Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car starts, then dies right away, does not even allow me to rev it up

Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 AM
etkms

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Car starts, then dies right away, does not even allow me to rev it up

Hi Guys,

I recently bought my 04 350Z with 112k miles on it and immediately started my full race build. The car is on jack stands and will be for quite some time. To get on with the point here, about 2 weeks ago I replaces the spark plugs, I then started the car, and it turned off on me. I restarted it, and it worked fine and continued to do so even a few days after when I changed the power steering fluid, it stared the first try no issues at all. A few days ago I replaced the radiator and fan shroud with the Mishimoto ones. At the same time, I also removed the a/c system, all the a/c lines, the compressor as well as removed the belt to drive the compressor and its chain tensioner. Of course I also took out the condenser and dryer and while I was up front we removed the horns. I cut all the wire harness we did not need and taped them off. Then moved onto cleaning the throttle body and installed a new AEM cold intake.

Well, since I replaced the radiator, today I filled it up to bleed the system. I went to start the car, and it starts, stays on for maybe 2 seconds then sputters and kind of chokes and dies. I restarted it about 5 more times, same thing. I them looked over all recent connections to make sure nothing was unplugged or installed wrong. Started it a few times again, same thing. As it does start and sounds like its going to die I, try t give it gas, and it does not do anything at all. It does not allow the engine to rev up at all.... I tried it a bunch more times and same thing, stated for 2 seconds sputters, chokes and dies. I got out, looked over LOTS more stuff again thinking maybe it was something i removed when taking out the a/c? after hours of thinking and looking, nothing seemed to be enough engine related as to why it would cause the car to start and die. I disconnected the battery 2 times for about 30 minutes, still nothing both times, it starts, does not allow me to rev it and it dies. I checked all the connections to the MAF and throttle body and all were ok. My friend checked to make sure the engine is getting fuel and the pump works and it is. After reading online and the service manual, I did not come up with much, other then possibly the throttle body/Throttle Control Actuator is bad? What is concerning and surprising to me more then anything else is why does it not let me even rev the engine within the 2 seconds the car is on? I checked for codes, but there are none of course. I am not sure if no code is coming on due to the fact the car cant stay on for more then 2 seconds or what? I am at a real loss here, car is up in the air with all the suspension and brakes off and I was shocked I the engine wold not run for me to even try to bleed my coolant system. All I may do is buy a new throttle body and install it to see if that works? but I have doubts.... any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM
etkms

I ordered a new throttle body, will be here tomorrow. Still have doubts...
Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 PM
etkms

Due to the overwhelming responses LOL!, I wanted to update this since I hate threads that are left to die without an outcome. Today I disconnect the MAF and the car started ok, but was in limp mode and would not let me rev it high. I would up buying a new one at Auto Zone today for $250. Put it in, same thing ^*%%^%#!.... Someone told me to make sure the MAF was not installed backwards, but it is idiot proof, only goes in one way... Well maybe I am the idiot, after hours of thinking, I realized the MAF tube that connected to my AEM intake was on backwards causing my MAF to be backwards in the tube!! I was shocked! I started the car and now it is fine. I feel like an idiot, and I am so made I just spent $250 on a new MAF sensor and there is no refunds on it I practically took my car apart trying to figure this out, and it was something small and stupid....
Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Ouch. That's not a cheap lesson.

Post up the spare MAF for sale. I don't know how fast it will sell, but someone out there probably needs one.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 AM
04.350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are getting spark and possibly a fuel cut
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM
etkms

Originally Posted by russ713
Ouch. That's not a cheap lesson.

Post up the spare MAF for sale. I don't know how fast it will sell, but someone out there probably needs one.
I forgot to mention sadly it was for a core exchange. I had to give my old one in for this new one. My perfectly good one was given away at a cost of $250 for me!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Carter86

Well a lesson learned.

I had to tow my car since my gas pedal didn't work all of a sudden. I paid $65 and as soon as I got home, car started fine.

I checked every where for vacuum leaks and fuel cuts but didnt find anything. I took the throttle body out and found the black gunk covering up the whole plate. I cleaned the throttle body for 15 minutes and it idles and starts Beautiful.

I know nissan doesn't recommend cleaning the throttle body but its better than spending $130 on a new one. It was an easy fix

Last edited by Carter86; 04-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:26 AM
BoSoxxKidd

Default Bro I love youuu

Originally Posted by etkms
Due to the overwhelming responses LOL!, I wanted to update this since I hate threads that are left to die without an outcome. Today I disconnect the MAF and the car started ok, but was in limp mode and would not let me rev it high. I would up buying a new one at Auto Zone today for $250. Put it in, same thing ^*%%^%#!.... Someone told me to make sure the MAF was not installed backwards, but it is idiot proof, only goes in one way... Well maybe I am the idiot, after hours of thinking, I realized the MAF tube that connected to my AEM intake was on backwards causing my MAF to be backwards in the tube!! I was shocked! I started the car and now it is fine. I feel like an idiot, and I am so made I just spent $250 on a new MAF sensor and there is no refunds on it I practically took my car apart trying to figure this out, and it was something small and stupid....

I have been at my Z for 3 months.. have tore down the entire motor tranny you name it. I read your thread and said lets take a look at this. Flipped the MAF and hot damn the car works...
Old 02-16-2018, 04:16 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

Originally Posted by BoSoxxKidd
I have been at my Z for 3 months.. have tore down the entire motor tranny you name it. I read your thread and said lets take a look at this. Flipped the MAF and hot damn the car works...
5 year dead thread bump
Old 02-16-2018, 05:16 PM
etkms

lol I thought I would never be haunted of this issue I once had, it got bumped back!