Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

'03 Touring: 3rd gear gone - options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014 | 02:37 PM
JMII

Question '03 Touring: 3rd gear gone - options?

I know common problem, synchros in 3rd are going, going GONE at first it was random grinding, which became lots of grinding when driving hard, to now almost constant grinding even when going S L O W clearly she is a toast!

So what to do?
Tranny rebuild? The problem will just return at some point right? So that doesn't seem very logical. Can synchros even be "fixed"?

Put in the infamous CD009 tranny? Seems like a good idea... so what do I need?
Smaller pivot ball and??? Something about a fork? Sorry I'm not knowledgeable in this at all

Do ANY and ALL CD009 fit into 2003 Zs?

Anything else to look out for? Is this a simple swap? IE: direct bolt in - thus any grease monkey with tools could handle it? I can't seem to find any DYI guide or write-up despite lots of people here claiming they done it.

Sorry for so many questions but most of the topics I find here end with someone saying they did the swap but without posting any details or a checklist of part or steps. Maybe this is super easy and I'm over thinking it?
Old 01-28-2014 | 02:57 PM
mcarther101

Tranny rebuild will cost more than a used CD009 transmission. There is a DIY out there somewhere I think. My '03 has the CD009 which was replaced twice under warranty, at least you only have to worry about 5th/6th gears grinding with this version

I suggest you start searching through ebay/forums/facebook for someone selling a used transmission.
Old 01-30-2014 | 02:48 AM
JMII

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mcarther101
My '03 has the CD009 which was replaced twice under warranty
Yikes - what happened the other two times? 5th let go?

I've started digging around on eBay, I'm just unsure if a buddy of mine who does engine work can handle the swap. He is a whiz at old school (muscle car) motors but has never done any transmission stuff. Like everyone else I'm trying to figure ways to keep costs down. A used tranny along with DYI makes this problem go from a disaster to just an annoying problem since the cost is half.
Old 01-30-2014 | 03:00 AM
JMII

Also searching junk yards... Will any 2003-2006 transmission fit?
Old 01-30-2014 | 03:27 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

or try searching the forums......see if he will budge some.

https://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/...riveshaft.html
Old 01-30-2014 | 04:45 PM
JMII

I thought the HR transmission didn't fit the DE engine. Don't I need an '03-'06?
Old 01-31-2014 | 02:10 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

go look at z1motorsports... they have the cd09 for the de's
Old 01-31-2014 | 08:30 AM
mcarther101

Originally Posted by JMII
Yikes - what happened the other two times? 5th let go?
First replacement transmission - 5th gear synchro began to grind.
Second, and current replacement transmission - 5th & 6th gear synchro's now grind. It's just something you have to live with on this platform, baby shifting into 5th/6th because Nissan is cheap. Or spend $10k for an aftermarket transmission...
Old 01-31-2014 | 02:38 PM
JMII

Question

Second, and current replacement transmission - 5th & 6th gear synchro's now grind. It's just something you have to live with on this platform, baby shifting into 5th/6th because Nissan is cheap. Or spend $10k for an aftermarket transmission...
Well the track I've run at (Homestead only so far) does not give me enough room to use 5th much. But 2nd, 3rd and 4th get a good work out, especial 3rd/4th, with lots of 30-90 mph blasts.

So back to my basic question: can you DYI this tranny swap of CD009 into an '03 or should I take it to a shop? I'm trying avoid dropping $2K on something that is clearly going to break again
Old 01-31-2014 | 03:45 PM
mcarther101

You can do it, lots of other people have who weren't as lucky to be under warranty like I was:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...nsmission.html

Alberto's DIY:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...d009-swap.html

Last edited by mcarther101; 01-31-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2014 | 05:16 PM
JMII

I love how that one thread says "Definite answers for 03 CD009 swap" then proceeds to list three questional items: clutch fork, shift bracket and frame sensor. You can see where the confusion comes from. Thus my confidence is not high.
Old 01-31-2014 | 05:42 PM
mcarther101

