Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Im having an issue ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Its_angel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im having an issue ...

Hey guys I'm sort off in a pickle here maybe I can get some help and possibly some answers, a couple weeks ago I dropped my 350Z keys while on my motorcycle.
So i figured no worries ill go head and call the locksmith over, long story short the man showed up cut me a brand new key but he whent to get the 5 digit code from the BCM ( body control module) he realized the information on the module was faded not readable at all so he pretty much told me to go to Nissan and get the code...

So my question is what do i do now ? Take the BCM to Nissan or buy a used BCM that's readable.?
Or what exactly do i need to do, I've been putting it off but now I really need to get on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated and THANKS in advance.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:43 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,296 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Go to nissan and get the code - might cost you $100 but you don't want to mess around with installing another BCM - you don't know what kind of issues you'll encounter.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Go to the Nissan dealership. They use the Consult to program your new key, and all the keys you already have. Notice that it is necessary to reprogram your existing key chips when you add and program a new key.

Also, if you have attempted some reprogramming for the new key, and whether or not it was successful, you should know that all your existing keys now require reprogramming. You can use the keys 5 times before your car locks them out, along with the new key its programming.

--Spike
Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM
SoCal-Greenz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
Go to the Nissan dealership. They use the Consult to program your new key, and all the keys you already have. Notice that it is necessary to reprogram your existing key chips when you add and program a new key.

Also, if you have attempted some reprogramming for the new key, and whether or not it was successful, you should know that all your existing keys now require reprogramming. You can use the keys 5 times before your car locks them out, along with the new key its programming.

--Spike
ya go to the dealer, I took them 2 uncut keys they did both for 100 bucks (cut and program) not the worst thing in the world. Originally they told me 100 per key For a blank, also to get it cut, and to program it.. But I ordered 2 off ebay for 15 bucks saving some cash.. Talk to them not always sharks when it comes to simple things like this
Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks for your post and contributing to my350z.com.

I’m glad hearing the dealer gave you a break and that they would use the keys you purchased from another source. That is how it should be. I think you were smart showing up with 2 keys. The dealership would charge $100 to cut/program a single key (which is the usual scenario), but would think twice before charging twice for a single customer presenting with 2 keys. You are one smart guy!!

Notice that many insurance companies respect Nissan’s key program, and provide owners a discount. That only exists because Nissan guards the key chip. You pay more for a replacement key (due to Consult programming fee), but save this when buying auto insurance.

--Spike

Originally Posted by SoCal-Greenz
ya go to the dealer, I took them 2 uncut keys they did both for 100 bucks (cut and program) not the worst thing in the world. Originally they told me 100 per key For a blank, also to get it cut, and to program it.. But I ordered 2 off ebay for 15 bucks saving some cash.. Talk to them not always sharks when it comes to simple things like this
The following users liked this post:
EJohn (04-23-2023)