Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Passenger window motor, no rest button

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Klrider44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger window motor, no rest button

I attempted to reset my passenger side window motor on my 2003 350z touring and ran into a problem. The motor is refurbished and works fine and has been working without an problem for about a year now. Only problem is that the auto up feature will end with the window going down about halfway after it gets to the top and the opening and closing movements of the window don't work. I know that a reset will fix these issues (I previously had someone put the window motor in and he didn't perform the reset procedure). I pulled the door card off and peeled away the black sticker to reveal the reset button and it is not there. There is just piece of the motor visable, I can see the gear inside the motor but no reset button. I am not sure what to do here, where could the reset button be?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 PM
grimm66

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it off and cycle the motor down until it doesnt move anymore and reinstall.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Klrider44

well i was supposed to have someone look at this today, but it fell through. Can you explain to me in more detail what I should do here. Im just not sure how this is going to help with the reset procedure. I looked at some pics of a window motor and the button just seems to be missing on mine, is there anything i can do at this point.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:46 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An 03 and you want to reset the motor? That isn't the issue. You could back in the day clean it and re install but frankly you're looking at a replacement. Pep Boys has a less costly version of the factory part, but since you're able to get the door card off, you should be able to replace the motor. Use some tape to hold the window in position before you get all into the repair. It was a TSB along with the window smears in an 03, but you're on your own.

I'm CERTAIN there are several threads where folk show you how to do it.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:49 PM
bmyles

There are multiple black circles over the window motor. You sure you took off the right one? I have a hard time believing it doesn't have a reset button.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Klrider44

Originally Posted by RMichael
An 03 and you want to reset the motor? That isn't the issue. You could back in the day clean it and re install but frankly you're looking at a replacement. Pep Boys has a less costly version of the factory part, but since you're able to get the door card off, you should be able to replace the motor. Use some tape to hold the window in position before you get all into the repair. It was a TSB along with the window smears in an 03, but you're on your own.

I'm CERTAIN there are several threads where folk show you how to do it.
the motor works fine, it was a refurbished unit and i had someone put it in and the reset procedure was not done so the auto up feature makes the window go down about half way after it goes up, and the little movements when you open and close the door dont work either.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Klrider44

Originally Posted by bmyles
There are multiple black circles over the window motor. You sure you took off the right one? I have a hard time believing it doesn't have a reset button.

Yea i took off the right one, where the reset button should be there is just a hole. I can see the gears inside the motor in the place where the reset button should be.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:53 AM
Bret86944

The motor went bad again. Going down part way is how the car tells you the motor is bad.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Klrider44

Originally Posted by Bret86944
The motor went bad again. Going down part way is how the car tells you the motor is bad.
It only does that when I use the auto up feature. Otherwise I can get the window to stay up and function fine
Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Bret86944

Originally Posted by Klrider44
It only does that when I use the auto up feature. Otherwise I can get the window to stay up and function fine
Right. Auto up goes all the way up, then down part way. Then you manually put it back up. That's the warning sign the car gives you before the motor completely takes a dump and you can't move the window at all.

My advice is replace the motor again. If the reset button is gone it sounds like the motor is not in the best shape anyway. Just get one with a lifetime warranty next time.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Klrider44

Originally Posted by Bret86944
Right. Auto up goes all the way up, then down part way. Then you manually put it back up. That's the warning sign the car gives you before the motor completely takes a dump and you can't move the window at all.

My advice is replace the motor again. If the reset button is gone it sounds like the motor is not in the best shape anyway. Just get one with a lifetime warranty next time.
Based on the research I have done recently that doesn't seem to be the case. It just needs to be reset. The motor has been this way for about a year now. I bought it refurbished and the guy who put it in didn't perform the reset procedure. I have just gotten around to trying to fix it myself since the reset procedure seems pretty simple, but with the reset button missing I don't know how to activate the reset hence my problem. I'm just trying to figure out if anyone else has encountered this problem and if there is a way to remedy it.