Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Stripped akebono brake caliper threads

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 AM
viceversa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped akebono brake caliper threads

Soooo while installing a akebono brake kit over the weekend I somehow managed to strip the threads on one of the front calipers Installed using the CZP kit and I guess I had it slightly off and stripped the threads while attempting to torque down. At this point I'm exploring my options on what I can do to fix this. Some have recommend using a helicoil to save the threads? or of course my other option would be to buy a new caliper...and have to pay to get the new one powder coated...$$$ trying to avoid that.

Does anyone have any experience with repairing brake caliper threads and know if that is even safe to do considering the amount of torque these bolts require?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I am assuming you are talking about the threads on the caliper (internal threads.)
You can find a "tap" for the size of threads and hand tap it. That depends on how bad it is. If you really want to avoid buying a new one, find someone with access to a manual
mill (like Bridgeport). You can then move up to the next higher pitch thread but the minor diamitor would have to be drilled bigger to match that thread size. (You can find
thread tables online). Again if it is not too bad, just handtapping through with the present thread size tap should work
Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it comes down to it, helicoils are actually stronger than the original bolt hole. very acceptable fix.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:32 AM
viceversa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...false alarm ladies and gents lol I had the caliper misaligned and as I tightened, it kept popping back to center if that makes any sense...all is well thanks for the responses