Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Two questions about my 350's interior/exterior

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM
EnkeiRC5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions about my 350's interior/exterior

Hey guys! I have a 2003 Nissan 350Z Touring edition with 15,000 miles. The car is brand new to me, and I have two questions..

1. It has recently came to my attention that there is a rather large dent (in diameter) in my drivers door. The depth is so small, that the dent is barely noticable. If the diameter wasn't so large (about six inches), it would be no concern. The depth is about the thickness of a piece of paper. But when the sunlight shines down on it, and you can see the reflection curve around the dent, it looks like someone took a sledgehammer to it. At night time - it's practically invisible.

My question is.. How much would it cost to repair such a dent? Is it even worth it? Would it cost less to get a new door? Would the repair be a slightly different color paint and in-turn make it look worse? I need some advice!

2. Ever since the day I test drove it, I noticed that there is a line of grease going about 3/4ths the way up both side windows in the EXACT same place. Obviously it's from opening and closing the windows - but I have no idea why it would be there. Any other Z owners experience something similar?

I tried cleaning it off with windex, but it just smudged like crazy. I have no idea how I'll even get this crap off. And if I do get it off, I wonder if it'll come back if I lower the windows again.

THanks guys!!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
mattleegee

Bring it to local shop and get a quote to fix it, maybe try a paint-less dent repair place, some are even mobile

Maybe its part of the rubber seal on your window? use elbow grease
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
amossa

congrats on the Z

it's probably cheaper to find someone parting out their z and grab the exterior door panel. i've seen just the exterior panel going for around 200 in my area.. i'd assume that's less than having a shop taking care of it.. especially if paint is involved.

as for the smudge on the window..it's common. there's brushes inside the door panel that absorb grease and dirt over time and smear the window whenever you open/close it. only thing you can really do is clean the brushes by removing the door panels (if you're comfortable doing that). maybe other members have a different method

steps can be found here: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...dow-motor.html

Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by amossa
as for the smudge on the window..it's common. there's brushes inside the door panel that absorb grease and dirt over time and smear the window whenever you open/close it. only thing you can really do is clean the brushes by removing the door panels (if you're comfortable doing that). maybe other members have a different method

steps can be found here: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...dow-motor.html

What he said.

The line on the side windows is common:

The rubber seals on the top and bottom both inside and outside may be treated with a protectant such as 303 Aerospace. This may leave residue on the window.

There is also a rain seal and guides inside the door. These items may also leave a residue on the windows.

This is a minor annoyance, and I do not recommend removing the door panel for cleaning. In fact components inside the door should be lubricated.

Windex is a mediocre glass cleaner. Plenty of suggest in the Detailing forum.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 AM
EnkeiRC5

Thank you very much!! I'm having issues locating someone parting out their exterior door panel - or even their entire door for that matter. I have seen tons of interior door panels however. (This is on eBay). I have the silver color, so it should be a common part - no?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 AM
TPete19

Just go to a paintless dent repair shop. That should be a really easy fix.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Gumby Gone Wild

Originally Posted by EnkeiRC5
... I have the silver color, so it should be a common part - no?
First congrats on the purchase! Second, if the paintless dent removal doesnt work, be careful when picking that silver color. Nissan used a few different silvers over the years so check your door or engine bay plaque to find the exact code. Should be KY0, but could also be something like K25, WV2, K23, or K51.

Best of luck man!

Where about in Mass are you?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 AM
EnkeiRC5

Awesome man! Thanks I'll look around for a paintless repair shop. I'm on Cape Cod!

If they can't do it - I'll get some paint codes definitely