Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Both windows automatically roll down when door opened.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM
oncidium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both windows automatically roll down when door opened.

Last Saturday I went out for breakfast and when I drove home and turned off my car, I noticed that both my driver and passenger windows rolled completely down.

I closed both doors, rolled both windows back up and turned off the ignition. After about 1 min, both the windows automatically rolled down again.

I've done hours of research on this forum and others but haven't found any solutions. I ruled out the fob by taking the battery out, I've reset the motors by taking the door panels off and following the procedure outlined here, but i'm still having the same issue.

I finally just rolled both windows up, popped out the window switch control box on the drivers side, and unplugged the windows. It's not the prettiest fix, but at least I can drive my car without worrying about it being stolen.

I purchased this car new and haven't made any modifications or changed anything with the electrical system.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 PM
NG15

this was happening to me when i purchased my z. You have to reset the window motors. Mine worked normal after i did that
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 PM
reecepieces

NG15 if you see in Oncidum's post, they already removed the door panels and reset the motors but it THEY ARE STILL HAVING THE SAME ISSUE. My son owns a 2005 350z and he is having the same problem with his car. We also reset the motors and are still having the same issue with the windows rolling down after the car doors are opened. Oncidum if you happen to resolve this issue please let me know. I am going to buy a new body control module and have it replaced. I will let you know if that resolves the problem. Hope everything works out for you. I'm wondering why it is that Nissan doesn't take the responsibility for this issue. It seems that it happens in random Nissan vehicles and frequently for that matter.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

It's the BCM please confirm or deny reesepieces!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 AM
redline06

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that doesnt sound fun, hope you figure it out. Did you try disconnecting the battery? Also a capacitor discharge, disconnect both negative and positive battery connectors and put them together for a couple minutes using a visegrip to hold them. Doesnt hurt to try. Good luck
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM
oncidium

I still haven't resolved the problem, but once I do i'll update this thread. I've just been driving around with my windows disconnected.

I'll try the capacitor discharge as recommended by Redline tonight.

Another strange thing I noticed is that my alarm went off when I was trying to debug the windows. The strange this is that I didn't purchase my car with an alarm. I was sitting in my car, locked the door and when I went to open the door the car horn started honking.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
bmyles

Yeah, that's the panic feature. Clearly this goes beyond just your window motors. I wonder if yours is a BCM problem as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Agreed... mI’m guessing a BCM issue here as well since the Z’s alarm system would not roll down the windows for easy access during a potential burglary threat.

--Spike
Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 AM
oncidium

Default Issue finally fixed.

A couple of months ago I was driving down Los Feliz, in Los Angeles California. Person in front of me jammed on their breaks and I ended up hitting the back of their car.

There was pretty much 0 damage to my z as it was a very minor accident, however, I noticed the next week that my windows started working again. So I thought I'd head over to these forums to update everyone.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:29 AM
npr350z

My passengers side window started doing this...I got really mad after I sat outside and it stayed up...then when it rained it decided to go down...I was pissed and I slammed the door. Hasn't done it since...so 3 months good now.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So far the fixes are rear ending another car and slamming the door. There is got to be a better solution.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 AM
oncidium

Originally Posted by Emski
So far the fixes are rear ending another car and slamming the door. There is got to be a better solution.
I'm sure running into a wall at a low speed would also be effective
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 AM
npr350z

Reseating the window motor? Taking it out and putting it back in, then some loctite.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:43 PM
myfirstzcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try sticking the key in the door and working it back and forth a few times.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:13 PM
npr350z

Or waving your peep at it and yelling obscenities? It might only work if you have a pot on your head like a hat, and you huffed some paint. I didn't see you model year.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 PM
oncidium

It's a 2007 350z. I actually took apart the door to clean and reset the motor. Nothing worked except the impact. Very strange, I'm sure there is a logical reason for it but I'm not about to put any more effort into figuring it out.

Hopefully this thread will shine some light into the issue for other people trying to google the same problem.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Whiteazn2

Idk if u guys new this but when you hold down the unlock button on your remote the windows go down just fyi.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:02 PM
oncidium

Originally Posted by Whiteazn2
Idk if u guys new this but when you hold down the unlock button on your remote the windows go down just fyi.
Yes we know. I even went as far as eliminating the fob as a problem. It specifically happens when the door shuts and the car is off. The windows will automatically roll all the way down on both sides. No holding the unlock button down necessary.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:36 AM
myfirstzcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try using the key in the door, since it works just like the fob, only the windows will also go up.

Oncidium said this: "Nothing worked except the impact", so it only makes sense to try using the key cylinder a few times.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 AM
gacook

Sounds like an electrical connection issue on the motor to me. As in, connection was not "optimal" and causing open/close issue, telling the switch to roll down the windows; impact jogged the connection.

So, I'd pull it apart, disconnect the connector from the motor and clean all the contact points really good.

Quick Reply: Both windows automatically roll down when door opened.