Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help with general maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM
DK350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with general maintenance

Hey everyone. I just bought my 350z last Sunday. As far as I can tell it is an 08 touring edition 6MT with 33k miles. I don't know the extent of the service history with this car so I need help trying to figure out what I should do as the new owner of this car. I already bought synthetic oil, a new oil filter, and drain plug gasket to replace tomorrow. What else should I look at doing? Should I replace the tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, sparks? Just looking to make sure I treat this beauty right so she'll treat me right in return. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 PM
PeterPotatoes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DK350z
Hey everyone. I just bought my 350z last Sunday. As far as I can tell it is an 08 touring edition 6MT with 33k miles. I don't know the extent of the service history with this car so I need help trying to figure out what I should do as the new owner of this car. I already bought synthetic oil, a new oil filter, and drain plug gasket to replace tomorrow. What else should I look at doing? Should I replace the tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, sparks? Just looking to make sure I treat this beauty right so she'll treat me right in return. Thanks for your help.
uuuuhhhh, nice pick for starters. For the most part I would ignore the trans drain/fill. Coolant could be drained/filled, I personally don't think necessary, check your air filters. Maybe incabin if you're feeling frisky. How are the battery terminals. Most look well but if you have corrosion I would have a batt service as well.

edit: Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums. Lots of good info.

Last edited by PeterPotatoes; 10-06-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 PM
DK350z

Thanks. Tons of info I feel like I've been on here for hours and hours just reading all of the info I can get my eyes on. Battery actually looks new but I haven't examined it too closely. Everything feels normal so I'll just check fluid levels again and definately check the air filters after the oil change.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:55 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!
With such low miles,there is no need to be changing tranny oil,coolant,rear end etc.
Spark plugs...nonsense!Any records with the car on what oil was used?Or,when the last oil change was done?Some new owners go crazy with the oil by buying 10 buck a qt
wizz bang stuff.Not necessary.I'd check the air filters.Chances are they are dirty and need replacing.You may want to spring for some extra bucks and drop two K&N's in.
Check your tires(35lbs).Save your money by not buying uneeded stuff.What you saved
can be used towards a great mod like a exhaust upgrade.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
Welcome!
With such low miles,there is no need to be changing tranny oil,coolant,rear end etc.
Spark plugs...nonsense!Any records with the car on what oil was used?Or,when the last oil change was done?Some new owners go crazy with the oil by buying 10 buck a qt
wizz bang stuff.Not necessary.I'd check the air filters.Chances are they are dirty and need replacing.You may want to spring for some extra bucks and drop two K&N's in.
Check your tires(35lbs).Save your money by not buying uneeded stuff.What you saved
can be used towards a great mod like a exhaust upgrade.
Yeah, I'd change the motor oil and filter if you don't know when it was last done. Everything else should be fine.

I did change the transmission fluid on my 2007 at 50k, but that was just because I lost some fluid when I pulled the transmission to change a faulty slave cylinder. It did seem to shift smoother after that, but it may have all been in my head.

I disagree on the K&N filters. The don't clean the air as well as the regular paper filters and if you over-oil them, you can gunk up the MAF sensors. I stick with regular air filters for peace of mind.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM
DK350z

Thanks for the responses. I changed the oil today and other than a couple of tiny leaves the filters look almost new. I'll take your advice on leaving the rest be and I agree the exhaust needs to go. I'm not looking to be obnoxious but stock is way two quite.