Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP PLEASE ! super loud noise coming from exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 PM
kamilswift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP PLEASE ! super loud noise coming from exhaust ?

Hi guys,

So the rain was was crazy today in South Florida and I drove through the puddle, not that deep I think, at a speed of about 20 mph. Immediately after that the exhaust started to rattle veeeeeery loud. I pulled onto the parking lot right away and I even found a spot that was pretty steep upward hoping that maybe that water got inside the pipes and somehow and it would come out after reving it up few times but no luck. The car did not stall, the check engine light on did not come on so I decided to go home right away. The noise inside was so bad that I could not shift higher than 1,500 rpms, after that 8 mile ride my ears were even hurting. You could even feel the vibrations inside. So after I got home I let it sit for 3 hours and started it up. The noise and vibrations did not go away. My abs + tcs + slip lights came on, my rev display started going crazy up and down up to 1,300 and even went down to 0 when the car was on. The engine got cold after sitting for 3 hrs and I saw temperature going up normally and then suddenly this gauge went to 0 as well. The check engine light did not come on again which I thought was a little weird maybe. At this time I just shut the car off.

I went through some bigger puddles a month ago during previous storm and the exhaust rattled a little and went away after couple of days but this is totally out of control. The puddle wasn't that big but I guess the speed was higher than last time because I didn't see puddle coming. I've read in some other posts that one guy got lucky after leaving his car untouched for 3 days and it started working normally again...

I will check the oil tomorrow and cold air filter. I don't know whether to start the car again or wait extra day... How could I remove the water from the exhaust pipes or even check if it is there? I might be wrong, maybe the headers and test pipes rattle so loud...

I have test pipes and cold air intake.

Any opinions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated ! Thank you !
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
bmyles

Really hope you didn't ingest a ton of water. I never recommend running a cold air intake to anyone. Don't start the car again. I would pull your spark plugs and see if there is anything in your cylinders. Also, you definitely shorted something out badly for all those gauges and lights to screw up. Some of that might get corrected just by drying out, though.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:28 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

add brake fluid.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:40 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep,prolly have water ingested in your engine.
I'd follow the comments already give...pull plugs etc.
Possibly things may dry out.May have to replace your MAF sensor.
When you are saying CAI,more than likely you have one that
the filter extends down towards the grille/road.If you dodge a
bullett this time,suggest you go to a popcharger type CAI.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:10 AM
kamilswift

Thanks for replies guys.

I checked the break fluid and it is full.
Assuming the worse and water got in the engine... isn't there any light that would show up on the dashboard? Service the engine soon maybe?

I have a nismo CAI, my car is 2003, it goes all the way down to the corner of the bumper...

Last edited by kamilswift; 08-04-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 PM
realist alive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong but did you check all your exhaust bolts especially the ones near the muffler. there is a ground that is attached to your exhaust at the connection of your exhaust pipes right before your muffler. if this bolt has come loose it will make your exhaust rattle very bad, second I had all my gauges go crazy when this happened to me and it was because this ground had come loose. I hope I am right and you didn't take in water.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 AM
kamilswift

Problem Fixed & runs like new again

Issue: Test pipe snapped in half due to temperature difference after going into the puddle (I knew I had a whole/crack in exhaust before that but did not fix it) Gauges work properly again. No abs + tcs + slip lights either. Check engine light did not come on as test pipe broke 3 inches after o2 sensors.

Repair: Welded back the test pipe.

Thanks guys for the interest to help !
Attached Thumbnails HELP PLEASE ! super loud noise coming from exhaust ?-photo-4-.jpg