Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Wind noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:38 AM
bkusnir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise at speed

Anyone else get window wind noise (noticable inside cabin) with the windows closed at speeds of 80-90mph+? I am positive it is the rubber molding peace around the window frame that the top of the glass window rests against when completely closed. When I play with the molding with my finger the wind noise changes somewhat. I did recently have the window grease streak TSB performed, but I don't think they acutally remove the windows iteself, etc... (which would rule out the acutaly window being mis-alligned, etc...).

--Thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 11:11 AM
grifferjr

here i am replying to you again (last time was about the potential recall, in which you replied to me). i have heard of one of two things causing wind noise after a tsb. first is the window grease tsb. long story short is when they do the fix they open the door thus the window drops 1mm or so. next they unplug the battery to be safe of the speaker wires etc and do the fix. now when they plug the car back in the car recognizes the 1mm down position as the normal up position, so then when you reopen the door it drops another 1mm and is now 2mm down and when closed the window might be still 1mm or so down. i also read where this is an easy fix. i have not had to do it, but i have heard that if you hold the window but either up or down for an extended amt of time the window will reset. see if that helps. if not there are other forums in here that explain the situation in much more detail than i can.

number two is that people, myself included, have noticed increased wind noise after the amplifier tsb, where they fix it. i see you have a track model and i do not think that has the bose, but if it does and you had that done, it could be related to it. i dont have an answer here other then in order to get to the amp, the tech had to remove some rear inside panelling and when replaced the total contact might not be there. i plan on talking to my dealer about it. side note is i have an appointment to get the grease taken care of but i think i will wait. my conclusion is that these problems after these tsbs are contributed to one main thing. the inexperience of these techs working with a brand new model car. i am goingto sit on it for a while and let them gain experience. sorry for the length just thought i would try and help since you offered good info for me. have a great new year.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:43 AM
bkusnir

Originally posted by grifferjr
here i am replying to you again (last time was about the potential recall, in which you replied to me). i have heard of one of two things causing wind noise after a tsb. first is the window grease tsb. long story short is when they do the fix they open the door thus the window drops 1mm or so. next they unplug the battery to be safe of the speaker wires etc and do the fix. now when they plug the car back in the car recognizes the 1mm down position as the normal up position, so then when you reopen the door it drops another 1mm and is now 2mm down and when closed the window might be still 1mm or so down. i also read where this is an easy fix. i have not had to do it, but i have heard that if you hold the window but either up or down for an extended amt of time the window will reset. see if that helps. if not there are other forums in here that explain the situation in much more detail than i can.

number two is that people, myself included, have noticed increased wind noise after the amplifier tsb, where they fix it. i see you have a track model and i do not think that has the bose, but if it does and you had that done, it could be related to it. i dont have an answer here other then in order to get to the amp, the tech had to remove some rear inside panelling and when replaced the total contact might not be there. i plan on talking to my dealer about it. side note is i have an appointment to get the grease taken care of but i think i will wait. my conclusion is that these problems after these tsbs are contributed to one main thing. the inexperience of these techs working with a brand new model car. i am goingto sit on it for a while and let them gain experience. sorry for the length just thought i would try and help since you offered good info for me. have a great new year.
Thanks for the reply, I know about the window moving up and down when opening and closing the door. I recently installed an aftermarket stereo, but I was sure to disconnect the battery with both doors in the open position, and reconnect the battery with both doors in the open position. It looks like the window is sealing correctly. I think it may be the rubber molding piece itself, it feels a little different than the passenger side when I play with it with my finger. I will try resetting it by holding the window switch, but I am going back to the dealer today anyway.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:17 PM
bforesman

I have the same problem since doing the TSB's for the grease and crappy amplifier. For all those that haven't had this done yet: Do not do the window or Bose "Fix"!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:27 PM
grifferjr

not to get off topic but to touch on the bose thing, since this thread is getting replies and the other that i posted on has not. my main complaint is not the wind noise afterward but the lack of control on the bass. i am not a big bass-head but i can definately notice the inability after the tsb to control the bass from bass 0 to bass +5, sounds damn near the same. my question is, does anyone know if you can have the dealer undo the amplifier tsb? i would rather have the high end bass and the control and have to manually turn the bass down at lower volumes versus not having the bass.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Sixth_Vang

Bump from the dead...

I have the freaking problem, do you guys know of any fixes?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 AM
leg killa

weather stripping