Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Door Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door Issue

Let me start this off by saying it was 1 degree outside this morning so I'm assuming that's what caused this.

I went out to start my car this morning, as I usually do, and went inside. When I came back out, I noticed the door wasn't closed all the way...like it wasn't closed with enough force and was caught on the hinge but not shut. I hop in and go to close the door behind me. It won't. It literally won't even catch it at all. No grab, it was like I was holding the handle so it wouldn't close.

At this point I couldn't wait anymore or else I'd be late to work, so I hit the lock switch while it was closed and it stayed closed. Not all the way though, like I said before. I wasn't able to reopen the door and the lock switch was freaking the f*** out and making weird noises. So I quickly hit unlock and the door opened. I was able to close it all the way, but now it won't open even if the doors are unlocked. The passenger side door is fine.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sorry for the essay. TLDR; door is a piece of sh** halp.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

I had a latch flip on a part car. Not fun.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:05 AM
radiocrash

Considering I have a stomach bug and it's fuhreeeezing I guess I'll just go to the stealership and instantly regret it. Or maybe it'll magically start working
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Can you get your car into a garage? If so, put an electric heater on it and see if it starts working once you get everything warmed up.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

It's worth a shot. Hopefully it's just the weather seal. But that wouldn't explain the door not closing (unless there is a ton of water inside the door?).
Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 AM
JERZ350

Is it your window? Z windows are supposed to go down 1/4 inch or so to allow for the door to close easier / air pocket. 3 degrees, windows wont budge so harder to close. Mine I had to pull the door slightly harder to get it to seal because the window wouldn't do it's thing.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 AM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by JERZ350
Is it your window? Z windows are supposed to go down 1/4 inch or so to allow for the door to close easier / air pocket. 3 degrees, windows wont budge so harder to close. Mine I had to pull the door slightly harder to get it to seal because the window wouldn't do it's thing.
Don't think so. As I was driving with the door not closed all the way, the window kept trying to close that last gap like it does when it shuts normally. The computer kept thinking the door was shut and reopening, so the interior light was turning on and off, same with the dash alert for having an opened door, and the window was going up and down. I eventually just cracked the window open so it would stop trying to close.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
DarkRain0660

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did it the first time the temp got down below zero up here in watertown NY. I left it alone for a while til the temp got a few degrees warmer and pulled the battery cables off for a half hour then beat on door with my hand under the handle and it opened for me. I'd if it'll work for you but it's worth a try
Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by DarkRain0660
Mine did it the first time the temp got down below zero up here in watertown NY. I left it alone for a while til the temp got a few degrees warmer and pulled the battery cables off for a half hour then beat on door with my hand under the handle and it opened for me. I'd if it'll work for you but it's worth a try
To my pleasant surprise I walked out of work today to find that the door was magically working fine.

Hmm...to be continued.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the 3rd winter I've driven my Z. This has happened to me every winter. Atleast once during the first time the temps go below freezing and usually one more time during the year.

Funny enough, my second installment also happened this morning going to work just like you! I'm 6 foot 5 and had to crawl through the Z out the passenger door when I got to work. Leaving work (30mins ago), everything was fully functional and fine.

What I have done every year is liberally sprayed some sort of water displacing lubricant into the lock from the keyhole as well as the latch that actually keeps the door shut. If I did this more regularly throughout the winter I am sure it would work even better.

Oh and also, 1 degree? It felt like -35* F this morning here with the windchill.

EDIT: Haha! I just see you also left work and it was all fine. I didn't see you post that right before me lol

Last edited by 350ZZJoe; 01-07-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 PM
zamfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue here... Passenger door opened no problem. Had to get in the passenger side, lean over and hit the inside of the drivers door - it opened!
The wife then asked why I didn't just let the car warm up and it would have melted and opened.

I hate her sometimes!! ;-)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 AM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by 350ZZJoe
This is the 3rd winter I've driven my Z. This has happened to me every winter. Atleast once during the first time the temps go below freezing and usually one more time during the year.

Funny enough, my second installment also happened this morning going to work just like you! I'm 6 foot 5 and had to crawl through the Z out the passenger door when I got to work. Leaving work (30mins ago), everything was fully functional and fine.

What I have done every year is liberally sprayed some sort of water displacing lubricant into the lock from the keyhole as well as the latch that actually keeps the door shut. If I did this more regularly throughout the winter I am sure it would work even better.

Oh and also, 1 degree? It felt like -35* F this morning here with the windchill.

EDIT: Haha! I just see you also left work and it was all fine. I didn't see you post that right before me lol
Lmao that's really weird. I'm gonna try your technique with spraying some lube...thanks!

Originally Posted by zamfield
Same issue here... Passenger door opened no problem. Had to get in the passenger side, lean over and hit the inside of the drivers door - it opened!
The wife then asked why I didn't just let the car warm up and it would have melted and opened.

I hate her sometimes!! ;-)
my reaction to statements like that