Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help me figure out my gas problem please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 PM
greyfoxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me figure out my gas problem please.

So I've recently become aware of the 350 gas problem where it may be a little difficult at times to fill the tank up and at times it will stop 3/4s of the way, well I've also read up on some Z's that just has a miss reading. I'm not sure whether my tank is having that issue or not or maybe my car is just eating more gas, although I don't have a lead foot or floor my Z when I'm driving. My tank does only stop 3/4s the way and does trinkle a little gas out when I pump but yesterday I pumped 19 bucks and it stopped on me, that was a little over half way, today I figured I'll just pump another 20 and so i did, that stopped 3/4s the way. Now I'm back under a little under 1/2 of the meter. any ideas what my problem can be? And besides the window problem, this gas problem, and etc. I really love this car. First car I bought myself from the dealer...
Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 PM
mcbrown35

I have a wierd fill issue that I think is related to the pressure inside the tank. Try filling the tank when the car is cold and see if you notice a change, mine gets stubborn once in a while typically on hot days and when the car has been running hard... Think there was a recall for that a long time ago?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Eat less cabbage and brussel sprouts, this'll cure your gas problem. Seriously though are you sure your sender unit is not sticking, Sometimes when I get low n gas and go to fill it up the sender unit does not respond for a few minutes and then it leaps up to where it should be. Regarding your window problem, without going into detail it sounds as though you need a new motor as these are notorious for failing, they won't go down, they won't push the window up. they drop the window half way down. There is a sticky regarding window motor problems.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:28 AM
GOGOZ

Try turning the gas nozzle upside down when filling- sometimes the angle of the spout and the low stance of our cars don't allow for a fill up like you would have in an SUV
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM
greyfoxx

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
Eat less cabbage and brussel sprouts, this'll cure your gas problem. Seriously though are you sure your sender unit is not sticking, Sometimes when I get low n gas and go to fill it up the sender unit does not respond for a few minutes and then it leaps up to where it should be. Regarding your window problem, without going into detail it sounds as though you need a new motor as these are notorious for failing, they won't go down, they won't push the window up. they drop the window half way down. There is a sticky regarding window motor problems.
the window problem isn't too big a deal to me, sometimes i give it a love tap and it works again, as for the sender unit, it has stopped half way and as i drove it did rise a little, but only slightly not all the way though. The next time I pump gas I will make sure to not stick the nozzle all the way down, fill her up slowly, and hold it at an angle. I'm just worried if im not getting the right reading right now.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:37 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

I had this problem at certain gas stations and solved it by putting the gas handle on the first click and letting it fill on its own. Its a little slow but since doing it this way I have always ended up with a full tank,
Old 05-02-2014, 04:44 PM
johndoesdamage

Clean your sender/level sensors I had similar problem cleaned them and it was back to normal
Old 05-02-2014, 09:03 PM
greyfoxx

thanks for the tip guys, I'll definitely give it all a shot. Hopefully I find out what works best for, and I'll also try cleaning the sender unit as well.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:29 AM
thespottedcow

Ive had luck just using the first knotch even tho it takes longer it seems to fill to full now
Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 AM
greyfoxx

Originally Posted by thespottedcow
Ive had luck just using the first knotch even tho it takes longer it seems to fill to full now
hopefully that will do the trick for me. how much do you usually pump weekly?
Old 05-03-2014, 02:02 PM
ridered929rr

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GOGOZ
Try turning the gas nozzle upside down when filling- sometimes the angle of the spout and the low stance of our cars don't allow for a fill up like you would have in an SUV
This ^. I have never had an issue with filling my tank or a gauge not showing the corect amount until last week. Car is an 05 with 101k that I have owned since the car had 5k miles. After a half gallon the nozzle popped like it was full. Restarted and got another 1/2 gallon. Flipped the nozzle upside down and it pumped 12-13 more gallons without an issue. Just filled up again today and no issue.

Hope to this helps.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:09 AM
greyfoxx

Originally Posted by ridered929rr
This ^. I have never had an issue with filling my tank or a gauge not showing the corect amount until last week. Car is an 05 with 101k that I have owned since the car had 5k miles. After a half gallon the nozzle popped like it was full. Restarted and got another 1/2 gallon. Flipped the nozzle upside down and it pumped 12-13 more gallons without an issue. Just filled up again today and no issue.

Hope to this helps.
how much do you usually pump to get a full tank? I tried to flip the nozzle upside down it did seem to work better but I only pumped 19 bucks and it got me a half tank. I also tried to pump a bit slower but unfortunately a mustang came up behind me and was quite impatient. I felt I could've pumped some more but I left outta there with 19 bucks in my tank. It did however got me a half tank full.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by greyfoxx
I also tried to pump a bit slower but unfortunately a mustang came up behind me and was quite impatient.

Screw them, they can wait. If they want to be *******s I'll go inside and get a drink when I'm done.

I always pump at the first notch because it gives you more fuel and less vapor. I don't mind standing there an extra couple seconds.

I thought I had the filler neck problem that the TSB was for, but one day when filling up the pump didn't shut off and fuel sprayed out of the neck. So I knew the tank was full (didn't hear any more running down into the tank) and I still read 3/4. So later on I brought a small fuel can with me and got ballsy and decided to see how far I could go.

Turns out the tank works fine and the senders are wrong. 5 years later and I'm still going by mileage. 20 gallons at a underrated 20mpg = 400 miles.

Fill up before 400 miles and you never have to worry.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:48 AM
greyfoxx

Originally Posted by 92K1500
Screw them, they can wait. If they want to be *******s I'll go inside and get a drink when I'm done.

I always pump at the first notch because it gives you more fuel and less vapor. I don't mind standing there an extra couple seconds.

I thought I had the filler neck problem that the TSB was for, but one day when filling up the pump didn't shut off and fuel sprayed out of the neck. So I knew the tank was full (didn't hear any more running down into the tank) and I still read 3/4. So later on I brought a small fuel can with me and got ballsy and decided to see how far I could go.

Turns out the tank works fine and the senders are wrong. 5 years later and I'm still going by mileage. 20 gallons at a underrated 20mpg = 400 miles.

Fill up before 400 miles and you never have to worry.
I have a gut feeling my sender unit is wrong and that my tank is actually full well...near full. I may grow to know my car the more I drive it so hopefully I pinpoint what is exactly going on with mine.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 PM
greyfoxx

PROBLEM SOLVED! so today, I tried to pump gas at a different location. Held the nozzle completely upside down, and pumped slowly. I pumped 35 bucks and felt I couldve kept going. well, I got a little over 3/4s a tank! I can say I felt quite good after that even after dishing out 35 bucks so I hit the highway for nice little cruise and turned the A/C on. I'm ready for the summer lol.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...th-normal.html

Originally Posted by greyfoxx
So I've recently become aware of the 350 gas problem where it may be a little difficult at times to fill the tank up and at times it will stop 3/4s of the way, well I've also read up on some Z's that just has a miss reading. I'm not sure whether my tank is having that issue or not or maybe my car is just eating more gas, although I don't have a lead foot or floor my Z when I'm driving. My tank does only stop 3/4s the way and does trinkle a little gas out when I pump but yesterday I pumped 19 bucks and it stopped on me, that was a little over half way, today I figured I'll just pump another 20 and so i did, that stopped 3/4s the way. Now I'm back under a little under 1/2 of the meter. any ideas what my problem can be? And besides the window problem, this gas problem, and etc. I really love this car. First car I bought myself from the dealer...