Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Replacement - now car hardly starts.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM
chongykid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement - now car hardly starts.

2006 Nissan 350z

ok, first of all, sorry that this is my first post and i'm already asking for help.

Here's my problem... clutch started slipping 2 weeks ago so i decided to replace it by myself (and with the help of a friend)... i bought a new flywheel and clutch. we started working on it, disconnecting all of the wiring that was in the way of being able to drop the tranny. after installing the new clutch and flywheel we put everything back where it was supposed to be and didn't have any left over parts. dropped the car back on the ground and went to go fire it up and it started but with a very low idle and didn't sound very strong. went to give it some gas and it just dies. inspected all of the wiring, none of them seem to be out of place and now i'm stuck. if anybody has some information they could pass on to me so i can get my poor baby running again i would really appreciate it.

also, sorry for posting this but google wasn't really showing any answers and i'm not a pro mechanic or anything.

Much appreciated,
Eric

Last edited by chongykid; 08-22-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crankshaft position sensor uses the flywheel as signal source, make sure its aligned correctly.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:50 AM
chongykid

Although i didn't see your message untill just now, i appreciate the time you spent to look at my post (and actually give me the correct answer). after hours of second guessing my mechanical abilities i dropped the tranny and checked the flywheel for some sort of alignment mechanism. for those of you who have this same problem; on the flywheel (or atleast the one i purchased and the oem one) there is a little pin hole inbetween the bolts to secure it, make sure that pin hole is aligned with the one on the motorside aswell!

and, i actually took the flywheel off and flipped it around to see that there was a blemish on the backside where something was trying to poke out and realized that was the problem. car starts fine now!

Thanks,
Eric
Old 08-24-2013, 06:59 AM
David_2613

Hard lesson to learn, impressed that you took the time to drop the tranny again.

Thanks for the update.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:41 AM
chongykid

david, i was grinding for time (parked it in my parents garage 3 hours away from where i work and needed to get it fixed before today) i actually ended up getting to work at 1:30 in the morning and sleeping on a weight bench untill my start time of 6. i'm glad that the clutch and flywheel held up for the 200 mile drive.... but now i'm having issues with the brake, when i apply pressure while moving they make a pretty loud clunking noise....i'm assuming it has something to do with suspension but if anybody has some info to enlighten me with, please let me know!

and, if anybody wanted to know what clutch and flywheel i installed;
XTD Chrome-moly light weight flywheel (yes, i know it's offbrand garbage)

Exedy Clutch (not sure the exact part number)

***i will be keeping this thread updated with information and possibly making a new one on how well the flywheel holds up for potential buyers of the same one.***

Thanks, Eric

Last edited by chongykid; 08-24-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 PM
David_2613

Is your car lowered?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:45 PM
chongykid

Nope, bone stock except the new clutch of course.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Exedy Clutch well I've only heard bad stories about this brand.. I would've went with JWT..

Could be something wrong when you installed it.. I know I would have messed something up lol which is why I don't work on cars.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 08-25-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 AM
chongykid

oh, i have a couple friends in real life who have exedy clutches (but not on Z's) that have had them for years now, hopefully it will hold up. as far as the installation i'm pretty sure i put everything back exactly how it was, and torqued all the bolts to factory specs the conclusion i have come to is that the cvj is going bad. i'm going to jack it up today and see what i can figure out though.... hopefully nothing too serious!