gearboxes).

Mobilube SHC 75W-90 is a fully synthetic drivetrain lubricants engineered to meet the most demanding extended drain and OEM warranty requirements. These products are designed for use in heavy duty drivetrains that require gear lubricants with excellent load-carrying capability and where extreme pressures and shock loading are expected The state-of-the-art technology in Mobilube SHC 75W-90 delivers unequalled performance for low and high temperature applications, including outstanding oxidation stability, wear protection, corrosion resistance, improved shear stability, extended service capability, and excellent fuel economy.

These products meet API MT-1/GL-5 EP gear oil service classifications and are MIL-PRF-2105E quality level. The outstanding performance of these products is confirmed by their approvals for use in axles covered by Eaton Roadranger (E500TM) and ArvinMeritor Extended Warranties of 750,000 miles, with extended oil drains of 500,000 miles. They are also approved by Mack against GO-J Plus (75W-90) extended service classifications.

The performance capabilities of today's heavy duty on- and off-highway equipment have vastly improved in terms of load, torque, speed, and reliability through innovative powertrain designs. These designs have increased demands on axle lubricants, requiring them to deliver higher levels of performance. For heavy duty axles, friction control, wear protection, thermal stability, shear stability, rust and corrosion prevention, and seal protection are features that must be balanced to provide extended gear and seal life, smooth operation, improved fuel economy and high load, high torque capability over a wide range of applications.

Yes..It's NOT an LS lubricant and my Z has a SEALED VLSD which is NOT lubricated by the gear oil (as exposed an aftermarket like Quaife)! This stuff is superior to the run of the mill Mobil1 LS 75W90 and just about any other Differential GL5 stuff out there! The only caveat is that it comes in a 1 GAL jug..2 Qts more than I need. I can get this stuff for around $50...but I think it's worth it for the next 4 yrs I'll have it in my car.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 AM
RDZMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We honestly run Eneos on every car here, I started running it last season on the track car and have been a big fan since. Still getting a little hot but that will soon be solved when I have a weekend to put together a cooler.