Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Can you clean a O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 PM
ti837

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you clean a O2 sensor

I had to get my inspection done so I swapped my test pipes with the catalytic converter. When I was changing the pipes I realized that my o2 sensor is completely black and full of carb but im not throwing a CEL light. Can you clean the O2 sensor with something like a carb cleaner or say my MAF cleaner or should I just leave it alone.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 PM
joshua350z6841

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The oxygen sensor is a very important component in a car's exhaust system. Due to the regular usage, over time products like oil, coolants settle inside the oxygen sensors. It is mandatory to clean the sensor to assure the performance is not affected. If you do not clean the sensor it could lead to problems like inefficient combustion and reduced performance.

Step 1 – Safety Measures

Before you start cleaning the oxygen sensors in the car's engine, follow a few safety measure. Wear your work gloves. Also protect your eyes by wearing work goggles.

Step 2 – Prep Work

Park your car in a clutter free area. Make sure the work area is well lit. It would help if the work area is well ventilated.

Step 3 – Raise the Vehicle

The first step is to locate and remove the oxygen sensors from your car. For this you will have to use a jack and lift the car. Make sure it is held in position.

Step 4 – Locate

Slide under the car and locate the oxygen sensors that need to be cleaned. The oxygen sensors that go upstream are located in front of the converter and the ones that go downstream are located right after the converter.

Step 5 – Lubricate

Spray WD 40 on the oxygen sensors. This will lubricate the sensor. After 10 minutes, unplug them and use a wrench to free the sensors from its fitting.

Step 6 – Container

Get hold of a container. Make sure it is safe to introduce gas into the container. The container should have a lid and the lid should fit tightly on the rims. There should not be any leaks.

Step 7 – Place the Sensors

Now place the oxygen censors in the container. Introduce gas. The quantity of the gas should be enough to submerge the sensors.

Step 8 – Work

Now close the lid of the container. Pick it up and swirl it around. This will help the gas to move and enter all parts of the oxygen sensors.

Step 9 – Rest

You need to let the container rest. Leave it in a cool dry place overnight. This will give the gas enough time to react with the settlements and dirt on the sensor.

Step 10 – Re-agitate

After having left the container overnight, you should now start with the remainder of the cleaning process. Lift the container and swirl it around a bit. This will re-agitate the mixture inside.

Step 11 – Remove

Now open the container. Remove the oxygen sensors. Use a paper towel to dry the sensors. Make sure you have your rubber gloves on at this point.

Step 12 – Final Step

You will notice that all the dirt has been removed from the sensors. You can now proceed to fit the sensors back into position. Use a wrench to tighten the bolts on the sensors.

google says yes.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:46 PM
joshua350z6841

Cleaning the O2 sensor can be hit & miss. It's not a part that is _supposed_ to be able to handle solvents. The elements inside that react with the exhaust gases (and end up producing the voltage that the ECU needs) can become brittle. Throwing a solvent on them can hasten that process.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:48 PM
joshua350z6841

CRC brand "QD electronic cleaner alot of people use this