Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Core Support Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Brehmster1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Core Support Replacement

Just purchased a 2006 Z, listed to have 10k (lets hope its legit) actual miles from insurance with what appears to be minor front damage and was wondering if anyone has replaced the radiator core support? Any crazy obstacles to watch out for when replacing?

Any recommended places to purchase parts?

Any info much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Core Support Replacement-photo-42-.jpg   Core Support Replacement-photo-39-.jpg   Core Support Replacement-photo-41-.jpg   Core Support Replacement-photo-40-.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:24 PM
3fidzhr

It's rather easy and straight forward.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Simple, very simple. I had to replace mine over the summer. On a scale of 1-10 , and a 10 being a motor build. The core support would be a 2
Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very simple fix.

For used parts check out slidegood.com
For new, I'd check courtesyparts.com
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Brehmster1

Thanks for the replies...glad to know it is not to big of deal. I have not actually looked at the car in person yet, just trying to prepare myself for whats coming and locate and price out the core support and other parts I will need.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a real close look at it in person - notice that the battery cover doesn't sit right. Could just be the fender shifted, or the frame could be tweaked a little.

Don't be suprised if that seemingly little damage winds up to be a few thousand - my dd looked better than that yet cost $4500 to fix.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Brehmster1

Yikes...let hope not cuz I already bought it. Hoping the low mileage will help me come out ahead, but who knows. Taking a chance and hoping it is not to bad...picked it up for $5000 but will have close to $5800 in it when it lands in my driveway.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM
K51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a good buy for $5800. My '08 had quite a bit less visible damage from a minor front side-swipe impact last Fall, and the bill was ~$7K. Much of it was the airbag/seatbelt stuff, though. Basically, the bumper cover got ripped off and the core support had a tiny crack, but unfortunately the airbag sensor just barely got tapped and the driver's bag blew and both seatbelts retracted and locked - car wasn't even moving. Even both the fenders and headlights were undamaged, so it really did look like a very minor impact.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myork
Take a real close look at it in person - notice that the battery cover doesn't sit right. Could just be the fender shifted, or the frame could be tweaked a little.

Don't be suprised if that seemingly little damage winds up to be a few thousand - my dd looked better than that yet cost $4500 to fix.
I wouldn't put all my bets on a battery cover and surrounding - its all plastic. it looks like its not put back right. damage looks pretty minor.. air bags didnt even go off. doubt there's any frame damage then.

core support is pretty simple. if i remember correctly you can remove and reinstall it with the radiator and fans attached.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 AM
Brehmster1

It is just another form of gambling I guess...

I tend to lean towards light damage as Voboy pointed out the bags did not pop which tells me it probably was not to bad. Auction folks probably had the battery cover off to jump but still the possibility is there...my experience has always been that there is always more damage than you think so bid appropriately. Still trying to figure out why the driver seat is covered???

I do like like the fact the core support can be replaced without welding and as you guys pointed out pretty simple...if this goes well I might need to start buying these cars more often.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 AM
350TX

Awesome find! I just completed a motor swap on my '04 w/ 209K miles for a lower mileage unit. In the process of doing the swap I removed the core support and I was surprised how easy it was. Not necessarily straight forward since you have the radiator, a/c condenser, power steering cooler, windshield wiper fluid reservoir, and electrical harness attached. It may seem tedious but not complicated. Just have zip ties handy to help hang/support components (i.e. a/c condenser). The part that held me up was the disconnecting the lines to/from the power steering cooler. Make sure you have something to catch the fluid, I used a cheep-o plastic bucket.

When I removed the core support, I still had the headlights and the subframe on (the part attaching the core support to the upper wheel well structure). I'm not sure if my approach would be ideal for you since you are replacing the core support and I was just trying to remove it as a much as a modular unit...
Old 03-21-2013, 05:50 AM
Brehmster1

Originally Posted by 350TX
It may seem tedious but not complicated. Just have zip ties handy to help hang/support components (i.e. a/c condenser). The part that held me up was the disconnecting the lines to/from the power steering cooler. Make sure you have something to catch the fluid, I used a cheep-o plastic bucket.

Thanks, looks like some good advice.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM
WeightLimit

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd recommend you tear it down and make a list of the parts that need replaced before you start buying everything unless its on the exterior. Keep everything you take apart separate. Place every nut and bolt in bags and label it to make reassembly easier.

Radiator supports around $500 from a dealer. I'm not sure if they sell it in sections or not, probably do.

I use this site from time to time for used parts:

http://www.car-part.com

Search craigslist and here as well.