I love how that one thread says "Definite answers for 03 CD009 swap" then proceeds to list three questional items: clutch fork, shift bracket and frame sensor. You can see where the confusion comes from. Thus my confidence is not high.
Haha, yes the information is definitely scattered about a bit on this one, but I'm certain once you have the transmission dropped, and are hands on it will become apparent. If you have access to a lift it shouldn't TOO terrible, just get yourself a Hayne's manual, and get to work. I'm sure it's worth saving the shop labor... then again sometimes I can find mechanics that will do things for dirt cheap, and I suddenly become lazy.
Old 02-01-2014 | 01:16 PM
JMII

Unhappy

just get yourself a Hayne's manual, and get to work.
Just did that... unfortunately it's 90% about the G35 Sedan with minimal 350Z info. It covers the basics, so I'm going to give to my friend to get his option on doing the work at his place. As I said before he is an engine guy and usually does not mess with transmissions. Also going to get a quote from a local place on prices if I supply the parts. Shipping alone is $200 new or used unless I can find one locally. Got a feeling if I'm about to become $2,000 lighter in the wallet
Old 02-02-2014 | 12:44 PM
Spike100

Your best option is a factory remanufactured transmission with an OEM warranty. That solution is slightly more expensive, but it is infinitely better from a practical standpoint. This way you have a reliable warranty that you can depend upon if there are any additional problems.

You are looking at $2500 for a good fix.

--Spike
Old 02-03-2014 | 01:05 PM
JMII

Question

I'm still exploring options, mostly getting a used '05 tranny since that's when the CD009 became factory installed. I can tell you the best thing so far has the been the Service Manuals found here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/. Based on further research it appears if I get a complete transmission then I have everything: the tranny itself, pivot ball, throw out bearing and the clutch fork.

Thus it appears to be a direct swap with only a few parts getting in the way, namely: the cross bar support, catalytic converter (PITA?), drive shaft (duh), control rod (from the shifter assembly) and various sensors. Also it seems the start motor gets in the way. Any comments on this list?

Once again I'm trying to prepare the person who is helping me with pain level required to pull this off. Is this a 6 pack or a 12 pack job? or does it make sense to pay a professional given my utter lack of knowledge on the subject
Old 02-04-2014 | 02:36 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

I'm still exploring options, mostly getting a used '05 tranny since that's when the CD009 became factory installed. I can tell you the best thing so far has the been the Service Manuals found here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/. Based on further research it appears if I get a complete transmission then I have everything: the tranny itself, pivot ball, throw out bearing and the clutch fork.

Thus it appears to be a direct swap with only a few parts getting in the way, namely: the cross bar support, catalytic converter (PITA?), drive shaft (duh), control rod (from the shifter assembly) and various sensors. Also it seems the start motor gets in the way. Any comments on this list?

Once again I'm trying to prepare the person who is helping me with pain level required to pull this off. Is this a 6 pack or a 12 pack job? or does it make sense to pay a professional given my utter lack of knowledge on the subject
take the shift **** off, drive shaft, y pipe, is all that you really have to move out of the way, other than that it is just all the bolts holding it on. to do a straight swap it took me and my buddy about 2 hours....
Old 02-04-2014 | 06:56 AM
JMII

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by travlee9374
take the shift **** off, drive shaft, y pipe, is all that you really have to move out of the way, other than that it is just all the bolts holding it on. to do a straight swap it took me and my buddy about 2 hours....
THANKS! My guy looked over the service manual and agreed: said it was something he could finish in about 4 hours with only the Y-pipe being troublesome as they are sometimes difficult to wiggle out and require new gaskets when going back together.

So now I have to decided new or used tranny...

New is nearly $1,900 with shipping
Used is $700 with local pickup

So I can save $1,200 but risk going down this path again in unknown miles / months Seems worth the gamble to me.
Old 02-04-2014 | 07:04 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

it could crap out, it could last forever... never truly know

y pipe is easy to get out with the flex pipes giving you some wiggle room
Old 02-05-2014 | 02:20 PM
JMII

Any idea on how much this thing weighs? I've sourced one locally and wondering if two people are enough to move it without an engine hoist.
Old 02-05-2014 | 02:36 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

the transmisson? you can pick it up a scoot it some by yourself, two people can carry it with ease.

Quick Reply: '03 Touring: 3rd gear gone - options?