Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help identify metallic noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
mjc1055

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identify metallic noise?

Alright, so after having done some research over the last couple of weeks, I'm still having trouble figuring this out so I thought I'd just ask.

I have an 06 Z with a Nismo CAI and a Fujitsubo catback, stock otherwise. Only 42k on the clock, premium gas is the only thing ever used (sadly 91, all we have here).

When I give the car anything more than ~15% throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear from low RPM, I get a sort of metallic clicking or popping until it revs out to around 4k. It then stops. I cannot reproduce this sound in any other gear - even if I give it full throttle in first, no sound.

I'm also having trouble identifying where the sound is coming from. If I drive next to something like a wall or median that will help the sound echo back, sometimes it sounds like it's coming from underneath the car in the transmission area, and sometimes from the front. Hard to tell. If I am not driving next to something that will reflect the sound, or if I'm driving with the windows up, it's much harder to hear.

My first thought had been detonation/pre-ignition, but wouldn't I be able to cause the sound to occur in other gears if this were the case? And it's certainly not the summer heat - I have heard the sound intermittently since December, when I bought it.

As an aside, the car does not act different in any way - no loss of power, no stutters, idles perfectly fine.I'm hoping something is just loose or rattling, or maybe it's the gearbox making some kind of noise.

Last edited by mjc1055; 05-14-2012 at 09:30 AM.