Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Weird noise when I release the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 PM
iDrill03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise when I release the clutch

Ok so I just got my 03 Z about 3 weeks ago. I enjoy it more than any other car I've ever had! But I've noticed a weird noise that has been occurring when I fully release the clutch. It's this weird hum and at some moments it's louder than others and sometimes it's mon existent. Like I said I'm new at this so if anyone can shed some light on this or relate to my situation and give me some advice it would be very appreciated thank you
Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Itzcashew

The Z has a notoriously loud tranny. Take a video so we can see exactly what you mean.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:40 AM
HarleyDobbs

Originally Posted by iDrill03
Ok so I just got my 03 Z about 3 weeks ago. I enjoy it more than any other car I've ever had! But I've noticed a weird noise that has been occurring when I fully release the clutch. It's this weird hum and at some moments it's louder than others and sometimes it's mon existent. Like I said I'm new at this so if anyone can shed some light on this or relate to my situation and give me some advice it would be very appreciated thank you
If it's a hum my trans has the same thing that sounds like a whistle. Not a wind sound like a window is down but a whistle. It goes away after a few miles so I never had it looked up due to its reputation for a noisy trans.

Doesn't sound like flywheel chatter for that noise is always the same when I hear it.

Good luck and vid would def help
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyDobbs
If it's a hum my trans has the same thing that sounds like a whistle. Not a wind sound like a window is down but a whistle. It goes away after a few miles so I never had it looked up due to its reputation for a noisy trans.

Doesn't sound like flywheel chatter for that noise is always the same when I hear it.

Good luck and vid would def help
Regarding the whistle, I have a theory that it is the diff making the noise until it warms up.

Mine makes noise when I first start driving it in cold weather for about a minute or 2 then goes away, and it sounds like the whistle makes more noise when I go faster.

I don't know, maybe I'm really wrong, but its just a theory.

Regarding the hum, the Z just makes alot of noise so unless it sounds bad, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Worst case scenario take a vid and post it up.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
iDrill03

Cool thanks guys I noticed there were a few other threads about the same kinda thing I was asking so my worry level has definitely gone down ill still post a vid just in case thanks again
Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Jbakes727

I worried about all this little stuff too when I first got this car lol. Eventually you just learn that all those little noisy sounds you hear are just part of a 350z. Just give it time you'll see.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
zerosec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the clutch release bearing needs to be replaced ...
but in general the 350z tranny makes some noise when u release the clutch pedal and u can hear it even more once u drift or after some highway pulls.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM
mnd7775

So there is an old thread on here about a whistling noise from the tranny when cold. I researched it since mine is doing it and found that some people were getting their transmissions replaced under the warranty. I got a 04 MT with ~59k on the car, took it to the dealer about a week ago and left it over night. The mechanic drove it and told me that the noise is due to a lack of lubrication from the cold fluid, and that the vehicle is operating as designed. I was kind of shocked when they said that, so I called 1800nissan filed a request for them to further look into it. The next level person called me back the next day and basically confirmed what the dealer said. Just my experience with it...