Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 Z failed SMOG

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Represent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Z failed SMOG

My Mom's 03 failed smog last week and from what the smog paper works says its the "air injection".
The smog paper says that it passed both the Visual and Smog test but failed Functional test. I'm told the air injection system pumps air into the exhaust to change temp and reduce exhaust gases but I can't find what part I'm looking for exactly and how its installed and we need to get this fixed for her asap.

My brother and I are both very handy when it comes to cars and trucks, but neither of us have ever dealt with a Nissan car before, nor have we ever dealt with an air injection issue.

So if you could help us out that would be greatly appreciated

Thank You
Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Lee R

You should have had a code thrown for this problem. Do you remember what it was?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

VQ engine doesn't have air injection into the exhaust.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Represent

Originally Posted by Lee R
You should have had a code thrown for this problem. Do you remember what it was?
Haven't hooked up a scanner, but I'm told it didn't throw an CEL until the day after smog check

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
VQ engine doesn't have air injection into the exhaust.
Ok, so maybe the info I got was incorrect. What does the air injection on this car do and how do I fix it?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Represent
Haven't hooked up a scanner, but I'm told it didn't throw an CEL until the day after smog check

Ok, so maybe the info I got was incorrect. What does the air injection on this car do and how do I fix it?

Thanks
There is no air injection on the Z.

I don't know about your state, but mine gives you a report that details exactly what "failed" the test. You have to take that form to a shop, get the problem fixed and the shop has to document what they did to fix it. Then you bring the form back to get passed.

We don't do tailpipe checks, it's all done via the OBDII connector so you have to have thrown a code or have a pending code. In either case, it's something readable by a scanner.

Apparently, who ever did the test is misinformed about the existance of "air injection". You probably have some appeal process. I'd start there. Or try a dealer service department and get them to type up something on letterhead stating that the Z does not have an air injection system to go bad.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Road Warrior

i had a similar problem with my 04 z.

go get some gasoline additive for smogging your vehicle, or high octane boost. your local auto store should have something that you can add to your tank of gas. make sure the car is warm/hot before smogging, at least 30 min of spirited driving before you take it in, and leave the car running up until they are ready to smog it. that should do it...good luck.

disclaimer...no guarantee but with a free retest and about $5 you have nothing to lose

Last edited by Road Warrior; 07-18-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DaveZ, Cali is probably the toughest state to get smog'ed in. And yes, there is generally a very detailed report that goes with the smog test. I would agree, get the readout and find the actual codes being thrown. The Z has no air injection system like some American cars, but idea is to get oxygen into the system to ignite unburned fuel. This tells me your probably dealing with an Cat. Converter code, which can be caused by nearly any system.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 AM
IDrm350

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
i had a similar problem with my 04 z.

go get some gasoline additive for smogging your vehicle, or high octane boost. your local auto store should have something that you can add to your tank of gas. make sure the car is warm/hot before smogging, at least 30 min of spirited driving before you take it in, and leave the car running up until they are ready to smog it. that should do it...good luck.

disclaimer...no guarantee but with a free retest and about $5 you have nothing to lose
Dude, are you serious? He said that it passed the sniffer test. How is gasoline additive (which is a joke BTW) going make non-existent air injection just appear on his car?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People look at the print out and read it wrong all the time. Air injection is next to MIL fail, possibly it failed for OBD readiness, especially since MIL came on after the test. Was the MIL on and cleared PRIOR to doing the test? In any case scan the Vehicle Inspection or just call my shop when you have it in front of you and I'll explain everything.

Shop phone 650 216 9762. No charge of course!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IDrm350
Dude, are you serious? He said that it passed the sniffer test. How is gasoline additive (which is a joke BTW) going make non-existent air injection just appear on his car?
yes, i am serious...but i did not read that the car passed the sniffer test. my z did not pass the sniffer test, put in the additive and then it passed. not sure what the functional test is or what his output means. i was merely making a suggestion that is very low in cost but may help him pass a smog. there is tons of research on the internet if one would take the time to do it.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Neimad

2003 Z failed SMOG-eogyp.jpg

AIR is NA on this vehicle. See how it's possible to misread the fail/pass/na by thinking its for the next column? I get idiot mechanics giving customer a new gas cap when I failed the vehicle for ignition timing fairly often.

The magic bottle stuff is crap, occasionally it works by compensating for an incorrect A/F rato that hasnt killed the cat(s) yet.

Next year 2000+ don't get the loaded emissions dyno testing, MIL and visual is all we look for. Some crappy 2000+ cars will get a 2500rpm and idle sniff, 1999 and below get the old test.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Neimad

If it failed for OBDII incomplete it will say FAIL to the left of MIL/Check engine light and there will be a statement below somewhere about that. If MIL was lit it will usually print the code below that.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Lee R

OP, just scan the printout. It will probably answer alot of our questions.....quickly.