Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Marbles in a Can....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mx594
Also if you can hear audible detonation, you probably already have done damage to the engine. Not to mention if the stock ecu hears detonation (well before you can) it will switch to the low timing map to prevent it.
Not necessarily true. My Z used to detonate like crazy when it was just on a reflash that came with the turbo kit. The ECU never did anything or not enough to pull the timing.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know it was detonation? Did you install knockbox or something similar to listen in on the knock sensor output? Like I said, audible detonation is severe and will likely cause engine damage in short order. Also a reflash can change both the high and low timing maps, so if it was really detonating, depending on the reflash, you might be correct in stating that the ecu could not compensate enough.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
Might also have to dowith load. Depending on the fuel/timing maps andother related mods,sometimes detonation might only happen under certain load/rpm.

My Sentra had its timing advancedmany years ago. Lately I've noticed at a certain RPM, I am hearing pining but onceit goes higher, it stops.

I also asked if the sound was more accurately described as 'BBs in a can' instead of marbles. He said it sounds like BBs. It could be anything I guess but my guess is pinging.
How big is the can? What is the diameter of the can? What is the can made from? What is the diameter and mass of the marbles and/or bb's? My point is that comparing the sound to something so subjective and then drawing a conclusion that it is knock is poor practice.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
slc-350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mx594
Because this: "Ill change my assumption to BB's sound happens only in low RPM's when i gas it real quick. Its just for two seconds but clears up as soon as the rpms climb above 3K." is a dead accurate description of what my G sounded like with a lightweight flywheel. Have you ever driven a G or a Z with a lightweight fly? Perhaps his stock dual mass unit is getting tired and is not doing such a great job dampening anymore. I know mine doesn't dampen out the gear rattle as much as it used to, so sometimes I hear the "marbles in a can" very faintly when I lug the engine at ~1500-2000 rpm.
I have a Exedy carbon clutch/light weight flywheel and mine sounds like huge marbles in a can when I poke it at 1500-2000 RPM too. I'm convinced that the clutch/flywheel is the culprit as I didn't have this problem on my other Z.