Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Can't get my trunk to open, help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 AM
JaimeNismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get my trunk to open, help.

Electronically the trunk won't open and the emergency string inside the car went in the hole so i cant pull it. How do I get the string back out? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:53 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

You're going to need to remove all the trim from the rear cross-beam tower. There's a lot of cut-outs and you should be able to fish the cord out that way. The plastic handle is garbage. Try replacing it with something metal, like a small locking carabiner or a key chain.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:22 PM
JaimeNismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
You're going to need to remove all the trim from the rear cross-beam tower. There's a lot of cut-outs and you should be able to fish the cord out that way. The plastic handle is garbage. Try replacing it with something metal, like a small locking carabiner or a key chain.
How do you remove the trim from the rear cross-beam tower? Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Can't get my trunk to open, help.-sxaa4r5.png
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I doubt this (You're going to need to remove all the trim from the rear cross-beam tower.") will solve the problem. The OP needs to remove sheathing from the rear-most trunk area to access the manual release. I agree that the "plastic handle is garbage."

--Spike

Originally Posted by zakmartin

Last edited by Spike100; 05-20-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Well, if it's just a matter of fishing the trunk release cable from out of the hole, then yeah, the trim's going to have to come off. There are a couple of hanger clips for the trunk net that need to be pulled from the bottom trim on the tower. As far as the rest of the trim removal goes, it's almost like playing dominoes. I pulled all of the trim out several times when I was adding Dynamat to the car and installing my sound system, so at this point, I can do it with my eyes closed. It's not that hard to do. You start with the forward most trim at the door sill and work your way back to the trunk. It's difficult to take off the rear tower trim without first removing the surrounding trim. You're likely to brake something if you do it that way. The proper way to remove the rear tower trim is to pull off the door sill, then carefully un-pop and remove the rear wheel well trim (it's a big piece). Take care not to scratch the trim over the rear speakers. Just do it carefully and use plastic trim removal tools and a flashlight to guide you along. Also, buy a few extra Nissan trim panel clips in case any of them break (which they usually do). I think there's a trim removal thread in the audio section somewhere. Good luck.