Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Odd Engine Management Light issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Mikem1986

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Engine Management Light issue

Hello!

Recently bought an 04 350z, had for a couple of weeks, seemingly driving fine (have owned one before) but the EML came on. It just appeared on steady after I'd started the car again after parking up for a couple of hours.

I reset the it using the 'pedal dance' and drove it immediately, the light then flickered every so often when I accelerated, but not always. Was completely random but if I coasted along it would not come on at all. After turning engine off then on again it came back on as a steady light.

I'm slightly worried as only just bought it and hope haven't been sold a dud, is booked in for diagnostics next week but if any experience or knowledge would be grateful. Not sure if related but the internal light does not go on (ie the one above your head) and also one of the headlamp washers are stuck out, both I've heard could be potential electrical issues and easily fixed - so hoping is related, albeit they've been like that since purchased and no change.

**I did the ECU reset a second time, didn't touch the pedals at all and just restarted the car, and the EML had come back on permanently**
Old 05-08-2014, 12:33 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never heard of the pedal dance.

You need to pull the code and see what the issue is. The light is coming back on because the problem is not fixed. Example if the code is for a knock sensor the light will not go away until that is replaced.

Any autozone or advance auto will read the code for free.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Mikem1986

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pedal dance was a term I saw quite often online relating to the manual ECU reset, which you do via turning ignition on for 3 secs, pumping accelerator pedal 5 times etc. etc.

Didn't know if it was something quite minor then maybe it might just go off, as has done for cars I've had previously when done an ECU reset. Just a concern might be something more concerning.

In the garage tomorrow for the diagnostics so will get the code then.

As I understand the flashing lights that occur when doing the manual ECU reset indicate the code, but didn't know how to read them effectively.